Shunting signals

I am trying to work out what signals I need for my small desk layout, and it is becoming very apparent that what I will need is some shunting signals. For the main signals on the layout I am planning on using colour light signals, Can anyone suggest OO, or better still HO scale shunting signals, or even a guide to how they would be set on the prototype?

Thanks

Julia

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to work out what signals I need for my small desk layout, and it is becoming very apparent that what I will need is some shunting signals. For the main signals on the layout I am planning on using colour light signals, Can anyone suggest OO, or better still HO scale shunting signals, or even a guide to how they would be set on the prototype?

Hi Julia

While you've already had good advice on supply, the siting on the layout can be a little complicated. There are some very knowledgeable people (not meaning me!) on here who will be pleased to help in that direction. They will be most productive if you could produce a little sketch of your layout, together with a couple of notes of what each line does, and what sort of movements you envisage making. Only one potential problem - you mention HO, so is the model an overseas prototype? That may reduce the level of expertise a little!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Julia

I noticed you also posted a question about track so is the signalling for a continental narrow gauge layout? If so knowing which country it is set in will be an enormous help....... (and might not mean that you have to be liberal with such signals ;) )

I noticed you also posted a question about track so is the signalling for a continental narrow gauge layout? If so knowing which country it is set in will be an enormous help....... (and might not mean that you have to be liberal with such signals ;) )

Ah, I have two layouts on the go at once (cos life ain't hard enough as it is :P ). One is a HOe continental narrow gauge layout.

The other, is UK image, but probably HO, rather than OO. Just to confuse things completely.

J

• RMweb Gold

Shunt signals at simple stations were often hand signals from the signalman using red and green flags. Often the train would be stopped at the signal box. Instructions given and then the green flag waved. At busier stations shunt signals are more common. One example is that there may be a need to shunt on the main up to the outer home. On single lines the starter and advance starter may be locked by the block instruments so a shunt signal would be used. ( Note the limit of shunt is normally 440 yards before the outer home). On double track the shunt signal authorises wrong direction movements again up to the outer home.

The signals can either be mounted on posts usually with other signals, or ground signals.

You first have to identify the normal moves and plan signals for them then you can identify shunt moves which need additional signals. In real life these often grew up over the years. The initial signalling at many stations was basic and often only improved at the Board of Trade's insistance.

Donw

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I have two layouts on the go at once (cos life ain't hard enough as it is :P ). One is a HOe continental narrow gauge layout.

The other, is UK image, but probably HO, rather than OO. Just to confuse things completely.

J

Cor - busy girl :D Right then Julia pop up a layout plan and we'll give you some hints - note on the era and company/BR Region would also be most helpful.

Archived