Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

RBX, B889002, Ex ferry van Temple Mills 1982 by Jamerail

B889002 RBX [TM 1-027(HR)]

Ferry CCT, I was on the dart valley in 2019 and they have one possibly two of those which were adapted as match vehicles to couple to the original 150s and 151s with the two pipe air brake 

Some bloke was telling this couple who were looking at it ,it at been altered so a German steam loco could couple to a British one!!! 

After the couple went I said to him that wasn't the case and he was right  and wouldn't listen 

When I said blue in the first sentence I was going  to say idiot......

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not sure if I can reproduce the pic here but DE600807 is a very strange beast (one of Pauls pics).

I;m not sure why this has been mentioned but definately "odd" unlike most of the wagons featured here. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerdepartmentalcoach/e2c83b440

An amazing apparition in 1978 and no sign it survived. 

Paul

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I;m not sure why this has been mentioned but definately "odd" unlike most of the wagons featured here. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerdepartmentalcoach/e2c83b440

An amazing apparition in 1978 and no sign it survived. 

Paul

Thats the one, pity that there's no pics of the other side to confirm that the veranda was indeed at the side of the cabin. I wonder what the frame was from, its quite heavily built, a brake van perhaps? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, russ p said:

Ferry CCT, I was on the dart valley in 2019 and they have one possibly two of those which were adapted as match vehicles to couple to the original 150s and 151s with the two pipe air brake 

Some bloke was telling this couple who were looking at it ,it at been altered so a German steam loco could couple to a British one!!! 

After the couple went I said to him that wasn't the case and he was right  and wouldn't listen 

When I said blue in the first sentence I was going  to say idiot......

There was a pair converted to allow a 155 to go to a trade fair in Germany accompanied by the Brush built class 89.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2021 at 18:20, Mark Saunders said:

It did not fail it was the company that was formed that did but government stupidity did not allow a way forward to keep the traffic on rail and as such went to road!

However take note just how low in height the road trailer had to be to fit within the rail loading gauge!

THAT fact (ie.e the need for bespoke road trailers which have less load space than ordinary road ones) is what kills the piggyback concept stone dead in the UK

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

However take note just how low in height the road trailer had to be to fit within the rail loading gauge!

THAT fact (ie.e the need for bespoke road trailers which have less load space than ordinary road ones) is what kills the piggyback concept stone dead in the UK

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

This was nothing to do with the Pedigree traffic on rail!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

DE320854, jib runner for Crane No. DRF81313, seen at the RTC in Derby in 1984, an ex Coaching Stock Underframe.

769897583_2011-04-20_78-1984.JPG.036028041198af6886b2fcd0e566dfb8.JPG

Actually coupled to 10 Ton crane 81312, CCE Eastern Region, on a bogie underframe.

2010571035_2011-04-20_77-1984.JPG.d90826e5fd5d46aecf2f7a9279e035ac.JPG

8 minutes ago, billbedford said:

It think this was originally a mobile milk tank wagon d.296

I was wondering about the small wheels, unusual for coaching stock.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a model from the '60s/70s - when manufacturers used whatever parts were available in their range to make something not entirely realistic but 'near enough' to put in a train set :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, keefer said:

Looks like a model from the '60s/70s - when manufacturers used whatever parts were available in their range to make something not entirely realistic but 'near enough' to put in a train set :)

You know I was just looking for pictures of the Lima crane model as it looks as if this is what inspired it!

• Like 2