Salt Wagons, the old gable roof type.

JZ

What happened to the old type salt wagons on nationalisation? Can't find any pictures of this type in any books I've got. Quite fancy a couple for variety, but would they be prototypical?

What happened to the old type salt wagons on nationalisation? Can't find any pictures of this type in any books I've got. Quite fancy a couple for variety, but would they be prototypical?

They certainly ran after Nationalisation, and well into the BR steam era.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They remained as PO wagon in use with their owners as they were exempt from Pooling in 1939 and remained so till their owners withdrew them from use!

The  Post 1939 photo's can be identified as they have NP or Non Pool branding!

There are two photo's that have been on here in the last month but I can't remember the title!

David Larkin has published some in his original PO book by Bradford & Barton many years ago!

Mark Saunders

Check out the 16 mineral wagon thread - there's a link posted by "Porcy Maine" today to a picture of a Clayton on an entire train of these...............??

EDIT - see below - not quite the same wagons

Edited by Southernman46

They must have lasted a while, as Hornby Dublo did a model in the 1960s of one in Saxa Salt livery. I would guess that at the time the model came out they must have still been about as Hornby Dublo liked to make models of current locomotives and rolling stock for the time.

• 2 years later...

Don't know if any still exist but have seen a wagon with that style of roof near Somerton in a field.

Just visible over the hedge https://www.google.com/maps/@51.056995,-2.696521,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4DNo5Pqih8MbRY0oAhK-cg!2e0

I was looking at a full-sized one today elsewhere, though sadly it is in a very sorry state.

I'm pretty sure some others survive - I think Snibson museum may have had one, but I don't know where it is now.

I was looking at a full-sized one today elsewhere, though sadly it is in a very sorry state.

I'm pretty sure some others survive - I think Snibson museum may have had one, but I don't know where it is now.

A site on wagons (Related to the coach one) states the Somerton one as being of Chas Robert maker.

Salt and the atmosphere have taken their toll on this one though as stated.

• 1 year later...

Salt wagons lasted until the 1960s. They were for carrying packeted table salt. Unlike the grain or lime wagons they didn't have bottom discharge as they were used like vans.

I posted a photo in another thread of them being unloaded. I'll have a look for it but this is the closest I can find for now.

http://www.miac.org.uk/saltunion.html

Salt itself was carried in open wagons either sacked or sheeted, and latterly Presflos.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Lime was carried in similar wagons, and I've no idea how long they lasted either....

Early 1960s? For some reason, there aren't any photos of lime wagons in Larkin's pair of volumes on 'Non-Pool' wagons; there are several of salt wagons, the latest dated 'late 1950s

Slightly OT -  I was looking to get some covered salt vans for my layout 'near' Stafford. in oo gauge.  There seem many available RTR but despite some beautiful and accurate liveries, the models themselves seem very crude with massive thick webbed brake handles, long wheel bases and steel underframes.  I could live with over long, and maybe steel underframes, but the handbrakes make me wince.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/182228/bachmann_branchline_33_186_10_ton_covered_salt_wagon_ici_salt_works_weathered/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69100/dapol_4f_018_012_salt_van_snowdrift_weathered/stockdetail.aspx

I would guess they share a common heritage from years back.

Are there any more accurate ones out there?

regards

1 hour ago, ColHut said:

Slightly OT -  I was looking to get some covered salt vans for my layout 'near' Stafford. in oo gauge.  There seem many available RTR but despite some beautiful and accurate liveries, the models themselves seem very crude with massive thick webbed brake handles, long wheel bases and steel underframes.  I could live with over long, and maybe steel underframes, but the handbrakes make me wince.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/182228/bachmann_branchline_33_186_10_ton_covered_salt_wagon_ici_salt_works_weathered/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69100/dapol_4f_018_012_salt_van_snowdrift_weathered/stockdetail.aspx

I would guess they share a common heritage from years back.

Are there any more accurate ones out there?

regards

The Dapol one is based on the old Hornby-Dublo one, which is about 60 years old, I believe; the Bachmann one is rather more recent, but looks as though it suffers from trying to use underframe parts from other models. Perhaps one of these bodies, fitted to a Parkside underframe, might be an improvement? PA07 and 08 are 9' wheelbase, albeit steel-type.

• RMweb Gold

Peco Wonderfuls were a distinct cut above Hornby Dublo, with IIRC separate handbrake levers, brake shoes in line with the wheels, working springs, and sprung buffers; they’d stand up fairly well to modern RTR.  As such, they were also an improvement on early Mainline and Airfix/GMR, and still run rings around Dapol.  Triang’s were frankly toys and Lima, not bad as body toolings, were a moulded blobby joke below the solebars. 

And they had nicely pre-printed liveries.  Anyone who could manage an Airfix plastic kit could manage one, though they were a little more complex.