Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold

Dapol certainly seem to have a problem with the packaging not being up to the job. Great model but arrived with a sandbox and rear lamp iron floating around inside. Still nothing that can't be glued on.

Nik

Courier quality/attitude, or how well packed by the sender, will also have a bearing, probably at least as much as the maker's efforts.

However, my 30089 arrived from Hatton's, courtesy of Royal Mail, completely intact. The question is, was I lucky or were you unlucky?

The packaging is uniform to all examples, so my own feeling is that it's more likely that any loose bits were just not adequately glued on in the first place.

John

Not sure its an actual package design inflicting models but the use also of that thin plastic wrap - how poorly that is wrapped around the model can cause detail damage / equally on removing it unless you know in advance where the fragile bits their is a clear potential for damage. Thin foam strips stick to the plastic wrap moulding should be used instead IMO.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I don't think you can do much about certain items literally getting lobbed, as opposed to dropped, by the odd miscreant in the postal system. Having seen how certain people unloaded electrical goods in a past career I've seen items lobbed like a 'shot put'!

You can only really prepare packing for normal handling and from Hattons these come wrapped in big bubble wrap too but other bigger locos have had a simple card outer box with less cushioning. Probably depends what boxes fit what packing they have.

Guest chris.trebble

Just received Normandy from Rails. Excellent, highly attractive model running well straight from box. Apart from the loco itself, the Owner's Manual sets a new standard and a very professional image. Well done Dapol!

• RMweb Premium

Dapol certainly seem to have a problem with the packaging not being up to the job. Great model but arrived with a sandbox and rear lamp iron floating around inside. Still nothing that can't be glued on.

Nik

More likely a lack of glue at assembly. Mine had a loose footstep. The packaging looks perfectly adequate to me, better than some. I don't see any foam in Hornby or Bachmann boxes.

I have some initial thoughts and a few images of the Dapol B4s on  my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2018/06/09/off-to-the-ace-and-few-pictures-b4-i-go/ 

attachicon.gifDapol B4 group.jpg

Although not stated on my blog No.88 arrived with the bracket between the cylinders broken so they duly fell out along with slidebars and piston rods when I removed from the box but rather than return to the shop which is tricky due to travelling overseas this weekend I fixed her myself and she runs ok now.

You talk about repainting to an earlier livery on https://grahammuz.co...tures-b4-i-go/  : that's exactly what I was intending with my '89' but I'm wondering where to source suitable - Bulleid-style - transfers for "TROUVILLE" !!?! .... any thoughts ? 

( The loco was 30082 when I ordered it - and backdating would have carried 'SOUTHERN' on the tanks : no problem ! )

However, my 30089 arrived from Hatton's, courtesy of Royal Mail, completely intact. The question is, was I lucky or were you unlucky?

John

Have you checked EVERYTHING ? ......... I thought mine was OK but spotted a missing front lampiron over the weekend : I guess it hiding in the parquet ! ( together with who know's what else )

My Normandy turned up today alas with bits not adhered with spit but quick bit of glueing back together

Where they had meant to be glued there was no mark so guess no glued used in the first place

post-29239-0-16927200-1528726476_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you checked EVERYTHING ? ......... I thought mine was OK but spotted a missing front lampiron over the weekend : I guess it hiding in the parquet ! ( together with who know's what else )

Centre bottom iron on the front? I wouldn't waste too much time looking for it. There's no evidence of one ever having been attached to mine.

Photos I've been able to check (those that are clear enough) suggest that most of the prototype B4s (including 30089) didn't have one. 

John

• RMweb Gold

The middle front bottom lamp iron when fitted to the prototypes were not off the buffer beam / running plate but out from the base of the smoke box door.

• RMweb Gold

You talk about repainting to an earlier livery on https://grahammuz.co...tures-b4-i-go/ : that's exactly what I was intending with my '89' but I'm wondering where to source suitable - Bulleid-style - transfers for "TROUVILLE" !!?! .... any thoughts ?

( The loco was 30082 when I ordered it - and backdating would have carried 'SOUTHERN' on the tanks : no problem ! )

Not many, especially those from the Southampton docks displaced by the USA tanks, received Southern in Sunshine lettering but retained their names. I aim to make my own decals using laser printed waterslide transfers.

• RMweb Gold

The middle front bottom lamp iron when fitted to the prototypes were not off the buffer beam / running plate but out from the base of the smoke box door.

Many thanks, Graham, It's quite clearly there on 30089 in the David Heys Collection photo linked in earlier posts (once I worked out how to blow it up).

Much easier to find things when you know where to look! Now, where did I put that bit of 0.75mm N/S strip?....  :scratchhead:

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Centre bottom iron on the front? I wouldn't waste too much time looking for it. There's no evidence of one ever having been attached to mine.

Photos I've been able to check (those that are clear enough) suggest that most of the prototype B4s (including 30089) didn't have one. 

John

Er - no the one that's not there on mine is actually the one that's not over the R/H buffer ( looking forward ) but should be !

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol instructions are pretty good. Support it upside down so the wheels don't fall out.

4 small screws on the baseplate then lift that up at each end to get to the couplings, careful of the two brake rigging ends under the cab as they slot in too.

Lift the couplings out and swing to the side, (but try not to remove completely as you'll disconnect the tiny springs), to reveal the 2 body screws

Pop the baseplate back down to keep the wheels in.

Note the decoder needs to be 10mm long if you want to use the plug.

Note the decoder needs to be 10mm long if you want to use the plug.

Has anyone accurately measured the space as, referenced my me a couple of days ago in the thread, the DCC fitted ones seem to have a Gaugemaster DCC23 in them which is 10.6mm long.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Er - no the one that's not there on mine is actually the one that's not over the R/H buffer ( looking forward ) but should be !

I didn't notice that when mine arrived, but yes, there is no sign of a centre bottom bracket ever existing and the right hand one has a socket but no lamp bracket.

Has anyone accurately measured the space as, referenced my me a couple of days ago in the thread, the DCC fitted ones seem to have a Gaugemaster DCC23 in them which is 10.6mm long.

I am hoping a DCC23 will fit as I couldn't find a supplier for the Dapol one.

• RMweb Gold

Dad's photos are a bit grainy, but I think both these shots show the centre bottom lamp bracket on 30102. You will need to click to enlarge the images to see the bracket at all. In the top one I think that there was a hair on the negative, which makes it look as though there is a loop of wire or string around the bracket.

post-14351-0-54378200-1528875067_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-83580700-1528875137_thumb.jpg

Whereas there was none on 30093, in this shot where at least the front is in reasonable focus.

post-14351-0-59414200-1528875256_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3