Ashton Gate Station, Ashton Junction & Ashton Meadows Sidings

Intercity 125

Hi all, this is the new thread for my second layout, the old thread was mostly planning and a number of different ideas. I have finally decided on Ashton Gate Station & Ashton Junction with a bit of Ashton Meadows Sidings alongside the platforms. The project will progress fairly slowly as I don't have much time due to school mostly. I'll post an update when I get more track (2 crossovers and some more left hand points).

Cheers for now, IC125

Useful sources of information include:

The Bristol Railway Archive page on

Ashton Gate Station: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/w/index.php?title=Ashton_Gate&oldid=16180

Ashton Junction: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/w/index.php?title=Ashton_Junction&oldid=17772

Ashton Meadows Sidings: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/w/index.php?title=Ashton_Meadows_Sidings&oldid=18162

The Wikipedia page on

Ashton Gate Station: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Gate_railway_station

Flickr

EDIT: Added links to useful pages

Edited by Intercity 125
  • Like 1

Thanks, I drive past it regularly and then looked into the history of it, then thought it was an excellent base for a model.

IC125

Kevin (Rivercider) and I were discussing on Sunday about Ashton Meadows as a potential layout as it was on my "to do in the next 20 years" list. You could have specials for the Wine fair, stretch the imagination with power boat race specials for when Bristol used to host the international powerboat race in addition to the coal for Wapping Wharf and engineers trains as well.

Kevin (Rivercider) and I were discussing on Sunday about Ashton Meadows as a potential layout as it was on my "to do in the next 20 years" list. You could have specials for the Wine fair, stretch the imagination with power boat race specials for when Bristol used to host the international powerboat race in addition to the coal for Wapping Wharf and engineers trains as well.

Unfortunately, there won't be much space to model Ashton Meadows unless I extend the layout considerably across. I'm planning to run trains from 1984/5 during the Billy Graham rallies at Ashton Gate Stadium as there were specials made up of Blue and grey DMUs and MK1 coaching stock hauled by 37s and 47, and the GW150 celebration specials in 1985. I may model the Severn tunnel inspection train often hauled by departmental class 50s. I might even run a 'what if' scenario where the line didn't close and continued to carry passengers up to the present day mainly operated by 150 DMUs and maybe a 170. I need to gather info about freight trains around the area from the 1980s to run as well as it is intended to be an exhibition layout.

Thanks for looking in.

IC125

Not too sure of the exact bit of track, or the period, but about 40 odd years ago there was a guy, who I guess was about 30 years old when I knew him, who used to be a fireman. He said that one of his most boring jobs was firing a loco with steam pipes connected up to banana wagons to ripen the bananas.  About once or twice a day, iirc, they would trundle up and down the sidings to let the ash drop out of the fire. It was somewhere in the Cumberland Basin area.

Not too sure of the exact bit of track, or the period, but about 40 odd years ago there was a guy, who I guess was about 30 years old when I knew him, who used to be a fireman. He said that one of his most boring jobs was firing a loco with steam pipes connected up to banana wagons to ripen the bananas.  About once or twice a day, iirc, they would trundle up and down the sidings to let the ash drop out of the fire. It was somewhere in the Cumberland Basin area.

Thanks for that, the closest sidings to the Cumberland Basin would be Ashton Meadows so that seems likely.

IC125

This looks interesting 125, I'll be following now.

Do you have a track plan?

Jinty ;-)

I will post a trackplan later, I've got a 1988 BR one and one from old-maps.co.uk, type in the postcode BS3 1TJ and it's nearby (to the left) but with only two tracks crossing the level crossing. I'll probably do one on AnyRail as well.

IC125

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

there’s a picture of 50046 Ajax in April 1990 shunting an interesting set of wagons here on page 126 of Rhodes and Shannon - The Freight Only Yearbook No.2.

Wagons are:

Open wagon

12t van

GUV

Open wagon

12t van

GUV

Open

GUV

This picture led me to Google and then to this thread to try to find out more about the location. 

Cheers

Alan

edit - added reference to the wagons

Edited by freightliner_bond_57007
  • Like 1