Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

12 hours ago, russ p said:

Is that what those ones with buckeyes that were in the west end were for?

I never saw any of the ones for Consett but there was the pair of ex South Wales ones that lived at Ferryhill for use with the Ravenscraig tipplers in the dolofines movement. These were there long enough to receive  metal sector livery!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I never saw any of the ones for Consett but there was the pair of ex South Wales ones that lived at Ferryhill for use with the Ravenscraig tipplers in the dolofines movement. These were there long enough to receive  metal sector livery!

I'm now starting to wonder if they were the ones , I'm sure I remember a pair in the old tranship yard

• Like 2

On 27/06/2021 at 19:33, montyburns56 said:

Not odd in itself, but according to Paul Bartlett's site they were owned by Procor hence the markings, used as Match wagons and coded as PXQ.

po-04919-pr-PXQ-Westbury-1988-04

Hi Monty,

Here are some similar conversions of ex LMS vans for use as coupling conversion wagons for the Merseyrail 507's:

Gibbo.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

I can offer this photo of HEA 361798 at the RTC in Derby on 11 Aug 1983 with experimental modified suspension.

741070436_831427-HEA361798RTC11Aug1983.JPG.773335e02f1ae0a3f2d34deaaeeb3046.JPG

Not a mod’ but one of the experimental suspension HBA’s there was also English Steel Pedestal and Gloucester Pedestal ones produced! This one was used in aggregate traffic with PGA’s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Machynlleth Depot 1980s

Machynlleth

25_xxx_Machynlleth_09_04_86

Hi Monty,

I wonder if those frames were originally broad gauge and converted to standard gauge before havng tanks mounted upon them ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

I wonder if those frames were originally broad gauge and converted to standard gauge before havng tanks mounted upon them ?

Gibbo.

Standard gauge former tender frames perhaps?

• Like 1

Poor Old Bruce has already got the correct answer, they are LNWR tenders.

Look at this model on the London Road website,

http://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LOCO19SDc.jpg

Here's the one that's in Milton Keynes. Now moved elsewhere in the town.

spacer.png

Photo Martin Addison

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here's the data for the two other survivors. For some reason they haven't got details of the Milton Keynes one.

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=450

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=405

And the C&HP one which had a square tank.

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=248

Jason

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I've previously highlighted the pocket wagons that carried Blue Circle HGV trailers, but apparently they also carried Milk tankers!

These are different wagons, originally used for Pedigree petfoord traffic from Melton Mowbray. DRS used some for a month-long milk trial but only one was loaded. Charterail

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Poor Old Bruce has already got the correct answer, they are LNWR tenders.

Look at this model on the London Road website,

http://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LOCO19SDc.jpg

Here's the one that's in Milton Keynes. Now moved elsewhere in the town.

spacer.png

Photo Martin Addison

Jason

We got some really funny looks from the commuters while we were putting the track in for that, and a couple of trays of beer cans from the mayor of Milton Keynes. I think what the track was going to be for was a secret so we were not allowed to explain why we were laying track in the middle of the station square.

The nearest place we could have the ballast delivered to was an empty site over by the nearby Indian restaurant. I had hired in a 4 ton dumper with road use insurance as not having a railway proficiency card for a dumper I would not have been covered by BR's internal insurance arrangements.  I then spent about three days happily driving the dumper around the station area, before what I was up to was spotted, and a driver with the appropriate competency card was sent out to do the driving for me.  However as this man did not hold a normal driving licence, allowing him to drive the dumper on the road would have been just as wrong as me doing it but for different reasons. (This sort of madness happened all the time back in BR days.) Fortunately I had just collected the last of the ballast we needed when he arrived, so I simply had him drive the dumper ten feet onto a sheet of ply protecting the paving slabs and park it up. Before sending him back to his supervisor at Watford.

• Like 7