Hornby 12 wheel LMS (ex) Restaurant Car mods

• RMweb Gold

I can't reference the magazine.

The most desirable modification, so long as you have decent radius curves on your layout, is to get rid of the dreadful cutaway in the solebar. A real coach with such a weakened underframe would not have lasted long! When the model was first introduced by Dapol, a replacement underframe was supplied in the box but I don't know what the minimum radius is to use this and whether they can be obtained anywhere. Probably not too difficult to fill the gap with some suitable plastic strip.

Hello Vespa

There are details here on my Blog of some work I did on mine to get it running with Bachmann Mk1s.

Interestingly I have been contemplating another refreshment vehicle for my BR (LMR) trains and I have come to the conclusion I need to modify yet another Dapol 12

wheeler.

There are also additional pictures on Flickr and it features in a video on YouTube.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

I got a spare chassis, without cut outs, from one of the spares suppliers(East Kent Models ?), fitted Bachmann coach wheels and it happily negotiates the 24" rad points in my fiddle yards. But, as mentioned above, not difficult to do with suitable plastrip.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello Vespa

There are details here on my Blog of some work I did on mine to get it running with Bachmann Mk1s.

Interestingly I have been contemplating another refreshment vehicle for my BR (LMR) trains and I have come to the conclusion I need to modify yet another Dapol 12

wheeler.

There are also additional pictures on Flickr and it features in a video on YouTube.

Regards

Ray

Thank you all.Silver Sidelines,  this was the web article that I originally saw. Thank you for leading me back to it and your skilled conversion.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, SS, now I'll be able to put mine back in the box.

I find that the Hornby issue runs better than the Dapol; I think it's the wheels.

How much effort is required to adapt this car to a 12-wheel sleeper?  (new can of worms)

How much effort is required to adapt this car to a 12-wheel sleeper?  (new can of worms)

Hi

You could use Comet sides and your options then are the D1705 Sleeper First and the D1781 Sleeper Composite.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi

You could use Comet sides and your options then are the D1705 Sleeper First and the D1781 Sleeper Composite.

Ian

I would guess that still leaves quite a lot of work to do. The roof would  have quite a different layout of ventilators etc and there would be some differences below the floor.

I will have to take a look at the drawings in Jenkinson. Certainly an interesting option if one came across some cheap s/h dining cars.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and go for the full Comet kit, might work out a tad more expensive, but way less work and aggro.

Having not measured it for this sort of purpose I don't know how accurate the DapHorn model is and whether scale sides would fit seamlessly.

Mike.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...