Motorising a diecast tram

RAF96

I've got a tram from those infamous magazine flyers people (GBP 1.99 plus mega P&P, etc) and would like to motorise it. (OK - I hear groans and 'not again' but they are in my opinion nice models and a bargain at the price).

Could anyone please (politely) point me in the direction of how this could be done - either by a replacement motor bogie unit or by conversion of existing bogie to add a motor/geared axle/decent wheel set.

Thanks Rob

I've got a tram from those infamous magazine flyers people (GBP 1.99 plus mega P&P, etc) and would like to motorise it. (OK - I hear groans and 'not again' but they are in my opinion nice models and a bargain at the price).

Could anyone please (politely) point me in the direction of how this could be done - either by a replacement motor bogie unit or by conversion of existing bogie to add a motor/geared axle/decent wheel set.

Thanks Rob

It depends on what tram it is... - most of the recent series have started off with a Blackpool Balloon or Brush Car (Ex-Corgi) but IIRC at least one run started with something else...

Assuming it is a Blackpool Car, the truck sides are part of the body casting which limits options and limits the swing of the bogies.

There are 3 obvious options:

• ABS do a conversion kit specifically for the Corgi models, but this is not particularly popular among tramway modellers as the design means it can't take tight curves and ABS's customer service gets mixed reviews.
  • Use a butchered Bachmann PCC car chassis - A very common route - cheap and readily available.
  • Alan KIrkman (PC Models) has produced various chassis based around Halling Components including for Blackpool Streamliners, (intended mainly for the recent resin kits, but should be able to fit the corgi castings)

There's really only one possible solution: Halling.

Not necessarily (see above) I don't think there is anything in the Halling range that is a direct fit to the Corgi Castings ... derisive.gif

Oh wait, Corgi! I was confused with the Atlas Editions models :sorry:

We are (I think) talking about one of the Atlas Series... ;)

The £1.99 for the first model is typical of them, just don't know which model is first in this latest run...

It is indeed the Atlas Series - the one I have being the Feltham Tram (UCC) 1931.

I haven't had a good look at it yet to see where any obvious show stoppers would be but from a quick glance the internal detail, in particular the stairs seems to preclude much in the way of a vertical mounted motor/bogie without having to loose some of that structure to clearance.

Being used to 00 gauge locos the bogie has tiny wheels much smaller than say a modern electric loco bogie.

Meanwhile I will review the suggestions above - many thanks.

As I have a Corgi Feltham tucked away in the cupboard, and have been having a few idle thoughts about maybe doing something with the various London tram kits I have, I'd be interested as well in any solutions that are proposed

I have a couple of Felthams running on Halling GT4 bogies (shorter wheelbase than their normal ones) using a central Mabuchi motor (Halling std) connected with surgical silicon tubing, they run very well being 8 wheel drive and pick up, yes that's not quite as per prototype but it works well.

Halling bogies are available as spares direct from Halling at sub £30  a pair. bolsters to fit them are easily and cheaply made and will fit the corgi baseplate etc.

Mine have run full exhibitions with no problems at realistic speeds, I can post a few photos if any help?

I have a couple of Felthams running on Halling GT4 bogies (shorter wheelbase than their normal ones) using a central Mabuchi motor (Halling std) connected with surgical silicon tubing, they run very well being 8 wheel drive and pick up, yes that's not quite as per prototype but it works well.

Halling bogies are available as spares direct from Halling at sub £30  a pair. bolsters to fit them are easily and cheaply made and will fit the corgi baseplate etc.

Mine have run full exhibitions with no problems at realistic speeds, I can post a few photos if any help?

Thanks for this. Photos would certainly be interesting.

I may not do anything immediately but I'm getting tempted to start a new project, and a very small London tram layout is a strong contender if I do. Motorising the Cogi Feltham in the cupboard would be a good start...

My ongoing "Amfleet Bogies" topic is intended to produce motorized trucks for my own personal dozen or so E1's as one of the many palanned shorter wheelbase end versions. Sadly, being just the one of me, with lots of things going on, like soon introducing RTR tram track for example, I can only produce stuff at a relatively slow rate. But I will definitely be making these for myself regardless. Hopefully in the Autumn.

Andy

AFAIK, and I'm a newcomer to tramway modelling, the Atlas Editions models are just reruns of the Corgi OOC original models. I have 2 of the Corgi OOC Felthams, one is the final Production model in which I used the BEC "MEFEL" kit, and the other is the experimental centre entrance "Cissie" in which I used the BEC "MECIS" kit. I found both easy to convert.

Archived