Would anyone be able to sell me a few turnout parts (copperclad + code 40 rail)?

sp1

I want to try building an N gauge turnout (yes I know! - but rewheeling and building chassis seems a step to far at the moment!!) - what I want to try is a copperclad turnout built to finer tolerances (ref 'cav' or RBE here on Rmweb who has built to,if memory is correct, 8.8mm gauge, with suitably narrowed flangeways (see 'Millers Dale' topic)

I would like to have a go, but joining the 2mm society, or buying sleepers and rail from Marcway, would be an expensive experiment (no problem with joining the society if it works!).

I know 'FiNeTrax' is available, but it's not quite the answer (except for plain track).

I have built track in 00 (in copperclad) - just want to try this: I don't want to go down the complete 2mm FS route as I model steam era, with associated complications.

So basically, what I need is enough copper clad strip and rail to build, say, one B6 turnout for testing purposes.

Steve

Steve

Don't be put off by the 'fine scale' tag. A good friend of mine prefers to refer to 2 mm fs as 2mm LC ( less coarse). He has a point. Indeed I would confidently suggest that track building to 2mm standards is probably easier than you may imagine, and I recommend that you do consider it. There are plenty of chassis kits available for engines, and in the pipeline are simple conversion kits for rtr locos that involve little more than changing the wheel sets.

I don't know where you reside, but if in the UK it is probable that there is a group of tyros nearby who would offer help and encouragement.

Good luck with your endeavours

Steve

Don't be put off by the 'fine scale' tag. A good friend of mine prefers to refer to 2 mm fs as 2mm LC ( less coarse). He has a point. Indeed I would confidently suggest that track building to 2mm standards is probably easier than you may imagine, and I recommend that you do consider it. There are plenty of chassis kits available for engines, and in the pipeline are simple conversion kits for rtr locos that involve little more than changing the wheel sets.

I don't know where you reside, but if in the UK it is probable that there is a group of tyros nearby who would offer help and encouragement.

Good luck with your endeavours

It's not the 'finescale' part that puts me off, and I'm sure that having a proper set of standards and tolerances makes building the track easier in some ways. One problem is I like steam locos and the thought of rewheeling/ building new chassis for those is the stumbling block (but never say never!)

This was just by the way of an experiment with the track, hence just wanting to build a turnout to test the idea.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Don

Thanks for the kind offer, but I won't be able to be there.

Steve

Ok then I will send you some rail and copperclad strip sufficient to make a turnout. PM me with details.

Don

You can have the wheels re-profiled by the 2mm Scale Association's wheel turning service. (If you join ;) )

Thanks,

Yes, I was aware of that option, but to me, that is still re-wheeling : I would have to dismantle the thing then get it back together!

Ok then I will send you some rail and copperclad strip sufficient to make a turnout. PM me with details.

Don

Thanks Don, pm sent

Archived