Etched six wheel coach underframe - new product

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Etched six wheel coach underframe

31' over headstock. Can be built with 20' or 21' (10'+10'/10' 6" +10'6)wheelbase.

These have been designed by Rich Brummitt to suit the Worsley Works SDJR 6 wheelers but are identical to MR 6 wheelers such as the old PC kits which many have in their gloat box. They could also be easily adapted for a host of other bodies such as those designed to take the N Gauge Society/Dapol underframe in the Ultima/Etched Pixel range amongst others.

The etch follows standard Association fold up construction and includes brake gear, foot/running boards and springs. Wheels, top hat bearings, axle boxes and buffers are required to complete.

I have built the test etch and have now ordered a batch which should be available from mid May. I will certainly have them at the expo in Chelford in June.

Price is £11.00 each plus P&P at cost depending on the number ordered. Contact details will be in the next Association Magazine or contact me via pm for details.

post-1074-0-93885500-1430124454_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'd better look to see how many I need!

Is this a rigid 6 wheeler? It looks to be from the photo- I'm struggling to see how the outer w irons locate in the floor plate.

Hi Richard, yes it's rigid. The picture below shows one of the test etches fitted under an. SDJR full brake being tested on William Smiths Wharf. The inner line of the curved point is around 15" radius and presents no problems.

The outer W irons locate on the floor plate with little tabs and slots depending on what wheelbase you want. Bit of a generalisation but the vast majority of SDJR and MR 6 wheelers had a 21' wheelbase, the full brakes tended to be 20', as were the LSWR passenger brakes. I don't know about other companies but 20'/ 21' seemed common hence my desire to cater for either.

Jerrypost-1074-0-27570100-1430337894_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tese do look rather nice Jerry. I am trying to work out if they are right for anything i want. I do know that the S&DJR six wheelers are quite similar to the Cambrian ones but I want those in a larger scale.  I must check the GWR siphons as they may suit them.

Don

These don't suit the Siphons because Siphons are 18'. I did do complete kits for all variants of 6 wheeled siphons and could easily do some more with just limited interest because the sheet size is small, but it does make the postage a significant part of the cost.

Back on topic Jerry's stock arrived today and I'll be dropping it off to him in a couple of weeks time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I now have the etches and will be cutting them from the sheets over the next couple of days and checking on the cost of postage. I will then advise on here and also contact those who have emailed me with firm orders.

For those who want to save on postage they can pick them up from me at Railex Aylesbury this weekend or at expo 2mm in June. Don't worry if you haven't pre ordered, I have plenty. I will also have some made up examples with me.

Jerry

Archived