Livley Polly the elusive tank

844fan

Hello all,

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct place to post this so if not I will move it.

Anyway I've been after information for ages on a one of a kind tank engine. So far I've only leared a few things. Firstly she is the only engine of the Liverpool Overhead Railway powered by steam. Two She worked at Monks Ferry Wharf near Birkenhead.

She is a 0-4-0 tank by the name of "Lively Polly" and I want to model her. Unfoutionetly I've come up dry on so many of my searches for information about her. As well I have only found 4 photos of her. Anyone have any clues where I can search?

I'm wanting to also figure out her pulling power prototipicly so I know what kind of trains she could pull. But with so little information I can't even guess.

Anyway any help would be appriceated.

Thanks all,

844fan

That is a neat little engine. But I do believe that is not Lively Polly. For one thing Lively Polly had Dumb Buffers and was never fitted with properly sprung ones.

But that one does seem to be from Liverpool for the right line. Maybe it was her replacement when she went to Monks Ferry. You have given me another puzzle here David. And that is fine by me as I like these little shunters.

Maybe I should rename the topic to Liverpool Overheas steam.

Thank you much,

844fan

Looking at the caption date on the original photo that would be the demolition contractors' loco.

there was a kitson tank that is quoted as working on the liverpool overhead.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/8/88/Im195703RM-Kitson.jpg

Im195703RM-Kitson.jpg

Oh nice another shot of her. It's a very clear shot too. Though I don't like how she got the blockey Dumb buffers. The Bracket style ones she had in a few other shots look so much nicer.

Looking at the caption date on the original photo that would be the demolition contractors' loco.

Ah so a demo company. I'm guessing it was for decomissioning the old line.

As I can ascertain (and there may be some dispute), it was originally a Kitson tram locomotive built in 1884 (b/n T111) and supplied to the West Lancashire Railway (no. 12 "CROSSENS").  It was subsequently re-purchased by Kitson's and converted to a conventional locomotive and fitted with new worksplates dated 1893.  It (she) went into service on the Liverpool Overhead Railway, acquiring the name "Lively Polly".  Sold in 1948, she was overhauled by Cudworth & Johnson of Wrexham and went to Monk's Ferry coal wharf, Birkenhead in 1949.  I can find no record that the locomotive survives.

As built the locomotive had 3'0" driving wheels.

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/overhead#!/

I've taken the liberty of copying a photo from the discussion on the Industrial Railway Society Yahoo Group mentioned in the above link.  The original source was an Ian Allan "ABC of Minor Railways Locomotives", 1945.  The "side tanks" are valences covering the valve gear.

post-10122-0-87620300-1429895864_thumb.jpg

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

As I can ascertain (and there may be some dispute), it was originally a Kitson tram locomotive built in 1884 (b/n T111) and supplied to the West Lancashire Railway (no. 12 "CROSSENS").  It was subsequently re-purchased by Kitson's and converted to a conventional locomotive and fitted with new worksplates dated 1893.  It (she) went into service on the Liverpool Overhead Railway, acquiring the name "Lively Polly".  Sold in 1948, she was overhauled by Cudworth & Johnson of Wrexham and went to Monk's Ferry coal wharf, Birkenhead in 1949.  I can find no record that the locomotive survives.

As built the locomotive had 3'0" driving wheels.

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/overhead#!/

I've taken the liberty of copying a photo from the discussion on the Industrial Railway Society Yahoo Group mentioned in the above link.  The original source was an Ian Allan "ABC of Minor Railways Locomotives", 1945.  The "side tanks" are valences covering the valve gear.

attachicon.gifLOR+LIVELY+POLLY+K+0-4-0WT+T261+blt+1893+JL.jpg

Oh wow Eddie you are a wealth of information my friend. This brings the total photo amount up to 5. Huh she started life as a Tram engine. Thats interesting and certainly explains why she is so small after her rebuild.

Side tanks doubling as splashers is a neat concept. And by my guess her cylinders are much larger than I thought. Bigger than the Flying Buffer Beams' if I may say so judging from these pictures.

your photo insert doesnt dosent work Eddie

Should work now.

I think you are thinking of "Mermaid" which worked at Monks ferry before Lively polly and had large dumb buffers, i have a shot somewhere.

I don't think so. All pictures I've seen are of the same loco but with differnt Dumb Buffer setups. Unless "Mermaid" Was of the same class I highly doubt it. Anyone know of any pictures of "Mermaid"? That way we can figure it out.

Yes, it was an ice scraper for the third rail.

Well then that solves that mystery. I suspect Ice was a bigger problem for suspended lines since it not only interfered with the power continuity but also weighed down the rail like it can do to overhead power lines. I've seen that kind of damage first hand three years in a row. 

• 2 months later...

There was a feature run on her in the mid (?) 30s, I think in Model Railway Constructor including photos front and back and sides, both before and after fitting dumb buffers. At the same time, the smokebox door was changed, and the cab extended back over the rear bufferbeam. I'll see if I can find it again (I was only reading it two weeks ago!) The photos aren't great, but they're better than nothing! I think there are also some more views of her in Paul Bolger's book on the LOR?

• 1 year later...

With regard to the contention that this little beastie started life as tram engine t111 in 1884 i am fairly doubtful. In the book 'minor railways of england and their locomotives' there is provided an image of kitson no t260 of 1893 for the barry dock company from thence to the corringham light railway. Dimensions given as follows: cylinders 8"bore x 12" stroke, drivers 3' diameter, wheelbase 6' boiler 2'9" diameter with 73 tubes of brass, total heating surface area 159.5 sq.ft, grate area 6ft, weight in working order 10 tons 2cwt side valances 12"tall.

This engine had bracket buffers and is credited as being virtually identical to lively polly (mayflower) the picture seems to show the engine in lined out works grey.

Edited by Killian keane

I don't think so. All pictures I've seen are of the same loco but with differnt Dumb Buffer setups. Unless "Mermaid" Was of the same class I highly doubt it. Anyone know of any pictures of "Mermaid"? That way we can figure it out.

Mermaid was an elderly manning wardle 0-4-0st at monks ferry coaling wharf where lively polly ended her days (at some point there named mayflower) there is a picture of the manning wardle towards the end of 'industrial locomotives of cheshire,shropshire and herefordshire' showing very large wooden block buffers. She was works number 226 of 1868 Edited by Killian keane

id forgotten about this thread.

over time ive found a few more pics of Polly and some similar others online, photos credited to whom they may be as i cant remember

post-9948-0-07015500-1473277228.jpg

post-9948-0-00661200-1473277229_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-35626600-1473277231_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-99462100-1473277231_thumb.jpg

Kitson's 2752 and 2753 of 1884 of the Strathalbyn tramway, south Aus'

post-9948-0-26005500-1473277225_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-62872600-1473277226_thumb.jpg

kitson ? at Toongabbie quarry NSW

post-9948-0-64904300-1473277232.jpg

T109 of 1893, Corringham light railway, Essex

post-9948-0-62425100-1473277224.jpg

and lastly one im not sure of