Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, is it a B4 loco though?

Yes a B4.  It was a Bournemouth 71B allocated loco from May 1949 'til withdrawal from BR in April 1960

The only train you'll see on Poole Quay nowadays is one of those 'orrible rubber tyred tractor an' trailer things you get at all touristy places nowadays ................

And you will be amazed at the family and friends which will go and point these things out to me and say "oh look, there is a train..." like as if I am supposed to leap up and down like an excited puppy. This and other vaguely train shaped objects I have no interest in period. They do not understand...

Now if it were a B4 model or real thing, well that is exciting.

• RMweb Gold

And you will be amazed at the family and friends which will go and point these things out to me and say "oh look, there is a train..." like as if I am supposed to leap up and down like an excited puppy. This and other vaguely train shaped objects I have no interest in period. They do not understand...

You must be the yearly recipient of Mallard, painted red, emblazoned "It's your birthday....."

"It comes around, but once a year"

"Give a smile, give a cheer"

"We'll try not to notice, as you sing the song"

"That the wheels are wonky, and the colours all wrong"

Whaddya mean, you like trains, dontcha?

• RMweb Gold

In terms of boiler bands and fittings and tank top, these pictures make an interesting comparison: 

Toolboxes on B4s are best described as a movable feast, coming and going over the years and not always returning precisely whence they came.

There are other variations to fittings depending on whether the loco was constructed during the tenure of Mr. Adams or Mr. Drummond. The latter being more properly referred to as Class K14 (in the immortal words of the Ian Allan ABC): "Introduced 1908 with smaller boiler and detail differences".

Definitely a need for reliably dated photos of your chosen loco at your chosen period if you want to get things dead right.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Whe

When the B4 finally appears, please would you not post a video of it but instead post a video of you leaping up and down like an excited puppy? Please, please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are those stubs on top of the tank, bolts where the toolbox would have been fastened down, if it were present ?

Judging by the hinges and knob, it looks like Granville might have a toolbox set into the tank.  Or is it a lid for a coal bunker?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Whe

When the B4 finally appears, please would you not post a video of it but instead post a video of you leaping up and down like an excited puppy? Please, please?

Eh. No. Instead everyone who ever pointed out these odd train shaped objects will be made to sit with swords to their throats and forced to watch every un boxing video of the B4 that exists. I,m expecting two B4s and will do each an un boxing video lasting an hour.... Edited by JSpencer

Toolboxes on B4s are best described as a movable feast, coming and going over the years and not always returning precisely whence they came.

There are other variations to fittings depending on whether the loco was constructed during the tenure of Mr. Adams or Mr. Drummond. The latter being more properly referred to as Class K14 (in the immortal words of the Ian Allan ABC): "Introduced 1908 with smaller boiler and detail differences".

Definitely a need for reliably dated photos of your chosen loco at your chosen period if you want to get things dead right.

John

Indeed, yes.  Just as well, then, that all the current Dapol models are Adams locos (B4s, rather than K14s) with Adams boilers and so, therefore, Nos. 30089, 30096 and 96 boilers should look the same as Granville's.

In the picture, the toolbox on the top of Granville's right-hand tank has been removed, thus affording an excellent view forward, which would not otherwise be possible.  As you say, however, the toolbox positions certainly vary. Sometimes there is only one and sometimes none.

Pre-War, I believe the tank tops lacked lifting brackets, oilboxes or boiler/tank brackets, so tank top details did change, but not so the boiler, so Dapol's boiler and boiler bands should match Granville's. 

Edited by Edwardian

In terms of boiler bands and fittings and tank top, these pictures make an interesting comparison: 

Noticed the band on the top of Granville - could it be possible that Dapol will be the first Model Railway supplier to be criticised for NOT having a mould line on the boiler ?  :sarcastichand:

Chris.

• Like 1

You must be the yearly recipient of Mallard, painted red, emblazoned "It's your birthday....."

"It comes around, but once a year"

"Give a smile, give a cheer"

"We'll try not to notice, as you sing the song"

"That the wheels are wonky, and the colours all wrong"

Whaddya mean, you like trains, dontcha?

A friend of mine, well known for his sense of humour, had a Hornby A4 painted in Midland Red (his favourite line) and named 'Cuckoo'.

• Like 2

The longest serving B4 at Dover was 30084 from 1951 to 1959. 30083 and 30086 also made appearances.

Back in May I ordered 30082 to back-date to 83 in Bulleid livery ( identical details - wish I could find that site again ! ) ................. looks like I'm getting 30089 instead !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

......... might have to double head with one of the yankee tanks ( which without the tungsten chassis originally envisaged failed the RPSPOT individually ) .............. or maybe I'll go for a P ......

Good choice, I couldn't resist getting both either :)