Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jafcreasey said:

The second batch is now "due to arrive by April 2020", according to Hattons.

Oh dear.....

• Funny 3

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:13, Edwardian said:

Good news!

I contacted Dapol over the colour on the Guensey sample - and it is only a sample, of course - and I have been assured that Dapol is aware of the issue and that the green on this sample is not the shade that will be applied to the production model, which will be a significantly darker black-green, in accordance with the artwork we have seen. 

Did you also ask them about the lack of loco number on the bufferbeam and the fitting of the vacuum pipe?

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No. Did you?

Not yet.  I assume that it is supposed to represent the period between 1893 when it was transferred to the docks and given the name and SR days when it was repainted.  There is a picture of the loco in "Souhern Rails on Southampton Docks" that shows it in 1930 with a vacuum hose (and also the water filter) and a Drummond chimney.  Similarly most photos taken of other locos in SR days shows them with as vacuum fitted.  Bradley however, states that "Jersey and Guernsey were painted with black bands and white lining and the vacuum ejectors were removed.  At first the numbers appeared on the front and rear buffers beams but after Drummond took office small oval plates with number, date of construction and ownership, were attached to the cab side sheets of most, if not all, doock locos."  Also in Bradley, there is a picture taken in 1903 where such plates can be seen on two locos.   I will but these points to Dapol and see what response I get. 

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 17:08, Edwardian said:

No. Did you?

Looking at pictures oif their earlier model of No.96 "Normandy", it does have the Drummond plate and the number on the back of the cab.  Perhaps someone who has the "Book of the B4 Dock Tanks" (a difficult book to get hold of) could give me some dates for the changes to Guernsey.

On 17/06/2019 at 11:40, Edwardian said:

Guernsey 

Big Bradley has the cutting away of the cab and repainting and naming as dating to 1893, still under Adams's tenure, and states the livery to be "dark green with black bands and white lining".

On 17/06/2019 at 15:41, Edwardian said:

460252000_B4Normandya.jpeg.737b9150ce49c03ca4cb21f2d73dbffb.jpeg711699895_B4Guernseya.jpg.552c692c81d6923c8e1ecb84c9ada047.jpg

On 13/03/2020 at 15:55, GeoffBird said:

Did you also ask them about the lack of loco number on the bufferbeam and the fitting of the vacuum pipe?

11 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Looking at pictures oif their earlier model of No.96 "Normandy", it does have the Drummond plate and the number on the back of the cab.  Perhaps someone who has the "Book of the B4 Dock Tanks" (a difficult book to get hold of) could give me some dates for the changes to Guernsey.

Oh Mr Bird, these are things I have not given a thought to since I did so, briefly, in June last year!

A quick refresher for me, then ...

It appears to me that Dapol's model of Guernsey represents that locomotive from 1893 when both it, No. 176, and No. 81 were transferred to Southampton Docks, had their cabs cut away, their vacuum ejectors removed and were painted dark green and named Guernsey and Jersey

So, in this guise, Guernsey:

- Carried no number on the buffer beams. She was identified by name only.

- Did not have Vac pipe stands. Both the graphic and the sample are incorrect in that regard.

In the absence of information, I have to assume that she remained largely in this condition until Grouping, as it is only then that changes are known to have taken place to Guernsey by which time she would have worn the lined brown livery: 

- Front cab sheet infill 1926-7;

- Fitted with lipped Drummond chimney

- Late '20s still no vac fittings

- Late '20s seen with small cab side sheet number plate, still no buffer beam number, no plate on cab rear 

Note Jersey and Guernsey and other B4s wore side or safety chains.  I've noticed generally that, whereas Drummond classes may not have had them fitted, Drummond seems to have left them on Adams classes, at least until the Great War.  Guernsey still had hers in the late '20s.

The Peter Cooper book contains a picture of Guernsey in 1893 condition (an even better view, of Jersey, in the same condition is in Big Bradley) and a rear view apparently late '20s.  As for the details given in the text, you over-estimate the value of the B4 Dock tank book where such detail is lacking; the information I have is drawn from the text of the Big Bradley volume. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 17:08, Edwardian said:

No. Did you?

I have just received the following reply from Dapol:  "

Good morning Geoff,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming B4 locomotives.

The model GUERNSEY is being portrayed when new in 1893.

A darker shade of green has now being applied from the first decorated samples, in fact production samples should be received later this week.

It will be fitted with vacuum pipes, as otherwise holes will be present in the buffer beams

I realise that on page 97 in Bradley’s book he states that numbers were first on the buffer beams. In Peter Cooper’s book on the B4 Dock Tanks he states that initially Both Jersey and Guernsey were not allocated numbers just names so were given random numbers of 81 and 176 but when, so as no pictures show either front or rear we have assumed when originally sent to the docks they only had the name on the side tanks.

I hope that clarifies our production model of Guernsey

Kind Regards

Richard

Product Development Manager

Dapol Ltd"

Suits me as I want to model the pre-1914 era.  Look Forward to see one with the real colouring when they arrive.

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

I have just received the following reply from Dapol:  "

Good morning Geoff,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming B4 locomotives.

The model GUERNSEY is being portrayed when new in 1893.

A darker shade of green has now being applied from the first decorated samples, in fact production samples should be received later this week.

It will be fitted with vacuum pipes, as otherwise holes will be present in the buffer beams

I realise that on page 97 in Bradley’s book he states that numbers were first on the buffer beams. In Peter Cooper’s book on the B4 Dock Tanks he states that initially Both Jersey and Guernsey were not allocated numbers just names so were given random numbers of 81 and 176 but when, so as no pictures show either front or rear we have assumed when originally sent to the docks they only had the name on the side tanks.

I hope that clarifies our production model of Guernsey

Kind Regards

Richard

Product Development Manager

Dapol Ltd"

Suits me as I want to model the pre-1914 era.  Look Forward to see one with the real colouring when they arrive.

From what I can tell, Dapol are quite correct.  Clearly the vac stand is added out of expediency, because otherwise there would be holes, but they are surely correct to omit the numbers from the buffer beams.

Conclusion? Accurate livery applied subject to minor constraints of the tooling.

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:11, jafcreasey said:

I know couplings are a much discussed topic on RMweb but wondered if anyone has added three-links to their B4, and if so, what brand?

LCGB: The "B4" Dock Tank Rail Tour (No.1) 9/3/63. LSWR Adams B4 dock tank No. 30096 is depicted here at Southampton Ocean Terminal. The tour started at Winchester Chesil, visited Ocean Terminal in Southampton, Eastleigh works and then terminated at Winchester City. 30096 had originally been named Normandy and would be named again when sold out of service to Corrall who named her Corrall Queen. In 1972 she was again sold on but this time to the Bulleid Pacific Preservation Society (later renamed The Bulleid Society) and the locomotive is, of course, now located on The Bluebell Railway. [Mike Morant collection]

A similar question regarding the chains fitted to those working in Southampton Docks - any idea of suppliers ?  Also,"birds nest" park arresters to those based at Friary.

I hate to be that person, but... Have Dapol got 30096 wrong?

I was just checking some photos to make sure she was in the same condition during the 50s as she was during the later years, intending to change the late crest for an early when the new batch are available.

It looks, during both periods, like the plated-over cab front panels were joined with straight seams rather than the curved ones represented on the model.

1675453819_ScreenShot2020-03-28at17_29_24.png.8dd1c51e890395d882921aef7d4ca3ac.png

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p517522839/h8AE7E53E#h8ae7e53e

30096-at-southamton-terminus-march-1958.jpg.393f75a52bd163d9a26e79e152f34923.jpg

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/30096-at-southamton-terminus-march-1958.jpg

4S-018-005_3080365_Qty1_1.jpg.79aa3958e4ac7cbb409afaa5e52dd31c.jpg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/74904/dapol_4s_018_005_lswr_class_b4_0_4_0t_30096_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail.aspx

The curved plate on the rear cab is correct, but this seems a pretty clear error to me which is a shame (forgive me if this was raised at the time of the original batch). Won't stop me buying one as I missed out before, but I might look to renumber it to an example which actually looked like this...

(Edit -- in fact, I can't find any of the infilled cab examples where the plate looks like that. 30093 doesn't have it either.)

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I used to very much enjoy watching Normandy wheezing about the place during her last ticket; I'm always a little sad to see her tucked inside the running shed (with Bulleid tender or otherwise). Given that the steam-only commitment which justified the provision of a small shunting engine was dropped soon after her last ticket expired, I don't see any likelihood of an overhaul for a good long while if ever, sadly.

Adam

2 minutes ago, Calidore said:

I used to very much enjoy watching Normandy wheezing about the place during her last ticket; I'm always a little sad to see her tucked inside the running shed (with Bulleid tender or otherwise). Given that the steam-only commitment which justified the provision of a small shunting engine was dropped soon after her last ticket expired, I don't see any likelihood of an overhaul for a good long while if ever, sadly.

Adam

Don't want to put hopes up too much. But I think the current plan is to overhaul Normandy after 21C123 is overhauled. This has started as the boiler is planned to go away to the SDR for its new inner firebox. Then I think Normandy will have its chance again.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/04/2020 at 19:46, Calidore said:

..................  Given that the steam-only commitment which justified the provision of a small shunting engine was dropped soon after her last ticket expired, I don't see any likelihood of an overhaul for a good long while if ever, sadly.

There will probably always be a need for something small to give brakevan rides - whether that be P, A1X or Normandy !