What is the best model of a Toad Brakevan in OO?

• RMweb Gold

I do not have any official LNER paper work, but the leading authority on LNER wagons calls their various classes Toads and that is the name that I have known them by and used for as long as I can remember.

Bernard

Agree - I have seen LNER references to freight brakevans as 'toads' (which was of course the RCH standard codeword for them).

• RMweb Gold

If I remember rightly the Airfix/Hornby Toad has a detachable roof whereas the Bachmann one is integrally moulded with the body, which can make a difference if you're adding working lamps, interior detail etc.

For any body contemplating building a kit or detailing a RTR version may I point them in the direction of MRJ No 92.

Although it is for one specific variant the general information is about as good as it gets and covers many of the points raised in this thread..

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby "Thomas Toad" sells for three figures on eBay, boxed of course! 

Hornby, Mainline and Ratio.

post-8964-0-88435900-1429668788_thumb.jpg

Personally I think the Hornby version lacks detail.

Ratio's kit isn't  too bad and can be detailed much easier than the others and definitely has a better chassis.

Although Mainline's model is a little chunky, I like the detail. It isn't to obvious that the hand rails are molded on.

post-8964-0-11171400-1429668805_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-75569200-1429668820_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-40763000-1429668841_thumb.jpg

There's another Ratio one in my kit box which one day I might get around to kit bashing into something a little more interesting.  

Edit: to point out that the poor weathering job hasn't done any favors for the Hornby one. The under frame is still shiny plastic despite the powders.

This is the D&S outside framed one, but with the veranda roof removed to make it more like something owned by a small independent company in the 19th century. Probably no help as they were probably scrapped long before your period, even if you could get hold of one.

Sorry about the quality, but it's cropped from a not very good scan of a not very good print, as I don't know where the model is at the moment to take a decent photo!

attachicon.gifP00900.JPG

Somewhere I've seen a photo of a G.W.R one like that without a veranda roof. (19th century Forest of Dean IIRC).

(Memo to self - Finish building your D & S kits! (GWR brake van, LNWR van, LSWR cattle truck and I think there's another one, which I can't remenber off hand

Somewhere I've seen a photo of a G.W.R one like that without a veranda roof. (19th century Forest of Dean IIRC)....

Yes, an early GWR type, 290 were built from 1871-4. Details, a drawing and 1898 photo of one at Pontyrhyll in Atkins et al. They were smaller and lighter (9' wb, 81/2 or 9T) than the ones built after 1882, some of which eventually became AA16.

Nick

Archived