Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

Good news!

I contacted Dapol over the colour on the Guensey sample - and it is only a sample, of course - and I have been assured that Dapol is aware of the issue and that the green on this sample is not the shade that will be applied to the production model, which will be a significantly darker black-green, in accordance with the artwork we have seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In descending order Urie, Adams, Drummond

The Southern Style sample colour for the Adams looks darker than the light 'pea' green we're used to.  The description of Drummond's green as only slightly darker makes more sense, though.

I don't get hung up on precise shades, though. I like an interpretation of the Drummond green that favours the Hamilton Ellis paintings. I prefer the shade on 735 in your post to the M7 below for that reason.  

1088429371_DSC_9848-Copy(2).JPG.abbedbca7a06081cceefc536873e2f1d.JPG

T1.jpg.322ee7863e69a5209a573d66e9fae25a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Quick Q, Dapol do these locos DCC fitted and I regret slightly not buying them as so (partly because I was thinking of doing DCC sound instead).

The Dapol instructions say a 6 pin DCC chip about 11mm in length, yet I cannot find any that small even in Dapol's Imperium range.

Does anyone do a plain DCC chip this small ? (I imagine Dapol have done them but sell them only directly in their DCC fitted models).  

For ultra-small decoders, you could look at the CT Elektronik range. I have used wired versions of these in very tight installations, like the Bachmann Wickham trolley. They do have quite respectable current-handling figures.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2019 at 09:38, JSpencer said:

Quick Q, Dapol do these locos DCC fitted and I regret slightly not buying them as so (partly because I was thinking of doing DCC sound instead).

The Dapol instructions say a 6 pin DCC chip about 11mm in length, yet I cannot find any that small even in Dapol's Imperium range.

Does anyone do a plain DCC chip this small ? (I imagine Dapol have done them but sell them only directly in their DCC fitted models).  

I have a Dapol Imperium 6 pin decoder in mine and it fitted perfectly. 

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/06/2019 at 22:08, Kaput said:

Dapol generally use Gaugemaster DCC23 chips for their 6pin DCC fitted models.

On 21/06/2019 at 22:13, PaulRhB said:

I used one of the small Zimo chips that was 13mm long, I just gently bent it up once in the socket to about 20-30°so it fit within the 11mm gap. 

On 22/06/2019 at 02:58, SRman said:

For ultra-small decoders, you could look at the CT Elektronik range. I have used wired versions of these in very tight installations, like the Bachmann Wickham trolley. They do have quite respectable current-handling figures.

On 22/06/2019 at 10:55, Roy Langridge said:

I have a Dapol Imperium 6 pin decoder in mine and it fitted perfectly. 

Roy

Thanks for the tips everyone.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2019 at 11:40, Edwardian said:

One other detail someone might be able to help me with, the left hand rear cab sheet has an extra scallop.  I don't have a picture of Guernsey in this condition, but Jersey lacks this additional shape, so if anyone could clarify, that would be helpful.

Looking at current photos, Normandy has the extra scallop, but Granville doesn't. I'm assuming that it's to give clearance for the handbrake handle - perhaps this was in different positions on different locos? or was moved at some point?

I've found a photo of Normandy in Corrall Queen days (enclosed cab) with a semicircular protrusion in the same place, which supports it being a handbrake clearance thing.

On 17/06/2019 at 10:35, Edwardian said:

The latest crop of these were on display at the Great Central over the weekend.

DSCN0958.JPG.0da13944a1ffbd3da75d4967a56ec588.JPG

Dapol kindly let one loose to photograph more clearly. 

DSCN0962.JPG.3102a7f8ba50f8fb73c19ae1405d5ff9.JPG

DSCN0963.JPG.703e9768cdea1ca2f290473af8be5dc0.JPG

With the cut-away cab, the backhead detail really gets a chance to shine. 

This was a motorised DC sample.  It ran with the smoothness the model is known for and with the firebox glow showing clearly.  

DSCN0965.JPG.3a68357e9bea6dc89545b77ad6207eb4.JPG

A stunning little loco and a great performer.  I do think the cut-away cab is an attractive variation, and one which shows the cab interior to advantage.  It's the first of these that coincides with the period of my other LSWR stuff, so even though I don't need a dock tank, clearly I shall have to invest in this one. 

I realise that the "light green" is not prototypically correct, but it is an attractive colour for a freelance industrial, the realistic colour proposed is a bit dull.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any sighting of the next batch of these at Warley ? 

These were due early 4th quarter but I'm anticipating these being put back with the impending arrival of the O gauge 14xx.

30084 for Crimbo would be nice......

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581
sausage hooves

10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Any sighting of the next batch of these at Warley ? 

These were due early 4th quarter but I'm anticipating these being put back with the impending arrival of the O gauge 14xx.

30084 for Crimbo would be nice......

Rob 

Hattons are showing Q1 2020 now.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JSpencer said:

Thanks. If that does prove to be the case that'll be the birthday sorted. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

Just a thought on greens (or greys etc).  

A hundred years ago (and for some time after that) paints were not stable enough to be kept in stock for any length of time- accordingly they were mixed to immediate requirement, mostly once the loco was in the paintshop and often while the previous adjacent colour was drying.

Paints at the works were mixed by adding "one part of" to "three parts of" etc.  This was done in a container and the pigments were poured in using buckets- one part equals one bucket.  Allow for the stuff that ends up on the floor or the apprentice who underfills one of the buckets to avoid getting it in the neck from the foreman for spilling the bucket, there was day-to-day variation in any given mixture.   Similarly the purity of the supplied pigments themselves would vary from batch to batch, again affecting the colour.

Also different pigments faded at different rates and locos were sometimes in the works yard for a time either before being lined and varnished or awaiting a minor rectification before being put into traffic.  The result of all this is that for any given livery there were quite a few variations in shade even amongst locos of the same class.  Paint technology was just not that good.

If you have three SECR locos in different shades of green you probably have about thirty fewer shades than the SECR itself did had on any given day- the same appliers to the LSWR, the NER etc etc.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2019 at 07:41, JSpencer said:

email from Hatton's this week saying March/April 2020 for new B4s.

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
remove link
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2019 at 00:37, laurenceb said:

Fast forward to the 21fst century and go into a diy shed and on the back of the paint tins it tells you that if using paint from more than one batch to mix them together before painting

And a Warning saying application of paint to a surface may change its appearance and may extend the longevity of the products surface.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2019 at 10:38, JSpencer said:

Hi,

With regard to small DCC decoders I may admit the very small new Zimo MX616 (8×8×2.4 mm) besides the MX617 (13×9×2.5 mm)

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/products/lokdecoder.htm

(for whatever reason only visible on the German language page) 

The motor management of Zimo decoders usually is very good and capable to deal with China-made motors. The Zimos definitely effect a far better result than the also very small ESU LokPilot Nano.

Cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/03/2020 at 19:36, montyburns56 said:

B4 Survivor, at Eastleigh..

Interesting. That's that bird's nest on the chimney for? And is it just me, or does 30102 have a coal load over the boiler/firebox?

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, truffy said:

Interesting. That's that bird's nest on the chimney for? And is it just me, or does 30102 have a coal load over the boiler/firebox?

Think that looks like a form of spark arrestor on the chimney. 

I suspect the coal over the top of the firebox is probably there to extend time between refilling the small bunkers while shunting. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, truffy said:

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Think that looks like a form of spark arrestor on the chimney. 

30102 was latterly shedded at Plymouth Friary.  The spark arrestor was fitted for shunting in areas with a high percentage of combustibles present - of which there were several in the Plymouth area, but most particularly Oreston timber yard.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Spelling!
  • Informative/Useful 1