Saltash Bridge

post-21098-0-92788800-1429381662.jpg

Its not often that I can include a picture with my comments but I couldn't resist this one. RA bridge on a gorgeous April evening taken from the Bridgecam as I'm not exactly on the spot!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

There will be a public walk over the RAB on Sunday 12th July next, organised by me and the local Community Rail group, with whom all bookings will need to be made. Very early start (0630 - 0845 only) a repeat of the two such events we held in 2009.

More details when a bit more planning has been done.

• RMweb Gold

While suspension chains form part of the structure, I don't think it can really be considered to be a suspension bridge.

In any case, I rather think that I have seen a suspension bridge on a UK railway. But not a standard gauge one.

There's one (a suspension bridge) over the M25 near Junction 12, between Chertsey and Virginia Water stations. Strange concrete thing and not a patch on the RAB.

Nice to see most of the scaffolding and sheeting  has gone which spoilt my view from the road bridge when I was down that way last year.

Andy

Edit for accurate location of bridge

While suspension chains form part of the structure, I don't think it can really be considered to be a suspension bridge.

In any case, I rather think that I have seen a suspension bridge on a UK railway. But not a standard gauge one.

The RAB being standard gauge is only a modern alteration to it. It wasn't built that way!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see most of the scaffolding and sheeting  has gone which spoilt my view from the road bridge when I was down that way last year.

The public walk on 12th July is to celebrate the completion of the repainting and removal of the scaffolding and sheeting.

The public walk on 12th July is to celebrate the completion of the repainting and removal of the scaffolding and sheeting.

Passports and pasties ready I presume ?

There's one (a suspension bridge) over the M25 near Junction 12, between Chertsey and Virginia Water stations. Strange concrete thing and not a patch on the RAB.

That's not a suspension bridge either - it's a cable-stayed bridge. I believe it was the first cable-stayed railway bridge in the country.

There are relatively few 'classic' suspension bridges that carry railways. One is in the eastern Pyrenées, near Perpignan:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=petit+train+jaune&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=785&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qnE2VdPhAtX1arLvgOgP&ved=0CDQQsAQ

Another is the Golden Gate bridge, where interurban electric trains used the lower deck of the twin deck bridge.

• RMweb Premium

There are relatively few 'classic' suspension bridges that carry railways. One is in the eastern Pyrenées, near Perpignan:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=petit+train+jaune&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=785&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qnE2VdPhAtX1arLvgOgP&ved=0CDQQsAQ

Actually, if you look at the pictures closely, this is actually more of a 'cable stayed' bridge rather than a 'suspension' bridge. The clue is the way most supports to and from the deck all run in a straight lie from the towers rather than running vertically (i.e. suspended) from a supporting cable - though there are some 'suspension' elements in the design too, particularly mid span.

I would imagine this was done to try and improve the 'stiffness' over a true suspension bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge in New York used to carry subway and streetcars.  However this is also a hybrid of suspension and cable-stayed, and I agree a pure suspension bridge is unlikely to be stiff enough to accommodate the moving weight of a train. 

Another is the Golden Gate bridge, where interurban electric trains used the lower deck of the twin deck bridge.

The San Francisco bridge that carried interurbans was the Bay Bridge, where the two decks probably resulted in much greater stiffness than a single deck would have.  Golden Gate has always been road-only as far as I know. 

The Royal Albert combines the three basic forms of bridge in one structure: beam, arch and suspension. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Saltash station building is in an appalling state. What happened to the plans to develop an RA bridge view cafe? Surely the buildings are as Brunellian as the bridge and are listed?

I believe that there are plans to talk to the owner of the building regarding its future.

I would really like to see see the building restored and some acknowledgement of or display about Brunel. As is the want of the Plymouth area there is almost an ethos of denial about history and culture. Even Drake only warrants a statue on the Hoe. Scott has nothing in Plymouth. Nottingham sells itself on the mythical? figure of Robin Hood and we have three real life giants to celebrate with virtually nothing to inform or promote the city and its heritage. We have one of the worlds iconic bridges, people love it and they deserve a visitor centre at least! The station is the ideal site for the centre as the bridge can be seen from it.

Archived