Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, joseph benjamin said:

Can anyone identify the wagon of the extreme left above the ballast wagon, sorry it's a poor copy of the photo on page 179 of Through Limestone Hills1224391369_PeakForeststation001-Copy-Copy.jpg.ff6e89637843601080541c25b4d8258f.jpg

Is it a rail vehicle? There's a chap kneeling down doing something to a wheel and to his right it looks like some sort of framework. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've enlarged* the picture and it appears to be a Track Replacement Unit. Some of these were based on bogie well wagons with built up decks with cranes over the bogies.

*To enlarge the pic, click on it and with the cursor on the pic right click and then click on 'show in new tab' the picture remains the same but the cursor is replaced by the enlarge symbol. Move that to the part you want to enlarge and click.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looks like it's been modified from a Bobol that's been modified from a Warwell.

Indeed so, I found a photograph of a very similar machine on a Bobol modified from a Warwell but as it was in a book I can't reproduce it here.

The track relayer looks to be one of a batch of three built for the LMR on former Warwells in 1951. They were originally numbered TRM1-3 (DB965401-3) and later, under CEPS, DRB78004-6. Nice to see one lurking in the background of a photograph, although, to be fair that's where most of them appear as not many people took a picture of them.

Hywel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The German text on the end of that thing says "shunt with care", unsurprisingly.

Do you think this from Paul Bartlett is a candidate for the original photo? DR78011 / TRU5 / DS70001:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/h2F06CF84#h111a20aa

Edited by eastwestdivide
numbers
  • Like 1

Paul's picture is the same design but built six years later for the SR rather than the LMR example in the initial photo. DRB78009-11 (TRU3-5) were built 1951/4/7 respectively. As with many of the TRUs they carried several numbers (often at the same time!), in this case DS84; DS87 and DS70001 respectively. Again all were former WD Warwells and they all worked with compressor wagons on various designs of underframes.

Hywel

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are right, it's a track layer, thank you. I've looked in all my books and found one photo of a painting by Terence Cuneo "Track laying by night" anybody any ideas where I might find a good side on photo or drawing? I guess locomotives were more interesting than wagons.

• RMweb Premium

This old film came up on my YouTube feed the other day showing a different twin-jib design with covered central 'cab'. Couldn't quite see the number of the unit but it's coupled to PWM 650.

Screenshot_20210502-131405_YouTube.jpg.0f842d6eb505280c6d00dd95713df7a8.jpgScreenshot_20210502-131521_YouTube.jpg.fe89c84b783c4844adeabcf3a14892b4.jpg

• Like 5

To quote Wagon Paul again  "A very interesting train, the second wagon has what appears to be a Hartman Insulated meat container from Yarmouth Vauxhall and the third is a unique experiment of putting a contemporary German style van body on a the frame from a BR Tube."

8F 48415 Cardiff General September 1964 

8F 48415 through Cardiff General on eastbound freight September 1964 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

• Like 10

I'm using my copy of Standard Railway Wagon Co. Heywood Works by David W Tandy as a reference for some of these wagons...

Cricklewood 1989

I think this is REDA 28100 PTA built as a prototype 

po-28100-srw-PTA-Cricklewood-1989-04

PTA THOM 28000-28004 for Thompson Quarries

po-28010-bbc-PTA-Cricklewood-1989-04

Caption says it is a PXA??

po-93100-f-PXA-Cricklewood-1989-04

PXA??  Piggyback wagon

po-96500-tiph-PXA-Cricklewood-1989-04

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, keefer said:

Never realised the Thompsons wagons were side-tippers like that!

Not one of the Thompson’s but a Booth Ferry Borough Council one BBC28009-12. Used for minestone from Hatfield Colliry to Google for land recovery for industrial use!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2021 at 19:00, montyburns56 said:

To quote Wagon Paul again  "A very interesting train, the second wagon has what appears to be a Hartman Insulated meat container from Yarmouth Vauxhall and the third is a unique experiment of putting a contemporary German style van body on a the frame from a BR Tube."

8F 48415 Cardiff General September 1964 

8F 48415 through Cardiff General on eastbound freight September 1964 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

Note the red socked spotter on the barrow on platform 2.  It isn’t me; I never had a haircut like that.  

• Like 2