Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

I am hoping a DCC23 will fit as I couldn't find a supplier for the Dapol one.

The Dapol one does not seem to exist. If on the DCC fitted ones they have somehow bodged on the DCC23 and the 10mm issue is right then the choice of decoders is CT Elektronik DCX74zDN (9mm long 1 amp avg 2 amp max),  Zimo MX616F (8mm long 0.7 amp avg 1 amp max) and CT Elektronik DCX77zDN (5mm long 0.8 amp avg 1.2 amp max) 

• Like 1

I've just successfully fitted a Zimo MX622N. The body of the chip  is longer than Dapol's recommended 10 mm but I bent the pins so that the chip sloped downwards forwards at about 45 degrees and it went in.

Lovely loco

Petetfgf

The MX622N is 14mm long so on that basis all of the following should fit;

CT Elektronik  DCX74DN, DCX74zDN, DCX74DVN, DCX75DN,DCX76DN,DCX77zDN

DCC Concepts Zen 6 pin

Digitrax DZ125IN, DZ126IN

ESU LokPilot Micro, Lokpilot Fx micro, Lokpilot micro,

Gaugemaster DCC23

Lenz Gold mini, Silver mini

TCS EUN 651

Zimo MX620N, MX621N, MX622N

Edited by Butler Henderson

Yes it looked good. Pleased to see Lulworth Castle at Mendip 2018. Sound is the next challenge. Youchoos are giving S&DMRS a seminar next week so maybe John will have some guidance for the B4.

It is going to be very interesting to see what he does.

Either he rips out the entire circuit board and hard wires everything (probably replacing the glow feature) or he plugs straight into the socket and fights to get the wires past the motor into the side tank.

Starting to wish I went for DCC fitted because at I could run it with other bluebell DCC sound fitted models.

Edited by JSpencer

It is going to be very interesting to see what he does.

Either he rips out the entire circuit board and hard wires everything (probably replacing the glow feature) or he plugs straight into the socket and fights to get the wires past the motor into the side tank.

Starting to wish I went for DCC fitted because at I could run it with other bluebell DCC sound fitted models.

If you are in East Somerset come along 8pm 21June!

And yes exceptionally I did purchase the B4 with factory fitted decoder.

• Like 1

One of the more complex productions, I am proud to present my review of the Dapol B4 0-4-0 and Heljan 07 0-6-0 diesel shunter, however I have attempted to build in a short history of Southampton docks and some of the other locomotives based there.

Have to say this was a delightful film to work on and I really hope the result is popular.

https://youtu.be/tYH72qnptFc

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

More likely a lack of glue at assembly. Mine had a loose footstep. The packaging looks perfectly adequate to me, better than some...

Mine arrived today from Kernow a half a world away.. Seems to be fully intact and superb model. The solid Dapol box was well packed by the Kenow folk and the Post Office folk delivered it gently.. 

• Like 1

I think for £115 Dcc fitted inc the flickering firebox glow that is value for money very impressed

My 30096 DCC fitted arrived today and runs beautifully on DCC, but unfortunately it has reverse polarity on dc so it's going back to Kernow for a replacement. It also had a few bits (sandboxes) floating around in the box.

You didn't waste any time, Jack!  Your quickest re-paint to date?

Chris KT

Haha, so far it is! As you well know though, it often takes a while before something is fully finished. Certainly complete enough to take to the club next weekend!

Haha, so far it is! As you well know though, it often takes a while before something is fully finished. Certainly complete enough to take to the club next weekend!

I think you qualify to appear in the guiness book of records.

I think you qualify to appear in the guiness book of records.

I hate to sound like i'm bragging, but doing something like that is actually very quick, only because it's such a simple livery!

I hate to sound like i'm bragging, but doing something like that is actually very quick, only because it's such a simple livery!

If is was me, I'd take 2 days at least, one for the black coat then wait 24 hours and then add the numbers and letters. I would wait at least an additional week before adding varnish (this is due to one time when I added it 3 days after the initial coat only to find it reacted and pealed - lots of cleaning up to do to get that sorted).

If is was me, I'd take 2 days at least, one for the black coat then wait 24 hours and then add the numbers and letters. I would wait at least an additional week before adding varnish (this is due to one time when I added it 3 days after the initial coat only to find it reacted and pealed - lots of cleaning up to do to get that sorted).

I used British paints satin black from a spray can - it drys quickly enough to be handled in a few hours. I stripped the lining, masked and painted it, waiting for about an hour between the two coats I did. Then went to bed, and when I woke up in the morning I cut the NEM pockets off the base plate and drilled the hole for the 3 link couplings, by then the body was dry enough to put the transfers on, there were only 8 in total, six '9's and the two 'SOUTHERN' (I haven't varnished it yet though) and honestly it helps that the model is so small. 

Edited by Jack P

Mine arrived today from Kernow a half a world away.. Seems to be fully intact and superb model. The solid Dapol box was well packed by the Kenow folk and the Post Office folk delivered it gently.. 

Similar experience to myself - bought 3 of these, two via Hattons and one (the LSWR club one) directly from Dapol. Must admit, thought it seemed a bit light, even for its small size, versus the recent Hattons Andrew Barclay releases when I picked it up, but needn't have worried. All run very well (DC), no bits fallen off, the cab-back alignment on Normandy (which has been the subject of previous posts) isn't 100% true although perfectly acceptable, and I'm pleased to report that unlike a subsequent diesel release that Dapol have kept the clear plastic clamshell WITH the rigid clear plastic sleeve instead of cling tape, which as I've said on a previous post looks cheap......

Courier quality/attitude, or how well packed by the sender, will also have a bearing, probably at least as much as the maker's efforts.

However, my 30089 arrived from Hatton's, courtesy of Royal Mail, completely intact. The question is, was I lucky or were you unlucky?

The packaging is uniform to all examples, so my own feeling is that it's more likely that any loose bits were just not adequately glued on in the first place.

John

Courier quality, in my opinion, is a massive contributor to the state in which a model is received, and some are considerably better than others.

It's also part of the customer service experience when you buy a model, although I've felt in the past that some sellers would like to stick their head in the sands and ignore this, going for the cheapest possible (you pay peanuts get monkeys etc).

I've always found Royal Mail - plus Parcelforce and DPD for that matter - to be very good. At the other end of the spectrum is Yodel - I've seen how our local branch delivers its parcels on occasion (six foot fence sir ? no problem, over it goes. Rain ? Well, a bit of water won't hurt it), although would stop short at saying all branches are the same. And I remember Business Post, who tried to deliver an expensive model (it was refused as damaged...) where it looked as though a fork on a forklift had gone through the parcel. And all the bubblewrap they'd used couldn't save that one.

The real things were commonly cast iron IIRC. 

247 Developments do a full range of shed plates and a couple of B4 numbers (including 30093). These will no doubt increase with the release of these locos.

If the ones I have are anything to go by, they are etched in nickel silver unless the prototype plates were brass (e.g. older and/or more prestigious GWR classes) 

John

the Full set of etch Smoke box Numbers are on the next etch

• RMweb Gold

Lord and Butler had a few Normandys there this morning.

Rob.

A whole bunch DCC fitted however.

Given the fight I had with Hattons Katie to get it dismantled, and the difference between an unfitted loco plus chip and a fitted one I think I would prefer to have the loco fitted...

When Dapol rang me to sort out the card (which had gone over the expiry date) Andrea told me the factory fitted locos are done in China.  Could this explain why the chips inside are larger than we think we can install - ie fitted and rest of loco assembled afterwards?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

post-13358-0-10534600-1529921668_thumb.jpg

Southampton as seen from a cruise ship the other week- not quite the same any more....

Les