Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Something to do with your unwanted VCA, cut the roof off and throw away the doors!

I didn't realise they were VCAs, do any VCAs still exist now? They used to be used as stores vans as ZRAs I seem to recall 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, russ p said:

I didn't realise they were VCAs, do any VCAs still exist now? They used to be used as stores vans as ZRAs I seem to recall 

The ZRAs became redundant almost as soon as Unipart took over spares distribution. Some had the bodies removed completely, and became coal container carriers (FPA). Others lost roofs and sides to become block carriers. There may be some left in the engineers' fleet, but there haven't been any in revenue traffic for a very long time. I think the last revenue work was tinplate from Trostre to various Metal Box sites.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Odd only in terms of livery, but I've not seen this before. The caption says that they  worked between Hem Heath Colliery and Barlaston Power Station, but on the wagon it says they work between Florence Colliery and Meaford??? Power station.

CEGB coal wagon JS10108

• Like 7

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Odd only in terms of livery, but I've not seen this before. The caption says that they  worked between Hem Heath Colliery and Barlaston Power Station, but on the wagon it says they work between Florence Colliery and Meaford??? Power station.

CEGB coal wagon JS10108

These were originally built for the West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority for traffic to Ironbridge in the 1930's, they remained as PO wagons and were used in the Stoke on Trent area to Meaford till the late 1970's. These were then used at Meaford as Internal Users till the mid 80's.

In effect they are the RCH all steel 20 ton mineral without doors! The model from Dapol/Airfix/Hornby is only suitable for the first 17 as these had side and end doors; as such were pooled in 1939 but all others remained as non Pool wagons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

These were originally built for the West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority for traffic to Ironbridge in the 1930's, they remained as PO wagons and were used in the Stoke on Trent area to Meaford till the late 1970's. These were then used at Meaford as Internal Users till the mid 80's.

In effect they are the RCH all steel 20 ton mineral without doors! The model from Dapol/Airfix/Hornby is only suitable for the first 17 as these had side and end doors; as such were pooled in 1939 but all others remained as non Pool wagons.

Florence Colliery was on a branch from Hem's Heath; my wife's uncle (and god father), Stan Collis was a driver there.

Meaford Power Station is at Barlaston

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Riddle me this....what looks like a HAA , but is actually a PGA?

For those that don’t know, hoppers for the Mountfield (Sussex, on the narrow Hastings line) to Northfleet APCM/BlueCircle flow of gypsum for cement making. That flow invariably hauled by a 33/2. 
Think they escaped elsewhere at one point. 
Photo of the train here (scroll a bit):

And here:

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

These these aren't that odd as they were KAA wagons, but the trailers definitely are. Apparently they were built for a Blue Circle flow from Westbury to Southampton in the early 2000s.

47829 Hargate

47270 Arn Hill-Warminster. 47843 on the cement

7305T. MILLBROOK. 16.06.03. 47279 WESTBURY TO MILLBROOK BLUE CIRCLE CEMENT_filtered SMI-22-L5-037

This one is interesting as the last three wagons seem to have something different on them.

66601 Beighton 19 May 03

• Like 8

It was one of the experiments supported by the Strategic Rail Authority to draw new flows on to rail. Another, at about the same time, was the lineside loading of timber on to short rakes of OTAs, sandwiched between two MTV 'tractor units', whilst a third moved containers in the same manner. None was a great success

The vehicles towards the end of the train in the last photo were curtain-sided trailers with sloping sides.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

How about these Palvans?

23 ½ T Palvan Airbrake vacuum pipe Tare 12T--- Des. Code PV003A Gloucester RCW 1968] @ Luton 79-10-14

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modavan/h87E17A18#h87e17a18

Thanks to Paul Bartlett for a rare picture of any of them. I learnt about these while looking at Ludgershall on the M&SWJR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I remember those Cobra containers at Derwenthaugh; some went to traffic from Boulby after Derwenthaugh closed.

The Derwenthaugh traffic was coke to Wakefield for the local hospital and was carried on FEW’s . 
The  Boulby traffic was salt to Middlesbrough Goods plus at one stage a small fleet of PFA’s as in the one at the top using former tank chassis!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I remember those Cobra containers at Derwenthaugh; some went to traffic from Boulby after Derwenthaugh closed.

I've managed to find a picture of a different style of container on a bogie wagon at Derwenthaugh.

Derwenthaugh Cobra coal containers   Jan 84 C6346

And a train of them at York.

40038. Southbound loaded (Cobra) coal train at Holgate Sidings(York) 180680

Normanton

46038 Normanton

• Like 11