RailCrew products - could they be used in the UK?

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

We've recently launched a series of accessories called RailCrew.  

Info is here:

http://www.rapidotrains.com/railcrew.html

Video intro is here:

https://youtu.be/BEJryNs_ptA

I wonder if there will be a market for these in the UK.

The uncouplers work with Kadee couplers, for those of you who have converted your stock to Kadees.  

The switch machines work with Peco switches, both with the springs on and off (though if the springs are off the switch machine will last longer).  The tall switch stands are obviously North American designs, but I wonder of the lower 20C design would work in a UK setting.

Any thoughts?

-Jason

Not an answer to your question about the British market, I know, but I'm really interested in some uncouplers for my Australian prototype layout (Kadees, passenger cars, high platforms blocking access to the couplers). Just checking your website, it looks like postage on a direct order from Canada isn't as painful as I'd feared. Hmm...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason,

As a long-time user of Kadees on UK outline models (just coming up to my 21st year) the uncouplers look the business.

They appear to offer the opportunity to replace between-the-rails Kadee permanent magnets on established layouts without major disruption.

Can we order them on-line from this side of the pond?

John

A number of British pre-grouping lines used a rotating ground signal, often connected directly to the points.  One such is the London Brighton and South Coast railway. They look a bit like the lower design.  More info on the LBSC ones can be found at http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/page12.html - box at bottom right of page. Others are available from MSE/51L http://www.modelsignals.com/4mm_scale_frame.htm  I am sure these etchings could be married to the Switch Machine.

• RMweb Gold

A number of British pre-grouping lines used a rotating ground signal, often connected directly to the points.  One such is the London Brighton and South Coast railway. They look a bit like the lower design.  More info on the LBSC ones can be found at http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/page12.html - box at bottom right of page. Others are available from MSE/51L http://www.modelsignals.com/4mm_scale_frame.htm  I am sure these etchings could be married to the Switch Machine.

I thought the same immediately I saw the info in the newsletter and then when I watched the video.  The low switchstand would need some adaptation as the British outline rotating signals were all lower than even that one and it does depend very much on the Railway and period being modelled - I doubt there were any left in use after the mid '60s  (but it would go rather well with a Stirling Single - clever marketing there Jason  :sungum: )

• RMweb Gold

The uncouplers certainly and I'm already watching out for them. The point motors again I like the retro fitting but I'm not so sure about using them with copperclad built points as it still looks to snap across. Any chance of a video from above?

One thing is drilling up through from beneath obviously risks going too far so how much tolerance is there on depth below rail height with the uncouplers?

Hi Jason,

As a long-time user of Kadees on UK outline models (just coming up to my 21st year) the uncouplers look the business.

They appear to offer the opportunity to replace between-the-rails Kadee permanent magnets on established layouts without major disruption.

Can we order them on-line from this side of the pond?

John

You can definitely order from the UK from our web site already.  If we have a of UK interest we might be able to sell them from a UK supplier.

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

Very interested in the uncouplers.

I could be tempted with the switch machine for my 0-16.5 narrow gauge layout.

Just wondering if the switch machine could also be used to work other things. For example, to open the gates through which trains go i to the factory on my ng layout. The switches could be wired to only power the track when the gates are open.

The February newsletter mentioned May for the first shipment - http://rapidotrains.com/rapidonews65.html#anchor4

I doubt they will come before late June.  The uncouplers are in production now and we are waiting for a final sample of the switch machines that address a potential QC hazard with the microswitches.  Bill and I are going to China next week and we'll solve it there.

-Jason

• 2 weeks later...

maybe crossing gate controller.

or LNER semaphore signal with led driver with block detection for block operation with DCC feedback system. 

as the Dapol system seams strange as I don't see how the DCC system can know it's state, plus they don't do lner :dontknow:

maybe something for tram trollypole reversing. ( I want working trams on my layout too ;)  when I get a bit more space )

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I doubt they will come before late June.  The uncouplers are in production now and we are waiting for a final sample of the switch machines that address a potential QC hazard with the microswitches.  Bill and I are going to China next week and we'll solve it there.

-Jason

Jason,

Is there any news on the availability of these switch machines, please?

Dave

Jason,

Is there any news on the availability of these switch machines, please?

Dave

Actually, yes. Production is finishing up and the first shipment of both switch machines and uncouplers will leave the factory next week.

We're quite excited by this, as you can imagine!

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

Actually, yes. Production is finishing up and the first shipment of both switch machines and uncouplers will leave the factory next week.

We're quite excited by this, as you can imagine!

-Jason

Thanks Jason.

I was poised to place an order but just thought to check first. I'll sort out the order tomorrow (promise!).

Dave

EDIT

PS - order placed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jason/Gerald,

I'm wiring in the layout, and am awaiting the arrival of the switch machines. Now bearing in mind that the switch machines come with their own operating switch for the control panel (thus not the usual probe-and-stud system I normally use), I need to know how many wires to lay in for each switch machine. Do I need:

• Three wires, i.e. coil 1, coil 2, common return
  • Four wires, i.e. 2 per coil
  • Two wires, i.e. polarity reversal operation

Are the mounting hole dimensions on the draft installation instructions for the switch machine still valid (1 1/8" diameter, 1" deep)?

My choice of this switch machine for the front-of-layout turnouts is due to the easy ability to reproduce the direction indicator shown below.

post-6816-0-26869100-1445678086.jpg

Dave

Jason/Gerald,

I'm wiring in the layout, and am awaiting the arrival of the switch machines. Now bearing in mind that the switch machines come with their own operating 

Just to be clear I don't work for Rapido, I just help spread the news of any announcements Rapido makes because I like their products and I am aware that like a lot of small businesses Jason doesn't always have the time to do all the posting on forums he would like.

My best advice would be to contact Rapido directly with your question as that will likely allow for a faster response as well as making sure that Jason or Bill don't accidentally miss your question.  You can contact Rapido through one of the options on their contact page:

http://rapidotrains.com/contact.html

Archived