NO PLACE

Les1952

Dodgy hand-held grainy videos from Sleaford.  

1.  Respite takes fulls out of the colliery yard a little quickly but Geoff didn't want to stall in front of the camera...

https://youtu.be/VgctrpOsTOQ

2.  Peckett No.66 dives out of the shed into the headshunt then scuttles off the whole length of the layout to find a passenger train to bring back.

3.  Yellow Peril No.65 departs silently with a passenger train, showing the effect of a powerful engine on a single coach.  Sound was off because there was too much ambient noise.

More pics to follow.  Meanwhile there is a video from CROFT SPA to process.....  

Les

• Like 1

More Sleaford pics.

post-13358-0-48337400-1496907959_thumb.jpg

The new figures in the coal stack behind the wagon shop, purchased earlier in the year.

post-13358-0-45896400-1496907960_thumb.jpg

A better view of the new railbus, parked in the layover siding.

Still a couple more to process.  These later.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

No Place will go back on the stands this Sunday evening to get it ready for Sleaford on the 21st.  In the meantime this afternoon I dropped a small box from the shelf above it and have uprooted the grounded van body (which took most of the impact) and broken the arm off the water column.

The body won't be difficult to stick back, but the water crane will be a tricky repair.

Still, I hadn't a lot planned for next week (just overhauling locos and getting some new wagons ready, together with evicting a spider or two and cleaning track)........

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Hinckley show went well, though I didn't get time to take pics. The layout is back on the stands for an additional feed to be wired in - we had a soldered joint fail at Hinckley which put the fulls road and the colliery end siding out of action.

Two recent-ish pics

post-13358-0-78571400-1509053965_thumb.jpg

Latest wagons are a trio of Oxford NCB opens, to be weathered a little. Two will have pit props in (though why as there isn't a pit here escapes me).

post-13358-0-94513800-1509053970_thumb.jpg

The repaired water crane. This has now been resited to the front of the wagon repair shop. Where it was it blocked the pedestrian route from the platform to the shed.  Note that the ginger cat on the top of the grounded van body survived the impact.

The layout is going to the clubroom in a week or so in order to be inspected by Andy Y. Hopefully he will think it is worth me writing it up for BRM.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Three more pics

Mostly to show a couple of the little upgrades that have been going on this week.

post-13358-0-57239300-1509402403_thumb.jpg

The new site for the water crane.  Thinks- must do something to bed it in - wonky is OK (blame subsidence), but proud of the ground isn't.

post-13358-0-40906300-1509402435_thumb.jpg

A replacement for the man who escaped at one of the last two shows- either he got away completely or has been glued back in the wrong place.  Either way his footprints have been filled by a boss man wanting to talk about some plans he has with him.

post-13358-0-55189600-1509402416_thumb.jpg

As the siding in front of the screens is used as a parking space for locos from time to time it seemed a good idea to have some ash on the ground.  A couple of rusty fireirons to add as well if I get time.  NCB drivers weren't always that fussy about where they cleaned the fire.  .  Yes, I know that some places were absolutely scrupulous (eg Backworth) but this is a run down place which has survived a few closure notices already, and people are more bothered about finding a new job elsewhere when the end does come...   In conjunction with that I've added an uncoupler magnet to the layby siding that parallels the platform, and I've also moved the one in this siding slightly towards the rearmost rail as offsetting them seems to make them more efficient.   The loco is standing over the new power feed to the front sidings.  I can't see it in the pic so disguising it seems to have worked.

On the loco front - one in and one out.  The Adams Radial has gone onto eBay as it is too big to be useful. Inappropriate to the area I can cope with- No Place does have a preservation shed after all.  

Incoming next weekend will be the Lambton cabbed DJModels WD saddletank, just in time to show Andy Y next week.  All I'll have to do on Saturday/Sunday is number it.  I'm operating for Jim on Whatton Parva at Warley so I might take it there to show Dave, and to show RT Models that their kit will go onto a DJM Wd as well as the Hornby they designed it for.

Les

Les

• Like 3

Some pics taken today with the layout set up at Bingham MRC's clubroom.

Mr Simon wanted to work on Gresby so he came up on Sunday evening and stayed overnight.  This morning we loaded "No Place" and brought it to Newton, set up "No Place" and "Gresby" then Simon worked on his layout and I workeed on mine and lettered the latest arrival, first checking what chip (if any) was inside.

post-13358-0-15975300-1509999256_thumb.jpg

Showing the layout set up with the new lighting switched on but the layout curtain not fitted.  This shot gives a good idea of how it sits on two of "Croft Spa's trestles with the single leg supporting the fiddle yard. The trestles are oversized, being 2'9 across rather than the 2' of "No Place", but I sold the 2' trestles with "Furtwangen Ost" and sharing trestles means I have two fewer in the shed.

post-13358-0-76319400-1509999468_thumb.jpg

Peckett No.1 pulls Lambton-cabbed WD No.51 out of the workshop following a repaint.  We had a diversion via Newark Sorting Office on the way to collect the parcel containing No.51 as Royal Mail managed to deliver it on Saturday 5 minutes after we'd gone off shopping.

post-13358-0-98196500-1509999640_thumb.jpg

No.51 left to raise steam.

post-13358-0-40578600-1509999707_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile 0-6-2 tank no.42 has arrived and been left outside the wagon shops.  No.1 has gone off to the exchange sidings to collect a couple of wagons.

post-13358-0-82156400-1509999816_thumb.jpg

No.51 has moved over to the lay-by siding allowing a look at its front end.

post-13358-0-05299900-1509999878_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile No.1 has pushed a couple of Oxford NCB wagons loaded with pit props out of the way.

post-13358-0-17056300-1509999960_thumb.jpg

Lastly, the pile of ash has now got its rusty fire irons.

Edited because I clicked post instead of preview half-way through composting this rubbish. Note the continuity error in the photographs......

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've also got the RT Models cab in a drawer somewhere until I muster the courage to use it!

The two Lambton locos look great together. Of course I assume that the WD went and made use of the wye up the line in between photos ;)

What make is the 0-6-2T?

I've also got the RT Models cab in a drawer somewhere until I muster the courage to use it!

The two Lambton locos look great together. Of course I assume that the WD went and made use of the wye up the line in between photos ;)What make is the 0-6-2T?

I'm not entirely sure.  I thought it was a Wills one.  It came from David Temple's showcase when he was having a clear out.  All I've done to it is fitted it for DCC.   It doesn't have the right cab for no.42 (and is too small), but would be right for 67 - it is a Taff Vale tank.

I may get round to renumbering it - assuming I can find plates for GORDON.  Otherwise I might look to see if any other TVR tanks got into the North East.  I don't use it that much as it is a bit big for the layout and doesn't have an auto coupler on either end.

All the very best.

Les

• 1 month later...

Christmas update

The layout is still sitting on the workbench waiting for me to do some more work on it.  The board over the top is to protect it from boxes etc falling off the shelf above.  Under the bench you can see I've started tidying up (it won't last)

post-13358-0-44054600-1513803476_thumb.jpg

Developments-

Andy has told me he wants No Place in the Spring BRM - just in time for Manchester in May.  Must get the flier updated before then.

I have four more Pete Goss figures laid on the grass at the front while I decide where to site them, and I've bookmarked some more Prieser funnies on eBay.

Loco stock incoming-  a High Level "Stagshaw" was due in the summer from David Temple, but is now promised in time for Manchester, a red Barclay 0-4-0ST from Hattons for the colliery stock, an SECR Class P from Hattons for the Preservation Society, a DJM South Hetton WD on pre-order with Sherwood Models, a GWR 1361 class from Kernow, and an LSWR B4 0-4-0T from Dapol.  The wallet will definitely be creaking when these all appear in the spring as the "Stagshaw" is the only one prepaid....

There is also an Isle of Wight O2 bought with quartering issues waiting for Mr Simon to sort it out over Christmas.

.. and I am (slowly) working on improving the wagon stock.....

More in Spring. Merry Christmas to one and all.

Les

• Like 5

The layout is currently hidden by Gresby (all but).  Developments for now will just involve upgrading the wagon fleet ready for Manchester

post-13358-0-10763500-1514745927_thumb.jpg

However, the Isle of Wight O2 is now ready for service, seen here parked at the water crane- a shot taken by perching the camera on top of Gresby and using Simon's layout as a tripod.  The quartering issue that caused it to be an NQP was sorted by Mr Simon, and then I jolted the gearing to the right place and off it went.  It now has a Peter Goss driver.

post-13358-0-51105700-1514745939_thumb.jpg

The O2 will go to the Bingham MRC Clubroom at RAF Newton for running in on Phoenix Park.  I wonder if the Hattons Class P will beat the Kernow 1361 to be the next arrival?

Les

• Like 1

When you are planning don't forget to allow adequate length for buffer stops.

Gordon A

Ah, now- there are no buffer stops on the layout at all.  Quite a few smaller collieries didn't have them either because they were demolished and not replaced or because they were never there to start with.  On No Place the headshunt ends in a wall as do two of the sidings..  The two screen roads disappear through the end onto a small shelf to collect wagons.  Buffer stops here are offscene.  Three roads finish inside the two sheds, things stopping when they hit the far end of the shed. That only leaves the lay-by siding which just sort of peters out in a pile of ballast, foliage and muck....  Even the single fiddle yard road ends in a wooden block.

The headshunt WAS measured, to just take the wheelbase of a K1 and tender with the loco buffers hard against the end wall and the point blade just clearing the tender wheels.  The Q6 is the same length.  This measurement is a cunning ploy to stop me buying a fleet of A3s and A4s.

The O2 is about the same overall size as a WD saddletank so is just right for the one-coach train that shuttles in and out.  It will take its turn on this with other clean locos, leaving the dirty ones to shunt the screens.

Newark Toy Fair today netted a trio of better hopper wagons taking some of the pressure off improving the existing fleet.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Apologises for my obviously late comment.

For some reason I only saw the first page of this thread.

Looking good.

Gordon A

Actually I must get round to putting a couple of decrepit buffering planks on the walls that stock is expected to buffer up to.  Having been installed at the latest when the Ministry of Fuel and Power took over the site during the war they will have become very tatty by the seventies, which is when the layout is set.

Many thanks for setting a train of thought in motion.

All the best

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worksop show went very well.  Venue is right in the centre of the town.  Unloading and loading were a doddle.  Even back home 55 mins after the show closed....

We had Stamford East (Robin Fox) on our right and the Model Bus Federation stand on the left (stage right/left).  Pic shows Geoff looking bemused as he shunts the screens.

post-13358-0-79303000-1516481186_thumb.jpg

It looks like we have an invitation to the one-day show at Woodthorpe in October.

On the down side- the Bachmann 08 failed- it just wouldn't run.  It was only at the end of the day I thought to try it with address 03- and off it went - in reverse.  As this was a factory-fitted loco yet another Bachmann decoder loses the plot.  The loco doesn't do enough mileage to make it worthwhile replacing the chip.  I'll just reprogram it. The weathered red WD wouldn't go- I think this time it is my fault- the address on the list looks wrong.  I suspect wjhen I put it on the programming track I'll find it works perfectly if you talk to it by its right number....

The Lambton cab didn't run- I left it in its box on the shelf at home by mistake- it will be in the box to go to Manchester in May.  Also not running was the O2- I've not yet got round to chipping it, mostly as I'd mislaid the stock of chips I got in.  Another one to debut at Manchester.  

I also have a cab to take to Digitrains to check over..  Fortunately there is always at least one spare cab in the box.

On the positive side the layout (mostly) ran well.  One or two minor tweaks to make before Manchester, but I don't need to start these before April (after Ally Pally with Hawthorn Dene.

A couple more pics-

post-13358-0-26723900-1516481737_thumb.jpg

The two Pecketts showing their new whistles, one courtesy of a Hornby Thomas (repainted LBSCR tank) that Mr Simon had when but a little horror, and the other courtesy of a chimneyless Mainline J72 body from the scrap box.

post-13358-0-46784500-1516481866_thumb.jpg

A close-up of Hunslet 3696, which spent the last hour shunting the colliery.  Hunslet 3699 and the 05 diesel shared the work on the screens.  The Heljan 05 actually completed a shift without any bits dropping off- a first....

More to follow.

Les

• Like 3

After the show, day one...

The WD that wouldn't budge turned out to be a simple error.  Its address is on the crib sheet is 3890 whereas checking it the actual adress is 3891.  It would help if the NCB Yorkshire area actually put numbers on their engines rather than having to rely on the works number-

The O2 has now been chipped and will have some run time at the club on Tuesday.

The 08 is still to do, and I've a couple of figures to glue back after they came adrift.

Meanwhile another pic.  This one ran faultlessly all day on the passenger service despite the coupling on the front really being too narrow..  Pic taken through the water crane which I managed not to get in shot....  Amazing how the Kernow shed looks just right with a Beattie sat in front f it.  Must weather the van body a bit.

post-13358-0-86053000-1516562654_thumb.jpg

Still more pics in the camera to bore everyone with.

Les

• Like 2

Two more pics

Having watched Andy Y photograph the layout I've been experimenting with low angles from unusual places. Of course my camera doesn't have the gizmo that gives Andy the ability to create infinite depth of field.

From the weekend- the Royal Party, complete with corgi.

post-13358-0-62866800-1516648275_thumb.jpg

Note that a second security man has appeared.  Perhaps he has now decided the drunk monks don't constitute a threat.  The light grey man lurking in the background is a pointsman.  Placed to show which is an electric point- at least that is the theory.  In practice you can't actually see him from behind the layout so have to use the labels on the back wall.

post-13358-0-72987000-1516648365_thumb.jpg

Taken today.  A distinctly non North-Eastern loco standing by the shed.    It can do this now without emitting high-pitched buzzing noises.  I gather it won't be joined by the Class P until May- I wonder if that one will appear before the Manchester DCC show...  That leaves STAGSHAW, the Barclay saddletank, another WD, the LSWR B4 and the 1361 in the race to be the next new arrival.

The piece of wood at a funny angle in the distance is the fiddle yard front-piece, which is placed there so it doesn't get lost.  The wooden triangle is the protective sheet of ply to stop me dropping more junk onto the layout from the shelves above.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Two more pics to bore you rigid entertain you

post-13358-0-52843000-1516735053_thumb.jpg

A ground level shot of one of the Pete Goss look-alike blokes shovelling stone coal behind the wagon repair shed.  Shows up that I need to bed the sack pile in a little more on the left.  Fortunately it looks OK from the angle it can be seen from by punters who fail to poke their cameras into places they are not supposed to poke their cameras.....

This shot was taken at Worksop show.  The one below was another from yesterday.

post-13358-0-00220800-1516735311_thumb.jpg

The O2 stands in the Beattie's location in front of the shed.  It got quite a bit of track time on the club layout Phoenix Park this morning and can probably now be described as run in. 

Those schoolboys (who look remarkably like John and Barry from Hawthorn Dene) are still standing there wondering if they ought to ask the Queen for her autograph.  They are thinking that if they get it nobody will believe it is real in any event, so why bother.  Besides that they don't much like the bulge in the jacket of the new security bloke - see previous post.  The ginger cat on top of the van body isn't impressed with this drivel.  Another Pete Goss look-alike moving coal on the far right.

Still a few more but not just yet.

Les

• Like 2

And another pair...

post-13358-0-27245700-1516832706_thumb.jpg

Reactivated D3232 shunts the screens.  The chip had reset itself to short address of 03, forgotten its long address of 3232 completely, also forgotten its CV settings that effectively turned off coasting, and the direction bit was to have the cab as the front end.  As it is a factory-fitted loco I can only assume it has a Bachmann chip inside.  My surviving blue Bachmann chips on "Hawthorn Dene" have the habit of losing the plot and needing reprogramming.  Obviously "cheap as chips" means forgetful when it comes to these budget decoders....

post-13358-0-53486700-1516832945_thumb.jpg

The 05 rests in the shed.  Man with packing case has been glued back into place- he was adrift on arrival at Worksop- the ballast he was glued to had come unstuck.  The 05 completed a shift at Worksop without losing any parts, though taking it out of the stock box this afternoon the cab has worked loose (again....)

More to follow.

Les

• Like 5

Still more pics

post-13358-0-28754800-1517091926_thumb.jpg

Another view of the revitalised 08 shunting the screens.

post-13358-0-10519800-1517092003_thumb.jpg

Sackman - another Pete Goss lookalike....

Time for a quick meanwhile.....  I was speculating on the identity of the next loco to arrive.  The next loco has arrived, or more accurately been reactivated.  Pics to follow when I've had chance to get into the shed and take them (Monday).  Not a lot of point in trying to guess except I needed a very small chip for it.

Les

• Like 1

As threatened promised, a pic of the "new" loco.

post-13358-0-58319300-1517346051_thumb.jpg

The chassis is the one that was under the RSH 0-6-0T.  However a problem with the handrails has put that on hold. As a result I decided to put the original body back until I've finished sorting the new one.  Mosquito nameplate keeps coming off- fortunately not yet lost....  The green cylinders are the colour of the RSH.

post-13358-0-35168000-1517346074_thumb.jpg

BRM thudded through the door yesterday.  Nice pic by Andy Y in the "next issue preview" page.  Not the lead article it seems but playing second fiddle to Peter Denny's Grandborough Junction and Leighton Buzzard Linslade isn't to be sneezed at...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2