Livley Polly the elusive tank

844fan

• 3 months later...

im bringing up the thread again as a new pic on ebay has been posted

https://picclick.co.uk/CORRINGHAM-LIGHT-RlyKITSON-TRAM-ENGINE-then-BARRY-Proper-R-P-P-C-142453479092.html#&gid=1&pid=1

the thing is that it says, corringham then barry, but "cordite" was on the corringham right up to scrapping and didnt have sprung buffers, "Polly" as well never had sprung buffers and the boiler was different after the rebuild in wrexham so this leads me to believe that the photo in question is of the missing sister of the triplets which went unrecorded after the 1893 rebuild

post-9948-0-45642200-1500896935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ive been corrected again by those in the know, the pic on ebay is of Cordite, my assumption was that she didnt have sprung buffers based on the pic that Toffee say is Corringham back on page 1 with bumb buffers but this loco also has the curves on the back sheet welded up just like cordite

Cordite

post-9948-0-49053800-1500975633.jpg

photo in question from ebay that ive now been informed is also cordite

post-9948-0-12513300-1500975614_thumb.jpg

and the photo that im not of now because it doesnt look quite right to be Cordite in comparison to the above

post-9948-0-89279600-1500975632.png

There are several almost identical views as this one. I think there was some speculation that it was taken at J F Wake's in Darlington but that the actual location was Darlington shed. 

Perhaps the following, from The Industrial Locomotive No 112, might help:

"Assuming this ledger to be correct, WLR number 10 recorded as sold to Richard White would be T110, and thus presumed to be the loco later with Price & Reeves, Buchanans and subsequently photographed at Darlington. We know from observation at Rea Monks Ferry that the Liverpool Overhead loco was stamped T111. Which leaves T109 to be with Linton & Green, Barry Docks, and eventually at the Corringham Light Railway. I think.

Vic Bradley    Church Stretton"

On the West Lancs T109 was "Hesketh" (No. 12), T110 was "Churchdown" (No. 10), and T111 "Crossens" (No. 11)

Vic Bradley started with an article entitled "Three Troublesome Kitsons" in Industrial Locomotive No. 99, and there was further discussion until the above quoted seemed to bring the matter to a close.

Hope this helps.

Credit to Micheal Davis on Facebook for these

Troublesome kitsons, The industrial no 99 from 2001

some of the pages have been accidentally duplicated by micheal but it doesnt matter

scans of an article Darlington coal yard Kitson

post-9948-0-01915300-1501237855_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-36583300-1501237856_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-10246900-1501237857_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-80766400-1501237857_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Credit to Micheal Davis on Facebook for these

Troublesome kitsons, The industrial no 99 from 2001

some of the pages have been accidentally duplicated by micheal but it doesnt matter

attachicon.gifTroublesome Kitsons.pdf

scans of an article Darlington coal yard Kitson

attachicon.gifkitson - darlington coal yard (1).jpg

attachicon.gifkitson - darlington coal yard (2).jpg

attachicon.gifkitson - darlington coal yard (3).jpg

attachicon.gifkitson - darlington coal yard (4).jpg

Sam I have no idea how you do it but my friend you never cease to amaze. Great stuff for making a good little Kitson.

• RMweb Premium

OK, here we go. (Mods, if this is still in copyright I claim Fair Use.)

attachicon.giflivelypolly1.jpgattachicon.giflivelypolly2.jpgattachicon.giflivelypolly3.jpg

The original page size is only slightly larger than A5.

The platelayers hut van runs on Herculaneum Dock in OO. It's a nice item. By the time of Mikes' model Polly had been replaced by a Ruston.

Baz

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 30/07/2017 at 07:24, rockershovel said:

Re the Tri-Ang locos, I believe they were named Nellie, Connie and Polly after the locos on the Emmett miniature Railway at the Festival of Britain.

The locos on Rowland Emett's miniature railway (Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway) included Nellie, but the other engines were called Neptune and Wild Goose.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Earlier in the year i got an issue of Bylines (vol 2 Issue 5) for the article about the Eyemouth branch, but an extra little bonus in the letter section is also a photo of Polly and bucket wagon in May 1958 by a Mr C. Golding. he also provides a photo of an Andrew Barclay at Cooke & Nuttall's in Horchich with a different but same type of wagon.

Mr Golding writes that these wagons were used at Ifton Colliery and still in mainline use into the late 50's

• 1 year later...
On 23/04/2015 at 04:59, 844fan said:

That is a neat little engine. But I do believe that is not Lively Polly. For one thing Lively Polly had Dumb Buffers and was never fitted with properly sprung ones.

But that one does seem to be from Liverpool for the right line. Maybe it was her replacement when she went to Monks Ferry. You have given me another puzzle here David. And that is fine by me as I like these little shunters.

Maybe I should rename the topic to Liverpool Overheas steam.

Thank you much,

844fan

Hi, this loco is hudswell clarke 402 Lord Mayor

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Man have I been a fool for how long I have been gone. In the interest of all Polly lovers I am reviving this thread for picture and detail purposes. This tank needs more love, just like Gazelle but that is another thread for another time.

• RMweb Premium

I still have no idea of the colour Polly was on the LOR - certainly not black in this photo, the cab is clearly not the same colour as the smokebox. It might well not ave had red buffer beams either, the LOR trains only had small splashes of red on the truss rod ends. Polly doesn't have the LOR central buffers which seem to been added later.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I still have no idea of the colour Polly was on the LOR - certainly not black in this photo, the cab is clearly not the same colour as the smokebox. It might well not ave had red buffer beams either, the LOR trains only had small splashes of red on the truss rod ends. Polly doesn't have the LOR central buffers which seem to been added later.

Truth is unless we have a program on computer which can tell what color the shades of grey were we may probably never know. I mean we all know why the house in the Adams' family showed up so well was due to bright pink paint.

• RMweb Premium

If I ever build it for Herculaneum Dock I'll have to make some sort of guess about the colour, although it looks black in later photos at Monks Ferry. I had the same problem with its successor, the RH 48DS, but eventually decided it was probably in Ruston's standard green livery.

• Round of applause 1

WALKER'S FALSTAFF ALES

I don't think that's been about for decades!

ISTR it was seen as the "dockers drink". Still a few pub signs about in some of the pubs. A couple of old images here.

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-US/noartistknown/police-try-to-control-fans-in-the-streets-of-liverpool-before-the-premiere-of-the-beatles-film-a/photograph/asset/5100946

https://www.prints-online.com/social-liverpool-pub-4366206.html

Jason