Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

Yes it looked good. Pleased to see Lulworth Castle at Mendip 2018. Sound is the next challenge. Youchoos are giving S&DMRS a seminar next week so maybe John will have some guidance for the B4.

Hi, so did Youchoos John have a crack at the B4?

Yes, 247 Developments have only the GWR "Baloon stack" type and the L&Y Pug "flat disc" type.  I will have to keep on looking

Try Langley p'raps ? ....... the wire cage spark arrestor isn't totally dissimilar to the sort of thing you might find on a domestic chimney !

'Normandy' on display at Furzebrook Village Hall on Monday 2 July. Although it arrived a couple of weeks ago I still have not had an opportunity to run it. The prototype arrived on the Swanage Railway, which I am modelling, on 5 May 1986 and left later that year.

post-17621-0-20912900-1530602837_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The MX622N is 14mm long so on that basis all of the following should fit;

CT Elektronik DCX74DN, DCX74zDN, DCX74DVN, DCX75DN,DCX76DN,DCX77zDN

DCC Concepts Zen 6 pin

Digitrax DZ125IN, DZ126IN

ESU LokPilot Micro, Lokpilot Fx micro, Lokpilot micro,

Gaugemaster DCC23

Lenz Gold mini, Silver mini

TCS EUN 651

Zimo MX620N, MX621N, MX622N

I’ve just spent the evening trying to fit the DCC concepts zen 6 pin without luck. I bent the pins to get a better angle in the smoke box but still no joy. I think it could be the hardest steam locomotive with a socket I’ve ever had- why would they make someone remove the base of the chassis thus exposing the axles to unscrew the body? My leading axle fell out immediately, along with the piston rods from the cylinders.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just spent the evening trying to fit the DCC concepts zen 6 pin without luck. I bent the pins to get a better angle in the smoke box but still no joy. I think it could be the hardest steam locomotive with a socket I’ve ever had- why would they make someone remove the base of the chassis thus exposing the axles to unscrew the body? My leading axle fell out immediately, along with the piston rods from the cylinders.

Sorry you had that misfortune. But wait until you hear how stupid I was! Put loco in Peco foam cradle, remove four screws, lift the cover, remove something else - aha, there’s the socket. Remove the blanking plug and install a nice short 6-pin I had in its original box. Reassemble, changing couplings for Kadee 18s. Managed to avoid Isaac Newton helping destroy the chassis. Place on layout - eh? Strong sounds of a DC loco! Penny dropped. The “decoder” was a blanking plug taken out of another loco, which is why it was so compact! I had swapped one blanking plug for another. A new decoder is on order from Coastal DCC.

Getting old is such fun!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry you had that misfortune. But wait until you hear how stupid I was! Put loco in Peco foam cradle, remove four screws, lift the cover, remove something else - aha, there’s the socket. Remove the blanking plug and install a nice short 6-pin I had in its original box. Reassemble, changing couplings for Kadee 18s. Managed to avoid Isaac Newton helping destroy the chassis. Place on layout - eh? Strong sounds of a DC loco! Penny dropped. The “decoder” was a blanking plug taken out of another loco, which is why it was so compact! I had swapped one blanking plug for another. A new decoder is on order from Coastal DCC.

Getting old is such fun!

So comforting to see I am not a one off.....

Rob

• Like 1

Getting old is such fun!

Sorry for the lack of sympathy here, Ian, I wanted to click the 'funny' icon as well as the 'friendly/supportive' one!

Don't worry, though. I can afford to laugh at you because I have done equally silly things by not keeping track of what I put down and where I put it. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the lack of sympathy here, Ian, I wanted to click the 'funny' icon as well as the 'friendly/supportive' one!

Don't worry, though. I can afford to laugh at you because I have done equally silly things by not keeping track of what I put down and where I put it. :D

If I hadn’t expected laughter I wouldn’t have posted! By all means mock away!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Getting old is such fun!

A true senor moment join the club Dudds. :banghead:

• Like 2

Hi, so did Youchoos John have a crack at the B4?

Sorry for the delay in reply. Yes John brought along a B4 in which he had fitted a Zimo sound decoder! He said it had been quite difficult not only because of lack of space but also keeping all the bits together on reassembly. (he actually used more technical language but I think that was the message!) . So it was effectively a Blue Peter - here's one I did earlier. But he did demonstrate some very small and impressive speakers. He concluded with an easy installation in the Bulleid Diesel. Wow!

Sorry for the delay in reply. Yes John brought along a B4 in which he had fitted a Zimo sound decoder! He said it had been quite difficult not only because of lack of space but also keeping all the bits together on reassembly. (he actually used more technical language but I think that was the message!) . So it was effectively a Blue Peter - here's one I did earlier. But he did demonstrate some very small and impressive speakers. He concluded with an easy installation in the Bulleid Diesel. Wow!

Thanks. Will look forwards to his technical guide with technical language.

Question for you all... did any of the B4s with an open cab keep them til the end of the Grouping era at all? I am sure I have seen a photo of a B4 in the late grouping era with an open cab but not can't remember where I saw it... :)

Want to check before purchasing a Normandy and having it renamed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A true senor moment join the club Dudds. :banghead:

Anyway, I now seem to have acquired a Caen as well as the early BR version. I can attest that a Digitrax DZ126IN fits perfectly and the loco performs as everyone has said. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you all... did any of the B4s with an open cab keep them til the end of the Grouping era at all? I am sure I have seen a photo of a B4 in the late grouping era with an open cab but not can't remember where I saw it... :)

Want to check before purchasing a Normandy and having it renamed.

Paraphrasing Cooper B4 Tanks monograph - p18 states all eight txfrd to docks in 1893/6 had fully cutout cabs but that most of those with cutouts at Southampton docks had front drivers side filled in (with a small square window ) in the 1920s, or earlier. and in 1930s the other front side was also filled in .... and at the same time (in 1930s) they started to acquire sidesheets that in many cases looked homemade and from photos appeared to be made of wood. He does advise on page 18 that 176 Guernsey was running with full cutaway cab until 1930s  However same book then includes a photo on back cover purporting to be of Guernsey (lettering indistinct) with open back but filled in front RHS of cab i.e. no front cutout on RHS (can't see left) and book says photo was taken around 1920s (hmmm go figure !!) . He then goes on to state that proper sidesheets made of metal appeared to be put on all  that had been sent to the docks during the war - possibly as a blackout measure.

Ditto p 21 has picture of Brittany with cutouts at back of cab but not front on 4 Sep 1937

Ditto page 20 same day has Havre with wooden sidesheets but still with rear cutouts

Ditto back cover Guernsey with no cab back but RHS front definitely has been filled in with square window in a photo dated apparently to the 1920s.

It would look like your best bet may be Guernsey but it might pay you to double check with an expert as opposed to just a reader (me!!) with a book.

• 2 months later...

I just received a B4 Caen thanks to Rails flash sale! Everything was where it should be, and it ran okay except it ticked quite loudly in reverse, this turned out to be the motion just catching the remarkably thin footstep. I very gently bent it away and the ticking was gone. I must say I was somewhat disappointed how light it was, Hornby's brilliant Peckett is so much smaller yet far heavier and will "wup" the B4s pants for haulage. Never being one to give up, I took it apart and saw that the side tanks are full of nothing but air except for a strange small plastic box in one of them. I filled all the available space with lead, including a disk in the front of the smokebox (bad idea!) Had real fun shortening the blanking plate enough to reassemble. However! now not only will it pull anything it runs so silky smooth compared to before. I'm super impressed and at less than £80 a real bargain. Just one thing that struck me as odd though, why go to all the effort of fitting flickering firebox, but no crew in there? I'm not sure it would be possible to get any in as the entrance is very tight. Also what is that strange device behind the dome? I noticed that the later BR liveried ones don't have it.

Yes, the Hornby Peckett is a masterpiece in design.

Also what is that strange device behind the dome? I noticed that the later BR liveried ones don't have it.

It is a filtrator fitted to the docks engines to help combat the poor water quality from the docks supply.