When D9016 was purple..

Philip Jackson

I loved the loco in this get-up.

Even more enjoyable was the reaction from the enthusiast community who are largely so bloody crushingly conservative. It was a real 'Mona Lisa with a Mohican' moment, sticking two fingers up at the dogmatists! :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Porterbrook ending up owning 'Gordon' by default as I recall ; they financed works to the loco but sadly the then owning group were unable to repay the debt; and as a result 16 went into Porterbrook's ownership. It was then bought by an individual, who sold it to HNRC after several years before Beaver Sports/Martin Walker got it at the 3rd attempt!

• 3 years later...
On 20/05/2015 at 19:15, 55016 said:

Porterbrook ending up owning 'Gordon' by default as I recall ; they financed works to the loco but sadly the then owning group were unable to repay the debt; and as a result 16 went into Porterbrook's ownership. It was then bought by an individual, who sold it to HNRC after several years before Beaver Sports/Martin Walker got it at the 3rd attempt!

Pretty much spot on. There was a naive belief within Porterbrook that this could be a proper commercial transaction. In essence, D9000LL were loaned a significant sum of money to renovate 9016, and then they couldn't repay. So Porterbrook (specifically, me) repossessed the loco (as the agreement permitted). Porterbrook was then the proud owner of an incomplete loco. The subsequent engine fire at Loughborough meant the company then owned a single-engined, barely complete loco. This is what is know as a bit of a problem.

One day, the whole story will get written down, but not yet. The tragedy was that D9000LL's main person (I'm sure you all know his name) was a decent man, but prone to taking poor advice; he died - relatively young - not long after this episode.

• Like 1