Saltdean - LBSCR in 0 gauge

kirtleypete

• RMweb Premium

I like the changes Peter and find it amusing that you could be bothered to motorise one of the signals because you couldn't see it. Reminds me why I like operating from the front, why should the audience get the best view after all the work building it it is nice to enjoy it.

Don

Hi Don,

The audience gets the best view because they pay to come in! (presuming we are talking about exhibition layouts)  I'm perfectly happy with operation from the front, as long as you are not blocking the view.

Hi Pete,

Still hoping that I will actually get to see one of your layouts for myself.

All the best, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

The audience gets the best view because they pay to come in! (presuming we are talking about exhibition layouts)  I'm perfectly happy with operation from the front, as long as you are not blocking the view.

I tried to view a small layout recently but the two operators were fully covering the entire front of the layout, there was no chance of seeing anything, Saltdean is of course much bigger and a good view can be had at all times, Dave, You will enjoy it when you see it.

• RMweb Gold

One of my operators weighed about 24 stone at the time and had some mobility problems. He would sometimes sit on a chair in front of the layout and operate from there. If he couldn't reach to uncouple he had no scruples about asking one of the viewers to do it handing them the uncoupling hook. I would regularly allow kids to take the controls and found they could easily manage the three links. It all helps to avoid the 'us and them' feeling that some layouts give.

I accept that the viewers pay to enter, but we do not get paid for our time and trouble we only ever claimed the bare expenses so I feel we gave good value for money often spending time answering queries about peoples problems with their own layouts. There are plenty of big shows where the popular layouts are several viewers deep and you don't really get a good look.

Don

• Like 1

I've just solved the three link coupling problem this weekend - Andy Duncan sells eye brow tweezers and they are perfect for the job. The ones I bought are blue, but he says the next batch are going to be pink as it's the only colour he can get!!

​Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

... the next batch are going to be pink as it's the only colour he can get!!

​Peter

Very practical.  Easy to find when you put them down somewhere!

Edited by DLT

• 3 months later...

Had a good look at Saltdean at the Warley show on Sunday and would like to congratulate you Pete on a quite superb layout - beautifully constructed locos and rolling stock and a lovely setting for them to run in.  Looking forward to following further progress of this excellent piece. :)

• 1 year later...

It's a long time since I added to the posts on Saltdean, because basically the layout is finished, but we do have a new engine, 'Egmont' which is totally scratchbuilt. 

We are taking the layout to Trainsmania in Lille this weekend; not only the sole British layout in the show but the only O Gauge as well so no pressure! I'll take some pictures while we're there, and hopefully there will be another video on YouTube as well.

Peter

eggy.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Great video and great display by Saltdean.

How did it go down with a French audience and should the Brighton Circle now be expecting a rush of membership applications from France?:) Should there be a French translation of the Digest?

Best wishes

Eric  

It was interesting; the question being asked all the time was about the scale, because in France O Gauge is so uncommon they didn't recognise it. The Cercle du Zero did have a stand, but the main display was a Dapol pannier tank and autocoach which wasn't doing much to promote French modelling!  People did notice 'Dieppe' and 'Picardy' on the layout. 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1