RailCrew products - could they be used in the UK?

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

I took Gerald's advice and took the opportunity to enquire about the latest news on availability. I received the following information in reply:

Thanks for sending your e-mail direct.
Wiring for the motor requires only two wires ...polarity reversal. There are 2 groups of three wires from the unit to direct power to the frog and to do signals. (Two internal single pole double throw switches.) A total of 10 wires come out of the motor container.

Mounting hole dimensions are still 1-1/8" diameter by 1" deep.

ETA in UK is looking more like February. The original production requires some minor modifications to perform to our expectations.

We apologize for the delay, but as Jason says, "make it perfect". Better to wait and have it right.

So that's not good news for getting the layout finished using the Railcrew Switch Machines.

BUT - full marks to Randy for getting an answer out on a Sunday!

The uncoupler looks like a great idea.

I have an existing layout where they would need to be fitted with the track already in position.

The only question that I have is; What is going to stop the hole saw from going through the baseboard and chewing up the trackwork?

The video did not show how to do this.

The only question that I have is; What is going to stop the hole saw from going through the baseboard and chewing up the trackwork?

The video did not show how to do this.

I have no experience of fitting one but I would imagine that you'd want to mark the hole saw for a maximum penetration of 3/4 of the thickness of your baseboard. This should be ample to seat the unit and then you'd complete fixing from underneath, especially if there isn't enough depth (on a thin board) for a tight fit.

Hopefully somebody who has actually fitted one could provide more information.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest newsletter just sent out has the following delivery estimates for the RailCrew line:

- Switch Stands - December

- Uncouplers - January

- Switch Machines - April/May

Delay due to improvements made after feedback from over 100 samples sent stores and clubs in North America.

That makes the switch machines a year later than indicated in the February newsletter referenced and linked in Gerald's post #13.

I cancelled (OK, canceled) my RailCrew order and bought Tortoise switch machines instead.

Trouble is, the original layout design and build incorporated the RailCrew switch machine position, which meant that the Tortoise became a retrofit, with the associated problems to address regarding location of frame structures below the turnout.

I must start a thread on the layout at some time - I've been taking the photos!

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just an update on these.

I bought a six pack some time ago direct from Rapido but only today got around to trying them out.

I fitted one where I previously had a Kadee undertrack magnet which worked fine but also uncoupled when I didn't want it to.

The Rapido magnet works fine although I couldn't get either of the led's to light up.

Maybe I made an error in wiring it up but its not a problem as its easy to mark where the magnet is.

I have some time off tomorrow so I'll try the next one on the workbench just to make sure I wire it up properly.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the same immediately I saw the info in the newsletter and then when I watched the video.  The low switchstand would need some adaptation as the British outline rotating signals were all lower than even that one and it does depend very much on the Railway and period being modelled - I doubt there were any left in use after the mid '60s  (but it would go rather well with a Stirling Single - clever marketing there Jason  :sungum: )

There was a very tall HR one at Inverness that seemed to last until the layout was PSB'd.

I think with a bit of a play they would be very close to uk ones....

Andy G

I tried another of these tonight but this time on the bench.

After some initial confusion about the wiring :scratchhead:  I eventually got it right & everything works including the led's.

I've made a diagram for myself that I understand so wiring these up in future shouldn't be a problem.

Famous last words I know  :whistle:

I wonder if anyone else here has tried them ?

Put another one of these on the layout this evening without any problem.

Rewired the other one as well.

Both are working well without any problem.

I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable uncoupling system for Kadee.

No more large chunks of magnet under the layout, no more smells of burning if left on to long & no more burnt out switch contacts.

Everything you need including pre wired switch & panel led is in the packet.

Very well thought out system.

Archived