NO PLACE

Les1952

I threatened a video of No.36 with sound and here it is.  I have no idea whether the NCB ones had the exhaust sound on every fourth beat that the sound file has, but as they were scrapped in 1953 I doubt if anyone alive remembers them well enough to tell me it is wrong.  They probably clanked more if anything...

The  clip was taken with the phone, which left to its own devices kept deciding it was focused on the wrong point and adjusting.  I propped the phone in place, pressed record and concentrated on playing with the controller.  The clip does, however, show the uncoupler for the coaches works....

New acquisition RENOWN (a Hornby HARRY chipped and renamed by me) in the background.  That makes two more locos to weather...

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Still working at getting the coupling system to work more effectively and doing a couple of minor scenic upgrades.

Meanwhile a few more locos have gone for sound and stay-alive, Hornby Austerities No.49, RESPITE and REVENGE, plus DJM Austerity 71515 while the Yellow Peril has stay-alive added to their previous sound.  

A new class 08 has arrived, a Hornby one with factory fitted sound.  This is off for a stay-alive next week then it will get weathered.  The aim is that by the time the layout goes out in September it will have a completely sound fleet which won't randomly stall and go silent.

A couple of new pics.

20210412_103928.jpg.13b1e1b39079c79e386e8578482665bb.jpg

The Royal couple have arrived unexpectedly- someone must have known as the coaches are immaculate. Sir Topham Hatt must have got the wrong day written in his diary...

20210412_103720.jpg.f6649a9a714690d111b0ba2439506c0b.jpg

Sound-fitted RESPITE collects a wagon from the screens.  Note the uncoupler magnet just below the front of the loco- the idea is that wagons will descend by "gravity" (in the form of an offstage shove) to a point beyond the magnet to be picked up by the loco.  The magnet should then uncouple wagon number two in the rake.  Testing is continuing.

After this next weekend I'll swap NO PLACE and Bregenbach im Schwarzwald over for a few weeks to get the running as good as I want it and to add in a couple of small details.  I fancy trying to hide a Tardis with a Tom Baker Doctor Who somewhere.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year since the last post- NO PLACE is having a day out at Belper towards the end of this month so it is back on the stands to sort out a couple of minor issues with locos without stay-alive stopping and then to check all the wagon couplings.

New on the preservation side is a Hornby 41xx that may be a shed queen as it isn't sound fitted, and a Midland 1P, which will definitely run.

Departed are D9555 sold on, and the three 0-4-0 saddletanks, which hadn't enough room inside them for stay-alive.

Pics and some vid to follow at some stage- including the Tardis and Doctor, and some dandelions which are growing in the field at the front.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

NO PLACE is having a day out at Belper towards the end of this month

Any further details / pointers, it's local for me and would like a look at the layout... 

Ta

Ralf

20211020_143544.jpg.0b58fcbfe38aa0e0ea06861d1ec554f8.jpg

Dandelions - a three part kit (base, stalk with leaves and flower head).  120 in the pack so still 116 more to assemble and plant......

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

Finally, the set of Accurascale wagons Santa bought me last Christmas are out of the box and being readied.  I know they're wrong for the North East but the whole layout is an essay in fiction.  Even the dirty WD behind is a Bickershaw one....

The first one is seen here having its coupling dropper magnet tested.

20220316_193714.jpg.ef3307ad1456ef41a71860f5d6dcab23.jpg

How far I'll get with weathering them is a bit debatable.  However I'll get the shine off and the inside dirtied at least.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

More new wagons

415625323_newwagons1.jpg.e33468f84914d5a2357edf4b7a1a7a16.jpg

Not actually new. David Temple made them for his own use twenty-odd years ago and when he changed his allegiance some time later I acquired them.  They've been with the late John Catling for a few years and have only just come back to me.  John had fitted DG couplings but I've now used the Parkside mounts to change them for proper tension locks with magnetic droppers, using 1mm diameter magnets rather than 2mm as they seem to work a little less viciously.  I've also turned one of the magnets in the screens roads the other way up as it works a little better....

270411248_newwagons2.jpg.0100d424099e1c32307491ecf8a8b4e1.jpg

Some of the wagons were lettered NCB and the others had rather small NE lettering, which I'll leave.  the wagons will stay clean as a feature of NE pits were filthy BR wagons mixing with immaculate NCB ones (though the wagons were often cleaner than the locos......)

The layout is out at Soar Valley at Loughborough at the end of next week, then has nothing in the calendar after that.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 4

One I installed earlier.

20220309_134144.jpg.3b467c02b5e50ecbed027af41b1cc270.jpg

The Tardis went down well at Belper when the light flashed randomly.  It also helped people to find the third drunk monk looking for the lavatory - or just the back of the bike shed....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just about to get NO PLACE off the bench to get it ready for South Notts show on April 1st and 2nd.  It will largely be without me for the weekend.  Since I'm doing club sales the layout will be in the capable hands of Geoff Warren and Eric Beech, with Alf Hodkin on Saturday and probably Pete George on Sunday, allowing three new operators to be trained (Eric, Alf and Pete).  Just as well as the layout appears to have a longer future than I'd planned for it.  With bookings now to September 2025 that means I think that Broken Scar will be the eventual replacement, some time in 2026.

20230201_115450.jpg.1104c190a4e5f63d170d61e899a81564.jpg

The show will be 100% sound with stay-alive, the last non-sound locos having now been laid aside for sale or upgrade.  The latest one back from Digitrains was the Hardy's Hobbies Hunslet 16", which will take its turn on the passenger side, replacing the 1361 and the IOW O2, which are up for sale together with the railbus.  It is likely that the Janus will follow them, together with the 56xx and the 57xx, but I've not yet decided what to do with these.

indulgence.JPG.29b12cc3c9d68babf863c4c702874a06.JPG

The indulgence might well make an appearance.  Yet to be photographed is a second Lambton WD, this time using a 3D printed cab from an eBay purchase swapped  onto my ancient Dapol WD Saddletank.  The rest of the eBay purchase with a flowerpot chimney is in the queue for sound fitting, with an appropriate Walkden name applied.  The front of this one is in the first pic.

First priority after getting the layout set up is to check that the uncouplers all work properly.  After that I'll investigate the use of Hornby point clips to see if I can get the front shed road back into use.  There might not be time.

More later, in about 10 days or so.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Broken Scar. That's one only old Darlingtonians will register.

Floreat Industria...

It won't look a lot like the real Broken Scar.

It also refers to an injury I picked up in 1967 on what later became St Cuthbert's way when I hit a parked Mark 1 Cortina on my bike having flinched when someone roared past within a couple of inches of my pedals....

Les

• 8 months later...

Some recent pics.

Belper.JPG.2e402811079c8e00d09bd4b7b33e9210.JPG

Starting last year with Gerry operating at Belper.

Loughborough went well but it cost me £950 to get the dent in my car mended after a minor collision with the undamaged bumper of a van in the confines of the yard.

Aspinall.jpg.dd4e51216b75f53abdd3eb85e425038e.jpg

As well as wagons from John Catling I tried his Aspinall radial on the layout to see if it was worth buying it.  It didn't like too many of the points so I sold it on for John's widow.

coalroad.JPG.6f2c41e4e49b817fc206f3acc46b4773.JPG

An unusual view of the coal road taken at Loughborough.  Shows up some lifting grass to sort and an edge of coal stack to blend in.  Not normally visible either from the front or the back of the layout.

Now three from Hinckley in October

royalfront.JPG.00ad134292657cf9afb4188fe611ea1a.JPG

Close up of the royal photographer, with the young Barry O in the background with his notebook.

royalrear.JPG.73dbfc860b760a004c3b9dbae1546522.JPG

Rare view taken from the back of the layout.  Sir Topham Hat is on his day off and has been caught out by the royal visit.

SirTopham.jpg.0e39200bfcefe251461e95cd74584c72.jpg

But he was present at Hinckley signing certificates on our club layout next door.....

number7atHinckley.jpg.65607e86ac91175dc2fbdbd456d27766.jpg

The venerable number 7 shunting at either Hinckley or Retford shows....

The layout is going to County Durham next year.

All for now

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1