Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold

These are quite tricky to pull apart. 

I would suggest just returning it as is. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

These are quite tricky to pull apart. 

I would suggest just returning it as is. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, good to know--I have emailed the retailer, I'd prefer to send it back for a replacement rather than start fiddling about with it, so all being well it'll be sorted, such a lovely-looking model.

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Thanks Rob, good to know--I have emailed the retailer, I'd prefer to send it back for a replacement rather than start fiddling about with it, so all being well it'll be sorted, such a lovely-looking model.

all the best,

Keith

They pretty little locos, Keith. I have three and all are lovely runners. They are also quite delicate chaps hence my suggestion not to dabble.

It probably is a simple fix but leave that to the retailer and get a replacement  . 

Cheers

Rob.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone fitted sound into one of these? I appreciate that such a question may have been answered already but I'm a bit late to the party and there are 32 pages to wade through to try and find out.

Thanks.

On 02/10/2020 at 20:04, Ruston said:

Has anyone fitted sound into one of these? I appreciate that such a question may have been answered already but I'm a bit late to the party and there are 32 pages to wade through to try and find out.

Thanks.

Youchoos have here: https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OODapolB4

Not for the faint hearted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Youchoos have here: https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OODapolB4

Not for the faint hearted.

Thanks. I don't think it will be that difficult if the stay alive is left out. I haven't found them necessary on the little Hornby Pecketts and with this having a slightly longer wheel base and compensated front axle I think it will do fine without.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 08:10, Ruston said:

Thanks. I don't think it will be that difficult if the stay alive is left out. I haven't found them necessary on the little Hornby Pecketts and with this having a slightly longer wheel base and compensated front axle I think it will do fine without.

I find the B4s about the most sure footed locos in the fleet on the industrial track of NO PLACE, very difficult to make them stall.  If anything can cope without a stay alive this should be the one...

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 10:49, Daniel Gee said:

I might get the collectors club B4 and Sussex.

Dan

F713E0D4-FE9A-4B8C-900B-34B07F563B03.jpeg

40511420-9443-4DEA-87B0-1EBD2A9CEEC6.jpeg

The collectors club one is described as being in 'Lined L.S.W.R. livery', but it has not got any lining.

Whereas, the model of Guernsey has and looks very good.

Ray

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

The collectors club one is described as being in 'Lined L.S.W.R. livery', but it has not got any lining.

Whereas, the model of Guernsey has and looks very good.

Ray

Does the black edging round the edge of the tank, the white outline to the cab, and two black boiler bands count as lining?

For the answer to that you would need the engine history card and/or the paintshop order for when it appeared in that livery....

Les

As I far as I am aware, there should be white lining around the various green panels on the tanks, cab and steps.

Something like this.

image.png.72aa15497e69289742cd0d30bf62eac1.png

Instead, they seem to have gone for this, which appears to be unlined, although the reproduction may not be good as there are signs of lining on the steps..

image.png.fad8cb03601b69a2d13b416cc6b0ccd6.png

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info.

6 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

As I far as I am aware, there should be white lining around the various green panels on the tanks, cab and steps.

Something like this.

Instead, they seem to have gone for this, which appears to be unlined, although the reproduction may not be good as there are signs of lining on the steps..

Ray

If you look at other details of the model it corresponds with the loco in the second picture and physically not with the loco in the first.  Could the second picture be a repaint after the loco was fitted with the box on the tank top.

That would make the Dapol version probably more accurate than you would have us believe.....

Les

6 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Something like this.

Ray

Yes, it should have white lining.

The Collector's club model represents Adam passenger livery and, therefore, ought to have a thin white line separating the green from the black border.

This livery is depicted in the picture of 90 in your post; the white is not easy to see. 

The Guernsey model is an interesting case.  The Big Bradley volume makes it clear that the dock tanks, which came under a different department from other locos, were painted in a non-standard livery.  Essentially what is described is the Holly green goods livery of the (Adams) period (1893) but with passenger white lining. I cannot imagine that Bradley would have asserted that without some evidence, e.g. a painting instruction.

However, most people seem to assume that these were painted in goods livery (with light green lining) and most models in all scales have been painted thus. So, it's perhaps something of a moot point and I am happy with mine with the light green lining.  

• Informative/Useful 1

No. 92. Built by the LSWR at Nine Elms in 1891. Sold by British Railways to the Ministry of Fuel & Power's Directorate of Opencast Production in 1949. Worked for Wm. Pepper at Darton, British Oak and Skiers Spring at various times. Scrapped 1961.

B4-004.jpg.534e390ac4fc761d893473debc3553f4.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have just tried to remove the body on my 30084 Drummond  boiler B4, removed the 2 screws under the coupling, the body would not budge, after about 20 mins of stubborn persuasion nothing  moving, thinking the chassis may have inadvertently be glued to the body I found at the back of the front coupling recess there is a third screw holding the body in place, there is no mention of it in the handbook, I do not know if it is unique to this version or if it has been fitted to all the new batches of the B4.

17 hours ago, Ruston said:

No. 92. Built by the LSWR at Nine Elms in 1891. Sold by British Railways to the Ministry of Fuel & Power's Directorate of Opencast Production in 1949. Worked for Wm. Pepper at Darton, British Oak and Skiers Spring at various times. Scrapped 1961.

B4-004.jpg.63e67ac3c9858c8ea7baa82a150917d8.jpg

That's a nice simple option for another model.

Ray

6 hours ago, Robin Verth said:

I have just tried to remove the body on my 30084 Drummond  boiler B4, removed the 2 screws under the coupling, the body would not budge, after about 20 mins of stubborn persuasion nothing  moving, thinking the chassis may have inadvertently be glued to the body I found at the back of the front coupling recess there is a third screw holding the body in place, there is no mention of it in the handbook, I do not know if it is unique to this version or if it has been fitted to all the new batches of the B4.

The body removal is a bit odd on the B4 and not isolated to one version as they all share the same chassis. 

I found the best way is to refit the keeper plate to prevent disasters happening when the loco is turned up the right way. 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Cab Roof Removal

I’ve got five of these including two 30096’s and have plans to  convert  one to Bournemouth’s Station pilot/ Poole Harbour’s 30102.

To prevent destroying a good functional model in the process I’ve  just purchased a spare 30096  body shell from DCC Supplies along with other required detailing parts .

The starting point for  such a conversion is the same as if converting it to Poole’s other regular stable mate 30093 which is  the removal of the  brake handle cover on the rear of the cab.IMG_9011.jpeg.7c6b4e94a73d853f3f14ea7f48073f83.jpeg

The additional tasks required to achieve the conversion is the installation of two extra  round windows in the front cab panel as per this picture.

B4.jpg.37762148726e200417a16357cc93fef4.jpg

When I first planned this mod I thought it would be just a case of removing the two small square Bezels drilling them out to the correct size and fitting the spare bezels from DCC Supplies. However when I offered them up to the model you will notice the round windows  are much more towards the centre than the square ones. So to carry out this conversion I think the square apertures will need filling in and new ones drilled in the correct position.

IMG_9012.jpeg.539e2919279c5b7e8fccbf60676a5187.jpeg

To carry this out and aid the fitting of crew in the cab requires the cab roof to be removed. I’ve looked back through the previous 32 pages  and can’t see this being mentioned before so  has anyone done that before and how easy was it. Credit to Dapol, everything looks so close fitting I’m not sure if it is  a separate part or not.

The answer is, Its not a separate part, Dapol in it's wisdom have included it with the tank sides, cab sides and cab back and fronts. This CAD derived picture in the Owners Manual shows it in Pink.

IMG_9026.jpeg.fa5f1c284bf2396e981659bd2299667c.jpeg

The roof on the open cab version is a separate part, the same design and size as the closed cab, why make them different. ? You will notice from these pictures that there is a lip at the top of the cab front panels to which, on the open cab, the roof is glued to. The close cab has the same lip but is all part of the complete cab modeling.

1252765128_IMG_9017copy.jpg.d8b8486456bf6aa4b393ee34e5da929f.jpg 1090967199_IMG_9018copy.jpg.74f5bb6985e82be6a5b42d07fbe3978a.jpg

The problem with this lip is when cutting through the front cab panel it makes it at least twice as thick to cut through. 

After using a model knife to cut the cab side and rear panel I had to result to this to cut the front panel. 

I'm glad this is just a spares body, I would have been very reluctant in doing this to a serviceable model

IMG_9023.jpeg.e30c9772a16378e1e0b6d4344376774c.jpegIMG_9025.jpeg.cb94c22c95078cf7752a9411670a3773.jpegIMG_9028.jpg.c7cb9d89c97a5177895bba30994bb07d.jpg

Now  to the infilling of the square window on the cab front panel and drilling for the new round windows.

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 10:46, Yankee said:

The answer is, Its not a separate part, Dapol in it's wisdom have included it with the tank sides, cab sides and cab back and fronts. This CAD derived picture in the Owners Manual shows it in Pink.

The roof on the open cab version is a separate part, the same design and size as the closed cab, why make them different. ?

In a word- cost.

Fewer tools equals less tooling to pay for.

Just a thought.

Les