Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

1 hour ago, barrymx5 said:

I think The LSWR version will tempt me. But I have to join the Dapol Club to purchase.

I would, if I could. But since the Dapol Club is only available to the UK there is no way I can get my hands on this pretty loco.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, barrymx5 said:

I think The LSWR version will tempt me. But I have to join the Dapol Club to purchase. 

578C3233-886C-42A7-93F2-63E43D3A885D.png

I did last week and pleased with what I got. There are other benefits available once you have joined, not just the LSWR B4.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:04, stonetown said:

I would, if I could. But since the Dapol Club is only available to the UK there is no way I can get my hands on this pretty loco.

Huh? I am a member and I live in Australia.

41 minutes ago, KymN said:

Huh? I am a member and I live in Australia.

Did you join the club via Dapols website? If I try to "order" a new membership either with or without the loco, I have to select my "country of delivery". But available to select are only the countries within the UK. The offer with the loco even specifically states "available to the UK only".

• RMweb Gold

I ha the same issue as Manuel trying to join from the USA, specifically for this (LSWR liveried) version. Alas, several emails to Dapol's website went unanswered, and thus went my interest.

The regular models are rather lovely, though.

55 minutes ago, John B said:

I ha the same issue as Manuel trying to join from the USA, specifically for this (LSWR liveried) version. Alas, several emails to Dapol's website went unanswered, and thus went my interest.

The regular models are rather lovely, though.

I am a Dapol club member living in Arizona and I'm very pleased with the club only model. A little beauty. Not sure why you are having problems joining the club. I didn't have any.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Ronny said:

I am a Dapol club member living in Arizona and I'm very pleased with the club only model. A little beauty. Not sure why you are having problems joining the club. I didn't have any.

Quite simply: I was unable to join the club via the website due to living in the USA, the website did not allow my transaction. And emails to Dapol via the website went unanswered. If they don't have the courtesy to reply, or even acknowledge contact, they won't get my business.

And apparently I'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, John B said:

Quite simply: I was unable to join the club via the website due to living in the USA, the website did not allow my transaction. And emails to Dapol via the website went unanswered. If they don't have the courtesy to reply, or even acknowledge contact, they won't get my business.

And apparently I'm not the only one.

I'm not always convinced that emails via the website actually get through.    Try Neil@Dapol.co.uk and see if you have any better luck.

Les

• Thanks 1

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:54, stonetown said:

Did you join the club via Dapols website? If I try to "order" a new membership either with or without the loco, I have to select my "country of delivery". But available to select are only the countries within the UK. The offer with the loco even specifically states "available to the UK only".

It has been a while, but I would have joined via the Web site, which is how I normally do business with UK firms. I have never had any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

So, interesting moment. I've managed to fit a Bachmann/Zimo 6 pin decoder only to find a bit of a puzzler. Fitted one way round and the light flicker for the smokebox but no motor movement, yet fitted "upside down" and the motor runs but no lights. Anyone have any ideas or fixes before I close it up and contact Dapol?

11 hours ago, Charlie said:

So, interesting moment. I've managed to fit a Bachmann/Zimo 6 pin decoder only to find a bit of a puzzler. Fitted one way round and the light flicker for the smokebox but no motor movement, yet fitted "upside down" and the motor runs but no lights. Anyone have any ideas or fixes before I close it up and contact Dapol?

Obviously fitted it back to front - the light's meant to be in the firebox !

Continuity between decoder and motor. Poor contact/dry joint/broken wire between decoder socket and a motor terminal would be my top 'simple' suspects for cause. (Decoder was getting track power in both orientations in the socket, LED lit right way round, motor worked other way around after an unplug and reinsertion. Could have been nothing more than a poor contact on one of the motor output pins.) I find it worth keeping a note if something like this happens, so should it suddenly stop running there is a reminder of a continuity problem when first decoder fitted.

• 1 month later...

I'm quite interested in this announced release,so may finally succombe to one of these sweet running little models ...

1766747759_B4Guernsey.png.ee3114e4e714e014711d55a6e28d630b.png

From what I can tell it's 1893 condition, after cab-sheet cut outs and lined green livery on transfer to Southampton.  I don't know for how long she wore this livery, but 176 seems a good choice as she did not have her cab filled in until after Grouping.  I guess she remained much as she was during the Edwardian period.  The livery appears correctly rendered, with the thin white line inside the black border, which is good to see. 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 21:16, ndg910 said:

Looks good but could someone interpret the variations that are now being shown. How does Southern100 vary from the previous for instance. I’ve looked on the web and can’t see any descriptions yet. Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, so I'll defer to one happening along, but as I understand it 87 is wartime black while 100 is the prewar lined black livery

• 1 month later...

The latest crop of these were on display at the Great Central over the weekend.

DSCN0958.JPG.0da13944a1ffbd3da75d4967a56ec588.JPG

Dapol kindly let one loose to photograph more clearly. 

DSCN0962.JPG.3102a7f8ba50f8fb73c19ae1405d5ff9.JPG

DSCN0963.JPG.703e9768cdea1ca2f290473af8be5dc0.JPG

With the cut-away cab, the backhead detail really gets a chance to shine. 

This was a motorised DC sample.  It ran with the smoothness the model is known for and with the firebox glow showing clearly.  

DSCN0965.JPG.3a68357e9bea6dc89545b77ad6207eb4.JPG

A stunning little loco and a great performer.  I do think the cut-away cab is an attractive variation, and one which shows the cab interior to advantage.  It's the first of these that coincides with the period of my other LSWR stuff, so even though I don't need a dock tank, clearly I shall have to invest in this one. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Thats very light green on Guernsey compared to the colours shown initially on the livery chart. Is this going to be addressed do you know @Edwardian?

looks quite a lot to my eyes like the LSWR livery of the collector's edition?

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Thats very light green on Guernsey compared to the colours shown initially on the livery chart. Is this going to be addressed do you know @Edwardian?

I think that you and Tractionman are probably correct.  

I think it might be worth Dapol revisiting the shade of green.

The collector's club edition is in Adams passenger livery (and as such should have a visible white line inside the black border).  Guernsey should be in a different livery. 

Big Bradley has the cutting away of the cab and repainting and naming as dating to 1893, still under Adams's tenure, and states the livery to be "dark green with black bands and white lining".

Now, so far as I can tell, that's a non-standard livery.  Adams and Drummond both used a dark green (often referred to as "holly", though perhaps not officially).  I would assume that the "dark green" of Jersey and Guernsey is the same "dark green" as the goods livery.  The goods livery involves light green lining, and that is what Dapol gives us here.  However, the model is painted in a green that, to my eyes, looks closer to Drummond passenger green than anything else.  Goods green, and I have the swatch from the HMRS livery Southern Style in front of me, is very much darker. Holly is not a bad description of it.

The black tank front on the Dapol model is, as understand it, consistent with goods livery.  

So, yes, the graphic appeared to show a dark or darker green, with a thin white line and black border, which is how Big Bradley describes this livery.  What we have is goods livery light green lining with a lighter passenger green; arguably Adams, but looking more like Drummond's later slightly darker shade.  

You can probably argue over whether the lining should be light green (standard for goods livery) or white (as Bradley specifies), though I would have gone for the white, possibly thickening beyond scale thickness because it will only look right if it can be seen.  What I would certainly support would be a change to a darker green.   

One other detail someone might be able to help me with, the left hand rear cab sheet has an extra scallop.  I don't have a picture of Guernsey in this condition, but Jersey lacks this additional shape, so if anyone could clarify, that would be helpful.

All in all, though, a pretty irresistible little loco. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Yes, I notice the description is 'dark green lined'.  Well, it is darker than the Adam's 'pea green', bit it's not holly green. 

Inevitably there are detail discrepancies, but hopefully nothing that the "fastidious" like me can't deal with, but I'd like to see a darker green.

460252000_B4Normandya.jpeg.737b9150ce49c03ca4cb21f2d73dbffb.jpeg711699895_B4Guernseya.jpg.552c692c81d6923c8e1ecb84c9ada047.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1