Organising your workbench

• RMweb Premium

I'm moving my stuff into my new railway room. I've got a corner computer desk as my workbench. But how do I organise my tools, paints, glues, couplings, transfers, nuts and bolts, handrail knobs, plasticard,window frames, models under construction, scenic bits etc in an orderley way so I can find everything and hopefully keep it tidy?

I'm moving my stuff into my new railway room. I've got a corner computer desk as my workbench. But how do I organise my tools, paints, glues, couplings, transfers, nuts and bolts, handrail knobs, plasticard,window frames, models under construction, scenic bits etc in an orderley way so I can find everything and hopefully keep it tidy?

Whats this keeping things tidy all about.

Some time ago after much frustration, I decided to take the time to BUILD myself an "upright" gate-fold type toolbox in which every tool has its own slot or hook. This may seem a little OCD, but believe me, it isn't. I've saved masses of time, stress and foul language compared to the days of rummaging through heaps of tools either on the bench or in three different tool boxes, looking for the item I wanted, which was always at the bottom of the last heap in which I could possibly look! It used to routinely take far longer to find the tools and put them away again than it did to do the planned job. Discipline yourself to put the tools BACK as you work, rather than just DOWN, and reap the rewards!

Hi Colin,

I'm not sure if you visit the bargain hunters thread but on the 23rd of this month there was a post displaying some small stacking drawer units which would be ideal for storing modelling parts of a varying sizes. I have a selection of laundry tablet boxes that stack neatly for storing less required items. Each one contains different things such as 'loco servicing kit', 'spare kit parts' etc. I also use glass jam jars with metal lids, i screw the lids under shelves with 2+ screws to the under side of a shelf, then when you need something, simply unscrew the jar from the lid, retrieve the required item then screw the jar back to its lid. This keeps things neat and tidy and yet remain visible :)

I hope this is of some assistance to somebody.

Happy modelling, Jason

Many years ago, one of the best investments I made was to buy a couple of 15 drawer metal cabinets like these :-

http://www.staples.co.uk/filing-cabinets/cbs/380027.html?promoCode=300300666&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=380027&cm_sp=W15_02_107_08UK-_-u_ad_01_link_url

Mine were actually branded Silverline rather than Bisley, but practically identical. Worth taking a look on Amazon or Ebay for other colours, number and size of drawers.

Not cheap, but I keep nearly all my modelling tools, track components, paints, plastic sheets and sections and much else in them. I re-use some food containers (Philadelphia cheese, mmmm) to sub divide some drawers for small items. Only thing I cannot get in them are the taller paint jars and reels of solder. As the drawers simply slide out you can also use them as a tray for tools etc if you are say, working in another room.

Brian G.

I have some of those liberated from work when they were no longer used.

You can get them with all the drawers the same size, or with a choice and selection of drawers...useful for some tools, the airbrush etc.

But how do I organise my tools, paints, glues, couplings, transfers, nuts and bolts, handrail knobs, plasticard,window frames, models under construction, scenic bits etc in an orderley way so I can find everything and hopefully keep it tidy?

When you begin a modelling session shove enough stuff from the front to the back and the sides to clear a space big enough for whatever you want to do. Everything you need should then be conveniently at hand somewhere towards the back or sides of the bench depending on how long it is since you last used it. As you bring things into the space you will leave gaps which can be filled by shoving the stuff you have been using recently as before. It helps to have a bench with a back and sides to keep everything in place. I don't think there is another way, is there?

When you begin a modelling session shove enough stuff from the front to the back and the sides to clear a space big enough for whatever you want to do. Everything you need should then be conveniently at hand somewhere towards the back or sides of the bench depending on how long it is since you last used it. As you bring things into the space you will leave gaps which can be filled by shoving the stuff you have been using recently as before. It helps to have a bench with a back and sides to keep everything in place. I don't think there is another way, is there?

I agree in principle but disagree about fitting a back and sides. These prevent things falling to the floor where there is much more storage space :-)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for your replies. I certainly was in the 'push it all to the back' category!

I had a bit of time in Preston this afternoon (between driving rail replacement coaches) and now have a set of large plastic drawers (probably for scenic items), a set of small A4 sized drawers (for plasticard and other sheet material) and some flat hobby boxes for paint, couplings etc.

Cheers, Colin

I found that an office desk pen holder comprising several upright cylinders of varying heights (you know what I mean !) was the best thing I have ever used to keep my immediate workbench tidy.    

I use an old toffee tin to keep files upright and an old bathroom shampoo/hair conditioner/body wash wire basket to keep small bottles tidy and out of the way. In addition the drawer unit of the IKEA desk/work bench is used to keep a Maplin toolbox and stores out of the way and tidy.

I always tidy up after a session (which are non too frequent) as the modelling bench is in the spare bedroom and the grandsons come around frequently and I might not be there when they appear. Sharp tools can be a menace to small children!

Regards

More like small children can be a menace with sharp tools.

Not like us lot!

OzzyO.

A scalpel or a Stanley knife will take off a child's finger before he notices the pain. Any damage a child can inflict on property can be repaired or replaced. Which do you think is the more important?

More like small children can be a menace with sharp tools.

Not like us lot!

OzzyO.

A scalpel or a Stanley knife will take off a child's finger before he notices the pain. Any damage a child can inflict on property can be repaired or replaced. Which do you think is the more important?

It was a joke,

not like this cut in my finger that was caused by a blunt blade, I now have a nice scar about 1/2" long due to it.

post-8920-0-92980900-1430391761_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

PS I will say it again, kids and sharp tools don't work well together.

OR DON'T LET THEM GET THERE HANDS ON YOUR TOOLS.

PPS. due to me cutting myself that much I don't have any blood left.

post-1131-0-03238000-1430393214.jpeg

From the 99p Shop (Not £1 or poundland), draw sizes 14 cm x 10 cm x 3 cm

post-1131-0-15773200-1430393252.jpeg

Ideal for paint tins and stack on top of each other

post-1131-0-18358800-1430393272.jpeg

Its little brother which also can be stacked draw sizes 11 cm x 7 cm x 2 cm

5 units for a fiver with 5p change very good value as well as space saving

I use an old toffee tin to keep files upright and an old bathroom shampoo/hair conditioner/body wash wire basket to keep small bottles tidy and out of the way. In addition the drawer unit of the IKEA desk/work bench is used to keep a Maplin toolbox and stores out of the way and tidy.

I always tidy up after a session (which are non too frequent) as the modelling bench is in the spare bedroom and the grandsons come around frequently and I might not be there when they appear. Sharp tools can be a menace to small children!

Regards

I forgot to mention that I screwed one of these to the wall. Very useful to coin a phrase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Realuse-0-14L-Really-Useful-Organiser/dp/B004VRQF7A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1430496264&sr=8-7&keywords=really+useful+box

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at this site, Hobbyzone. They do a modular storage system for workdesk which look ideal. If I hadn't already built mien I would have seriously considered this idea.

Below is just an idea of what this system can accomplish.

356_1000x1000.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at this site, Hobbyzone. They do a modular storage system for workdesk which look ideal. If I hadn't already built mien I would have seriously considered this idea.

356_1000x1000.jpg

Three letters to describe that............

OCD.

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

I saw an old writing bureau in a charity shop for £50 yesterday, and it just fits an alcove in my lounge....does anyone think such a thing would make a good work place?

Most things can be adapted to other jobs and a bureau, I think, would make an ideal work desk, you can sit at it, you can write on it and you can even put things in it. :jester: Most importantly you could make models at it.

I had an old compact kitchen table, which we were going to throw away, and adapted it to a modelling work bench.

post-8259-0-37245700-1413256718_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-58728100-1399301679_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-07994600-1399301681_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-18742800-1398808420_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-49232300-1398808418_thumb.jpg

Most things can be adapted to other jobs and a bureau, I think, would make an ideal work desk, you can sit at it, you can write on it and you can even put things in it. :jester: Most importantly you could make models at it.

I had an old compact kitchen table, which we were going to throw away, and adapted it to a modelling work bench.

Just looking at the pics here, I have to much...... stuff!!!!!

I bought a roll top desk (I think I saw the idea here) just roll the top down and it is hidden.....

Problem, I'd leave the laptop there, I'd put loose bits and pieces that were NOT train related there. It just became a great resting spot for, "stuff".

I have reverted back to my small table which is small....still holds all the junk I put on it, but gets moved a damn sight more often now, and I can still find room to model on it.

As for the roll top desk....it's now in the study with this laptop on it, with all my other junk.

Khris

356_1000x1000.jpg

No one actualy models at that bench. 

That, or his wife tidyied up while he was away on a fishing trip with the boys.

Archived