Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

While waiting for some glue to dry, I did a bit of running using the DCC silent Pannier. It assembled all the empties into a train that would form the daily 2.30pm to Saltney Yard, Chester. This is the assembled 2.30pm goods....

attachicon.gifWEB 14.30 to Saltney A.jpg

5700 herself leaving Ellesmere yard at 2.30 sharp....

attachicon.gifWEB 14.30 to Saltney 2.jpg

And passing Ellesmere Colliery signal box.... No prizes for guessing which of these items is due for a repaint....

attachicon.gifWEB 14.30 to Saltney 3.jpg

Those pictures are so realistic that I feel like I should pop down the road and wait for the goods to arrive. Really beautiful.

Hi Larry, 

We were discussing the various GWR signal boxes on another thread yesterday, have you considered the Ratio 552 kit, that came out a couple of years ago. I bought one, haven't built it yet, but it looks pretty good, costs about £20. Of course the other advantage with this kit, is that you could make some easy alterations, reduce it in size, or even buy two kits for a longer box by grafting parts together. It's gotta be easier than trying to alter that thick ready-made resin stuff? Here's a photo link:                     BK

http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/34399/RO552.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, 

We were discussing the various GWR signal boxes on another thread yesterday, have you considered the Ratio 552 kit, that came out a couple of years ago. I bought one, haven't built it yet, but it looks pretty good, costs about £20. Of course the other advantage with this kit, is that you could make some easy alterations, reduce it in size, or even buy two kits for a longer box by grafting parts together. It's gotta be easier than trying to alter that thick ready-made resin stuff? Here's a photo link:                     BK

http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/34399/RO552.jpg

I'd be interested to hear how it can be extended Brian.  I bought one with exactly that in mind and if anything is possible at all it would be a multi-cut job due to the window sizes and positions and I couldn't see any easy way to get the size of 'box I want out of it.   In contrast the Ratio  Highley 'box kit is readily extendable in both length and height.

You could well be right Mike, i haven't got around to studying it all yet, perhaps it was a dose of blind faith? Somebody does etched GW signal box windows, that might be handy Harry/Larry? I'll have to dig out my copy of "GW Architecture" (by OPC, surely one of the largest, and heaviest, railway books ever printed?) to see what the options are (along with other books). I happened to stumble on Gaugemaster's website earlier, their range of scenic buildings look vaguely familiar, the two that caught my eye looked like the former Hornby GWR Footbridge and GWR large wooden signal box, they might have some potential as they come, or for carve-ups?  BK

I agree it looks like a nice box. I learned about this kit recently. One thing I prefer though is etched window frames, which is one reason I go with RTP buildings Talking of signal boxes, the Bachmann 'Highley' signalbox I use at Ellesmere Colliery sidings, but is still carrying Newton-On-Dee nameboards, was repainted in BR brown & cream tonight......

attachicon.gifWEB Highley signalbox.jpg

Thanks for the pic Larry, I have to re-paint my Hornby one for Pencarne Junction and also the Highly one for Trewenn soon.

• RMweb Gold

You could well be right Mike, i haven't got around to studying it all yet, perhaps it was a dose of blind faith? Somebody does etched GW signal box windows, that might be handy Harry/Larry? I'll have to dig out my copy of "GW Architecture" (by OPC, surely one of the largest, and heaviest, railway books ever printed?) to see what the options are (along with other books). I happened to stumble on Gaugemaster's website earlier, their range of scenic buildings look vaguely familiar, the two that caught my eye looked like the former Hornby GWR Footbridge and GWR large wooden signal box, they might have some potential as they come, or for carve-ups?  BK

The ex Hornby signalbox is a bit of a curate's egg - some good things but let down by an abysmal roof which always comes across to me as being at totally the wrong angles.  But that said it could well be a decent starting point with a new roof and decent windows.  Someone - I forget who alas - used to do etched windows for the Ratio Highley 'box and they were very nice; I wonder where I put them?

• RMweb Premium

The ex Hornby signalbox is a bit of a curate's egg - some good things but let down by an abysmal roof which always comes across to me as being at totally the wrong angles.  But that said it could well be a decent starting point with a new roof and decent windows.  Someone - I forget who alas - used to do etched windows for the Ratio Highley 'box and they were very nice; I wonder where I put them?

This any good lads? http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_76__OO__Signal_Box_windows.html

I've had a look at these for upgrading a box I had built 'professionally' (nobody on RMWeb) where the windows are very poor!!

Phil

Hi Larry,

For what its worth here's a made up version of the Ratio box which I did some time ago ( not used yet ! ) but it may give you an idea as to the final model once it has been built. As a build I found it to be enjoyable and once placed in the right setting I would prefer it to a resin cast box personally.

post-20303-0-17472800-1444924376_thumb.jpg

Very much enjoying you layout thread keep up the excellent work.

Grahame

Hi Larry,

For what its worth here's a made up version of the Ratio box which I did some time ago ( not used yet ! ) but it may give you an idea as to the final model once it has been built. As a build I found it to be enjoyable and once placed in the right setting I would prefer it to a resin cast box personally. Very much enjoying you layout thread keep up the excellent work.

Thanks. Did you paint the brickwork ~ the mortar courses are excellent. This box puts the steps where I want them but having bought the Blue Anchor box I just had to do something with it.

Thanks. Did you paint the brickwork ~ the mortar courses are excellent. This box puts the steps where I want them but having bought the Blue Anchor box I just had to do something with it.

Hi Larry,

Thank you, I did paint the brickwork in the time honoured fashion which seems to bring out the best in the model I think. If, sorry when it eventually ends up on a layout I'm thinking of giving it a light weathering and some "tickling up" so to speak !

Here are some more to give you an impression of the box all round.

post-20303-0-15125400-1444928218_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-88959800-1444928222_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-49224300-1444928233_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-85069900-1444928240_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to hear how it can be extended Brian.  I bought one with exactly that in mind and if anything is possible at all it would be a multi-cut job due to the window sizes and positions and I couldn't see any easy way to get the size of 'box I want out of it.   In contrast the Ratio  Highley 'box kit is readily extendable in both length and height.

Hi Mike

It can be extended lengthwise relatively easily .......

post-465-0-42895800-1444929036.jpg

The tricky bit is the Hip Roof and I chose to solve that problem by building a scalescenes roof.......I know there is an argument that one shouldnt mix media but I am not unhappy with the result

post-465-0-33696100-1444929095.jpg

A  more competent modeller than I would do a better job of hiding the join but after 2 year now I hardly notice.

There is a "how I did it" on Page 7 of my Granby Thread

Regards from Vancouver

John

ps Nice model Grahame........you did a much better job than I painting the brickwork......fortunately I can apply the 30" rule!

Whatever the time-honoured fashion is, I must have been somewhere else 'cos I missed it. Gee us a clue .... :biggrin_mini2:

Hi Larry,

In general terms, the mortar lines were filled first with an off white mix using Vallejo acrylic paint ( which is my preferred medium ) and wiped off, followed by dry-brushing the brickwork. I've found that due to it being a water based product any mistakes can be quickly dealt with in preference to enamels. The slates were treated in a similar manner with the addition of MIG weathering powders used sparingly.

Hope that helps ?

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Just to add to the general mix regarding this versatile kit, here's my effort at capturing the platform-mounted 'Box at Llangollen.  The windows are slightly different, and I haven't done the brickwork yet (useful tips above just seen!) but hopefully you get the idea...the sides are sunk into the platform and the edging moved up to window level as per the original:

post-10897-0-81359300-1444940793_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-14765000-1444940801_thumb.jpg

I also added the interior to finish it off:

post-10897-0-34697100-1444940979_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-89051200-1444940986_thumb.jpg

Feel free to delete all this if it clogs up the thread too much!!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

It can be extended lengthwise relatively easily .......

attachicon.gifbox 5.jpg

The tricky bit is the Hip Roof and I chose to solve that problem by building a scalescenes roof.......I know there is an argument that one shouldnt mix media but I am not unhappy with the result

attachicon.gifBox in place.jpg

A  more competent modeller than I would do a better job of hiding the join but after 2 year now I hardly notice.

There is a "how I did it" on Page 7 of my Granby Thread

Regards from Vancouver

John

ps Nice model Grahame........you did a much better job than I painting the brickwork......fortunately I can apply the 30" rule!

The problem with it John is getting the window spacings and sizings right (always assuming one wants to do that).  The locking room windows were normally evenly spaced although that could go adrift at one end if a 'box was extended and that was part of what I was on about.  Fussy I realise but then I suppose a search for the ideal can be.

Actually been quite close to Ellesmere today at the Gobowen Hospital. The GWR mainline passes under the road close by the hospital, but interestingly there is second railway bridge with a single track beneath it. What line is that?

Gobowen to Oswestry line, latterley serving Blodwell Quarry

• RMweb Premium

Hi Larry,

In general terms, the mortar lines were filled first with an off white mix using Vallejo acrylic paint ( which is my preferred medium ) and wiped off, followed by dry-brushing the brickwork. I've found that due to it being a water based product any mistakes can be quickly dealt with in preference to enamels. The slates were treated in a similar manner with the addition of MIG weathering powders used sparingly.

Hope that helps ?

Grahame

Phil Parker demonstrated his technique at the BRMA Convention in Adelaide last year. He paints all the brickwork with Humbrol 121, then when it is dry he colours the bricks with an ordinary coloured pencil (or more than one to get some colour variation). Dead easy, remarkably effective and more satisfying than this latest craze for "adult colouring books".

• RMweb Premium

Gobowen to Oswestry line, latterley serving Blodwell Quarry

I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon walking from Gobowen to Oswestry on that very same line back in '86 - hot sunny day, just got off the DMU from Wrexham, couldn't see a bus and no trains running, so picked up my suitcase, hopped off the platform and walked the length until the sidings just before the town where I climbed off onto Oswald Road (I was staying at The Bear Inn at Oswestry whilst working in the town)  I wasn't challenged by anyone; there again, I didn't see anyone the whole journey!

Those were the days...

David

Maybe wandering off topic here, but I rode the Gobowen to Oswestry line several times in the late 1950s - early 1960s as the way of reaching the Oswestry Area from North Wales during exploration of such delights as the Llanfyllin Branch, Tanat Valley Line, Porthywaen and the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway.  The rather blurry image below (I hadn't then got the hang of taking anything moving) shows 1438 on a Gobowen train probably on the outskirts of Oswestry.

post-14569-0-71788000-1444992870.jpg

However it does remind me of a potentially similar scene -

post-14569-0-58649600-1444992879.jpg

(Note the post and wire fencing on the prototype Larry !   :whistle:  )

My PC struggled to open up this morning, suspiciously after 9 updates installed fro Microsoft yesterday. I'm on Windows 7 and had to reboot to get on. There was a further update today- to mend the corrupt one from yesterday? As a matter of interest, I've had no trouble connecting on the iPad, although RMweb has been slow!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Archived