Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

The staff at Dapol HQ were very tight lipped about a release date of the B4 only to say it was imminent.

I hate to be the one to bump a topic after such a long spell. But does anyone have any news? Imminent seems not so, as just over two months on, nothing. 

• Like 1

Their forthcoming arrival was recorded on the Gaugemaster published list last month which usually suggests arrival in 6-8 weeks. Or at least that was the timescale for the GW railcars once listed.

A lovely email from Dapol suggests that the B4 - or at least one version of it - is just a week away.  I'll let Dapol tell us for sure, but it is so nice to get a response to a query when others can't even update their updates.

Edited by KymN

- is just a week away.  

Just got a second email to say that it will be end of month at the earliest.  Disappointing, but wonderful customer service from Andrea at the Collectors Club.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a second email to say that it will be end of month at the earliest.  Disappointing, but wonderful customer service from Andrea at the Collectors Club.

The End of the World month is Nigh ...........either the B4s are on the dockside ( hopefully not feeling too much at home ) or they're still on the boat - somewhere - heading in this direction .........................

• RMweb Gold

A lovely email from Dapol suggests that the B4 - or at least one version of it - is just a week away.  I'll let Dapol tell us for sure, but it is so nice to get a response to a query when others can't even update their updates.

Lucky you. Several months later they've still not bothered to acknowledge or reply to my emails.

Wonderful. I do have one on pre-order.

I find I am building up a new collection of very small Southern locomotives.  My only excuse is that I imagine they were tried out (and probably found wanting) on the Wenford line to replace the Beattie Well Tanks. 

Now if they would only come with a pre-installed keep alive capacitor option they might actually see some useful work on the current vision of my 2 X 11 shunting plank. 

Next, I guess, will be a Terrier but none are being offered in WW 2 Wartime black. That usually means I have to buy an early BR version, remove the nationalization markings and re-decorate with an appropriate SOUTHERN identity. I know there were no B4's being offered that I could appropriately reset their time but they do look "cute" in Maunsell sage green.

Gents, If I may butt into your forum to ask a question on B4 livery. I have just finished building a 7mm model with the original cutaway cab. It was part built when I got it with the early cab already fitted.

So, If my internet research is valid, none of these original cab versions reached BR ownership. The internet also stated that the filled in cabs were fitted during the war to hide the glow from fire boxes! I take that with a pinch of salt as there are photographs taken in the '30's showing filled in cabs.

My question is, can I paint my version, cutaway cab, in plain black with yellow SOUTHERN and the number below on the tank side and which number would be appropriate?

Or, what would be the latest livery in Southern days, I could get away with, with the early cab?

As you will gather I am not a Southern expert!

I look forward to your responses.

Kind regards

Sandy

PS probably easier to PM me.

Edited by Sandy Harper

• RMweb Premium

In reply to my question specifically about the club model:

"The B4’s are due into us by the end of this month and will be despatched to you as soon as we can after that."

Still no decent shots of the cab rear?

Hard, then, to reach a conclusion regarding the holes where holes should be, or pimples where holes should be, or pimples where holes shouldn't be!

Hattons have shots up from all sides.

Interestingly, they processed the order for one of mine but not the other. Limited stock issue???

Hattons have shots up from all sides.

Interestingly, they processed the order for one of mine but not the other. Limited stock issue???

Thanks!

I did not see the pictures Tim linked to because, though it turns out I do have a Facetube account, though I lost the will to live when presented with the GDPR pages, so did not bother to log on!

EDIT, I have now checked out the Hattons site.

Hmm, what is it with desire to add otiose rivets? We had this with the Dean Goods.  There appears to be a row of pimples on the arc of the cab rear sheet.  I don't think that's right.  What there should be is a row of ventilation holes.

The holes, though, should be a bit higher than the fictitious pimples.  This I conclude from the fact that the pimples conflict with the lining on the lined example.  The holes, evidence of which I cannot see, should be above the lining. 

If it were just a question of the fastidious drilling the holes, that wouldn't be so bad, but cutting off the pimples would spoil the lining.  Easier to correct for the plain black liveries.

Same might be said of the boiler band position, of course.

I do struggle, though, to find a decent prototype view of the back of one of these wee beasties.  Could anyone oblige?

Edited by Edwardian

Still no decent shots of the cab rear?

Hard, then, to reach a conclusion regarding the holes where holes should be, or pimples where holes should be, or pimples where holes shouldn't be!

absolutely rivetting ....... I guess you can count on that ..............