Favorite Class 37 Hauled Train

scottishlocos

All

Just a bit of fun what are your favorite 37 hauled trains passenger and freight 1 rule though

They must be trains which you have actualy seen in in the flesh feel free to post pics if you have them too

Mine are both Scottish services as you would expect,

The Royal Scotsman it is etched in my memory seeing 37428 when repainted into the Maroon livery being sent off by a piper

The freight train is the Hartlepool to Georgemass pipe train what a glorious racket and those big yellow pipes just look good

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Got to be Waterston - Albion tanks late 60s early 70s

A pair on 1500 tons - 15 x 100 ton gulf tankers

Slowed to a crawl through Worceter Shrub Hill then all hell would break loose...

Happy memories

Phil

• Like 3

The Deltic Silver Jubilee railtour, 1986. Double headed 37's 37 052 and I can't remember the other one. Departed St Pancras, went to the Midland Railway centre where the 37's were swapped for Tulyar  at Ironville. 37's then back on and we went to Malton where we detrained to open topped double decker buses to get to Pickering. Seemed like a good idea to go on the top deck for a good view, until you realised that 50mph and low trees was not quite as amenable as a leisurely sight seeing tour, the charming Rail Riders girls bravely hanging on near the front. Double headed Deltics to Grosmont and back. Then everyone squashed in to the lower decks of the buses having rapidly learnt from experience.  Back on to the 37's where the driver tried unsuccessfully to break a coupling pulling out of Malton.Then thrash all the way down the ECML to Kings Cross, the 37's  topping 100mph as we raced through the dark.

A day I will never forget!!!

• Like 2

Sadly mostly freight

Single Class 37 northbound departing Aviemore, very early in the morning

Pair of Class 37 departing Paisley with Hunterston - Ravenscraig Iron Ore, due to signal stop (as the train wouldn't normally stop)
and then following on from that
with one additional Class 37 on any southbound Mossend - Ravenscraig Iron Ore or coal train

• Like 2

The Fenman, roaring as it pulls out of King's Lynn bound for Liverpool Street with eight Mk2s and a Mk1 RMB, all in InterCity blue/grey.

Or, for a specific loco, 37417, Richard Trevithick (now, alas, cut up), in EWS guise after hauling the Caledonian Sleeper stock into Edinburgh ready for its departure to Euston, the cab lights on and sending light through the gloom of Waverley station, the engines rumbling as they gently turned over.

Paul

My favourite memories are:

1, Travelling the Oban and Mallaig lines around 1980.

37033 at Cranlarich.

post-506-0-72232300-1430503743_thumb.jpg

2, Chasing 37s along the North Wales coast.

37421 at Chester locks.

post-506-0-34219800-1430503905_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Sadly mostly freight

Single Class 37 northbound departing Aviemore, very early in the morning

Pair of Class 37 departing Paisley with Hunterston - Ravenscraig Iron Ore, due to signal stop (as the train wouldn't normally stop)

and then following on from that

with one additional Class 37 on any southbound Mossend - Ravenscraig Iron Ore or coal train

Nice

My family are from Lanarkshire but we moved and i was still young i can remember seeing Ravenscraig and a trip to Motherwell TMD when i was younger there was blue and redstripe class 37's and a breakdown train wish i had seen one of these trains seen a few vids of them amazing noise

Dave

• Like 1

At that time (late 1980s) it was quite difficult to get to Mossend, by public transport (as a teenager)

There were just two trains a day through Mossend, known as the ghost trains, but in order to see freight it was easier to visit!

There wasn't much freight at weekends, so any visits I made were on weekdays
The non-sub-Class 373XX fleet had just been created, so was a mix of BR Blue, Large Logo Blue and Triple Grey (I don't remember there being any Red Stripe Railfreight on the Metals traffic)

The Deltic Silver Jubilee railtour, 1986. Double headed 37's 37 052 and I can't remember the other one. Departed St Pancras, went to the Midland Railway centre where the 37's were swapped for Tulyar  at Ironville. 37's then back on and we went to Malton where we detrained to open topped double decker buses to get to Pickering. Seemed like a good idea to go on the top deck for a good view, until you realised that 50mph and low trees was not quite as amenable as a leisurely sight seeing tour, the charming Rail Riders girls bravely hanging on near the front. Double headed Deltics to Grosmont and back. Then everyone squashed in to the lower decks of the buses having rapidly learnt from experience.  Back on to the 37's where the driver tried unsuccessfully to break a coupling pulling out of Malton.Then thrash all the way down the ECML to Kings Cross, the 37's  topping 100mph as we raced through the dark.

A day I will never forget!!!

I did that from York to Malton having made a donation to the DPS for the pleasure.

post-12740-0-41620300-1430509354.jpg

Also remember waving the buses off at Malton then did a Peak back to York.

Happy days..

• Like 4

My best thrash was from 6V24 past Saltley box for the climb up to St Andrews and round the curve to Didcot with close on 2,000 tons of coal, even the signalmen looked out of the windows of the panel to enjoy the moment. Birmingham had a nice early morning wake up call at about 03:00! You can see from my notes the weights involved. This was in 1988.

post-6766-0-93834700-1430510617_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 5

The Fenman, roaring as it pulls out of King's Lynn bound for Liverpool Street with eight Mk2s and a Mk1 RMB, all in InterCity blue/grey.

Or, for a specific loco, 37417, Richard Trevithick (now, alas, cut up), in EWS guise after hauling the Caledonian Sleeper stock into Edinburgh ready for its departure to Euston, the cab lights on and sending light through the gloom of Waverley station, the engines rumbling as they gently turned over.

Paul

Agreed, though I would plump for any of D6700-29 (D6704 in particular, I have an ohl plate from it), plain green (no yellow panels), headcode 1-84, on 9 x Mk1 in maroon, with an RMB in the centre. 58 mins from Cambridge to Liverpool Street. (Today's 379 did it in 69 mins on a fast service!).

Stewart

Agreed, though I would plump for any of D6700-29 (D6704 in particular, I have an ohl plate from it), plain green (no yellow panels), headcode 1-84, on 9 x Mk1 in maroon, with an RMB in the centre. 58 mins from Cambridge to Liverpool Street. (Today's 379 did it in 69 mins on a fast service!).

Stewart

Very nice. Plain green really suited them.

Paul

Easy! Last days on the Cardiff-Rhymneys.

1. Driver gets tip, releases brakes and wangs power handle to max where it stays until almost at platform end of next station.

2. Repeat, Enjoy max thrash.

Wonderful.....

My other favourite was while I was signalman at Basford Hall Jc in the late '80s. Can't remember the actual reporting number but there was a stone train Peak Forest to Bletchley that came through Basford Hall yard around lunchtime. Watching and listening to a pair of 37s trying to get out on to the up slow and attack Madeley bank with about 1500 tons on was magical. Happy days.....

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 3

During the 80s, the 1018 (SO) Scarborough - Newcastle during the summer holidays. Nearly always a Class 37.

I remember also getting 37191 'International Youth Year 1985' resplendent in Large Logo livery from Scarborough to York on a Sca - Glasgow Queen St service.

The other Class 37 on the Deltic Silver Jubilee was 37001.

Edited by WhiteRoseRambler

During the 80s, the 1018 (SO) Scarborough - Newcastle during the summer holidays. Nearly always a Class 37.

I remember also getting 37191 'International Youth Year 1985' resplendent in Large Logo livery from Scarborough to York on a Sca - Glasgow Queen St service.

The other Class 37 on the Deltic Silver Jubilee was 37001.

Think I'd agree with that as my favourite 'English' regular train, especially when the loco and stock came empty from Botanic Gardens and a visit on Friday evening sometimes led to able to select which of the 37s stabled or expected would work the train. 37003 when service was extended to GQSt was very enjoyable.

In Scotland always loved the Far North, first one out of Inverness and last one back in particular.

When the loaded trains came through Cardiff the whole station shook,

Yes, although on many occasions when I saw the loaded trains they were coasting towards a red signal at the east end of the station. There were fireworks when they gained the right away, but the gradient is somewhat downhill towards the bridge over which the Queen Street line crosses.

For more sustained thrash, the climb up from Barry towards Rhoose from the vantage point of Porthkerry Park was a far better place to see the pairs of 37s on Aberthaw MGR trains. The line is 10 metres (33ft) above sea level as it rounds the curve near The Knap, but reaches 60 metres (200ft) height by Porthkerry Church in a distance of about a mile and a half (sorry I don't have the gradient profile). 

The SWML triple-headers. Spent one decent length session at Newport age 12 and experienced several of these incredible ensembles. Cleared the allocation in a single sitting.

Freight, it's got to be the afternoon Speedlink from St.Blazey to Gloucester in the late 80s, usually double-headed, with a real mix of wagon types.

Passenger, the Summer Saturday Bristol to Weymouth. Nothing quite like that climb out of Weymouth on the return jouney with six Mk2s.

• Like 1