Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold

I must say, Graham,  I do like the look of 30084. The K14 boiler appears suitably quirky. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I must say, Graham,  I do like the look of 30084. The K14 boiler appears suitably quirky. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob 

I agree, I’m just working out which identity to repaint her in to SR Sunshine black! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a plan Graham.

All I need is to do is  hatch a cunning plan as to how one will miraculously arrive at Chateau Sheep..........

"Good Lord ! I have no idea how that came to be here !!!" 

( Anyone want a P class.........?)

Rob

images-12.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves

A few hours later and I've painted over the handrails on the boiler and cab, smokebox dart and hinges and the cylinder covers front and rear. I'm sure there was a reason for Dapol to add the bling to this model but I'm not really a fan of it. 

IMG_20200521_143527.jpg.2fea47a881320a2852170a008667b109.jpg

IMG_20200521_131952.jpg.2199248cd8aca6fd99808847a4ac619b.jpg
After removing the keeper plate I found it was flooded with oil for some reason, even the coupling pockets where the pivot were oiled. 

Cylinders came off quite easy they're just a light friction fit over the chassis block. Still want to remove the paint from the rods. But I may just buy a new set from DCC supplies to save the bother as the sidebars came out quite easy when it was apart. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Has the possibility of converting this to EM or P4 been discussed anywhere? I've ordered Guernsey but those wheels are far too close together... :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

A few hours later and I've painted over the handrails on the boiler and cab, smokebox dart and hinges and the cylinder covers front and rear. I'm sure there was a reason for Dapol to add the bling to this model but I'm not really a fan of it. 

The “bling” was due to the known picture (from the G Kerley collection) of Guernsey in this livery taken just after delivery to the docks with polished handrails and cylinder covers  etc. 

Like you I will be toning these areas down. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hi Rob 

I agree, I’m just working out which identity to repaint her in to SR Sunshine black! 

According to the D.L Bradley book on Adams looks like it might have to be either 147 which kept the Drummond boiler all it’s life or 82 which lost it in 1951. The other three lost theirs between 1936 and 1941.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Yankee said:

According to the D.L Bradley book on Adams looks like it might have to be either 147 which kept the Drummond boiler all it’s life or 82 which lost it in 1951. The other three lost theirs between 1936 and 1941.

Indeed, I had come to the same conclusion and have chosen No. 82

Edited by Graham_Muz

Guernsey just arrived courtesy of Rails. I previously had a later closed cab B4 but the more open cab version on Guernsey really shows all the amazing cab details. My poor photo just doesn't really do it justice at all - a huge amount of pipework visible and 3 pressure gauges (not visible in this shot). No loose bits - all looks ok. One very satisfied customer!

Jeremy

p.s. Photo cropped and mid tones changed in an attempt to show cab detail better - but tricky to photo with a cheap mobile phone...

Guernsey1.jpg.aa79d67171ef613ebe3fbf8ee3e8fd28.jpg

• Like 7

On 21/05/2020 at 16:46, ullypug said:

Has the possibility of converting this to EM or P4 been discussed anywhere? I've ordered Guernsey but those wheels are far too close together... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure anyone got round to discussing it - but someone did make a plea many pages back !

I'm tempted to turn off the tyres and fit Gibson ones ........ but I reckon the wheels'll still need pushing out ; not top of my priority list I'm afraid !

• Thanks 1

Mine has just arrived from Kernow as well -- all present and correct, no loose bits or assembly problems to report and runs like a dream straight from the box. Plates are on the way to recast it as 30093 so I'll get on with the cab sides once I can bring myself to.

They really are cute as a button...

Adam

• Like 2

On 23/05/2020 at 09:49, JeremyKarl said:

Guernsey just arrived courtesy of Rails. I previously had a later closed cab B4 but the more open cab version on Guernsey really shows all the amazing cab details. My poor photo just doesn't really do it justice at all - a huge amount of pipework visible and 3 pressure gauges (not visible in this shot). No loose bits - all looks ok. One very satisfied customer!

Jeremy

p.s. Photo cropped and mid tones changed in an attempt to show cab detail better - but tricky to photo with a cheap mobile phone...

Guernsey1.jpg.aa79d67171ef613ebe3fbf8ee3e8fd28.jpg

Is there such a thing as a cheap mobile phone?  They seem to range from exorbitant to "need a mortgage"....

Les

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Is there such a thing as a cheap mobile phone?  They seem to range from exorbitant to "need a mortgage"....

Les

Yes - as long as you don't want them to be 'smart'.

Last time we visited Australia, we discovered that our UK mobile phones wouldn't work on th Oz network, so we bought a couple of supermarket 'bog standard basic' phones for peanuts - and I mean not much more than the price of a large pack of salted peanuts !

They worked perfectly well - but then we don't do 'smart' !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Yes - as long as you don't want them to be 'smart'.

Last time we visited Australia, we discovered that our UK mobile phones wouldn't work on th Oz network, so we bought a couple of supermarket 'bog standard basic' phones for peanuts - and I mean not much more than the price of a large pack of salted peanuts !

They worked perfectly well - but then we don't do 'smart' !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Perhaps I should have said cameraphone….

Les

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Perhaps I should have said cameraphone….

Les

I know Huawei are not flavour of the month with POTUS but my wife bought me a Huawei K Smart 2019 which works very well and only cost her £159. I have a cheap monthly SIM only plan that gives me unlimited calls and more than enough data. The camera is very good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I know Huawei are not flavour of the month with POTUS but my wife bought me a Huawei K Smart 2019 which works very well and only cost her £159. I have a cheap monthly SIM only plan that gives me unlimited calls and more than enough data. The camera is very good.

You could buy a B4 for that (or a more expensive Bachmann beast) - that's still not cheap in my book....

Les

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

You could buy a B4 for that (or a more expensive Bachmann beast) - that's still not cheap in my book....

Les

Asda do some really cheap ones. From memory around the £30 mark. They are like the good old phones of the early 2000s. 

I used to use them until the producer I started to work with shamed me up to date into this iPhone world. 

to bring the thread kicking and screaming back on topic, I have a Guernsey on order after falling in love with it from the photos on the Rails site. 

I’m not looking forward to the DCC fitting. As a trial run I finally fitted my LSWR #91 and boy does it punish you for a wrong move! Once I reassembled the connecting rods and wheels, I was able to get a Train-o-matic wired 6 pin in by placing the decoder in the recess of the tanks where it was an interference fit and coiled the spare wires behind the smokebox. It’s rather tight on space for any of the direct plug decoders I had and none would fit. 

My advice would be that unless you are really good at DCC fitting, get the factory fitted ones for DCC running. 

48 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

I’m not looking forward to the DCC fitting. As a trial run I finally fitted my LSWR #91 and boy does it punish you for a wrong move! Once I reassembled the connecting rods and wheels, I was able to get a Train-o-matic wired 6 pin in by placing the decoder in the recess of the tanks where it was an interference fit and coiled the spare wires behind the smokebox. It’s rather tight on space for any of the direct plug decoders I had and none would fit. 

Normally, I find DCC fitting is a doddle. However, I admit that it's trickier on a B4 as the keeper plate needs removing in order to remove the *THREE* screws that attached chassis to the body (there are TWO at the front on my Guernsey in contrast to what the manual says with one of them really hidden!). But if the keeper plate is re-attached *before* separating the chassis from the body, then there is no risk of the wheel bearings coming out. As Jenny says above, it will punish you if you don't do this. Also, it does need a small decoder (more suitable for N than for OO). The keeper plate is also likely to have lubricant on it so keeping ones fingers clean is a must - fingerprints really show up on Guernsey!

Jeremy

p.s. At least it doesn't require redoing the wiring as on my Hornby Peckett B2 where the wires are too short to fit Hornby's own decoder as per their instructions. Also, apologies for referring to "cheap" mobile phone earlier - cheap is a relative (and incorrect) term and I really meant poor quality camera one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, JeremyKarl said:

Also, apologies for referring to "cheap" mobile phone earlier - cheap is a relative (and incorrect) term and I really meant poor quality camera one.

No need. We most of us knew what you meant.

• Thanks 1

IMG_4542.jpg.be3c9aa684b771d9d2e9bd05addaccc3.jpg

Survived one or two minor disasters to come out the other side as the Bournemouth example often found pottering down to Hamworthy Goods, Poole Quay and the like.

As a public service announcement, the plastic on these frosts like glazing if exposed to superglue fumes. Discovered in the usual way...

Adam

• Like 5

1874741504_30084arrives.jpg.402f516d077631442ef0741a8d8d26b3.jpg

Drummond Boiler 30084 B4 arrived today on Pine Road. To keep prototypical the RH tool box has been removed as per all pictures I have found of 30084, one being https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-sr/sr/b4/hA8920143#ha8920143

A little disappointed as the boxes on both my earlier released 30096 just pulled off, this one was well stuck on and one pin snapped off on removal. No problem as surface blemish will be weathered over with coal dust from the coal stack on top of the firebox.

30084 pine rd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Spot the difference... 

Drummond (ex K14) 30084 has now changed her identity to No. 82 and back dated to Post War livery. 
The tool boxes have also been relocated to the more forward position as they were on 82. 
28487930-50CE-46A6-A328-9E3F47C67650.jpeg.ce9c9d980d2c97b57fbe8f111fb23e68.jpeg
011C9457-CDC8-4896-843C-45317FF9D3C3.jpeg.d1a9cffad73759c6e8d6c6913ce889c0.jpeg

Weathering to follow.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3