Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

53 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

You know I was just looking for pictures of the Lima crane model as it looks as if this is what inspired it!

Hi Monty,

I think you find it is this nearly started model, despite the different jib runner.

DSCF0904.JPG.a0795f7ecb156bbf9f0dd0390aa9572b.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Platform 5's Departmental Coaching Stock ( 1985 ) lists it as "Converted 1960   Formerly NER BZ  E2164E.  Built 1919 to dia 171.

I knew there weren't very many six-wheelers with steel underframes, buy I'd forgotten about the NER vans. 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Wagons waiting for scrapping at Tunnel Cement at West Thurrock 1977 by Kevin Lane

Awaiting the scrapman

As I remember it, the photograph would not look much different if it was in colour.

• Funny 5

Yes a ferry van, but what is it?

The photo shows the strange and interesting transition period of the later 1970s, lots of newly rebodied vacuum braked hoppers. The main train has a good number of the ex Whisky grain vans - continuing in that use and then one of the first of the large bogie ferry vans registered in Germany - perhaps two types. The train also has a Siphon - perhaps an Enparts one?? And is the third wagon - the open - one with a roll top? With the vacuum brake at the front and airbraked vans at the back an interesting mix for the operators But plenty of BR standard vans still around. 

This yard has been relaid in recent years in preparation for the main yards in York to be ripped up for a redevelopment. 

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Is that a Ferry van at the front?

York 1978 by KDH Archive

78 377 210978 York Yard North 47312

36 minutes ago, jonhall said:

I think you are looking at an Interfrigo, in the silver livery shown here but with the lower side either cleaned or repainted.  

Jon

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

Indeed it is but in a special livery. White lower half and pale grey upper half separated by a red band.

23 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The Siphon appears to have most of the slatted uppers plated over. Could it be a Newspaper van conversion?

Quite a few found gainful employment as Enparts vans and Seat Trimming Material vans after their careers as Parcel and Newspaper Vans had finished; I suspect the one in the photo is one of these, as it seems to be painted in Depatmental Olive Green. It's one of the final, BR-built ones, as it has ventilators on the lower sides

• Like 1

I photographed Siphon Gs still in newspaper traffic at Cardiff in November 1977. One thing I did notice, apart from the retention of gangways, they were air braked. This might have made them more useful for departmental serice later.

I don't think you can really say for sure what colour it is in that photo though; dirty blue, dirty olive...just plain dirty?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

I photographed Siphon Gs still in newspaper traffic at Cardiff in November 1977. One thing I did notice, apart from the retention of gangways, they were air braked. This might have made them more useful for departmental serice later.

I don't think you can really say for sure what colour it is in that photo though; dirty blue, dirty olive...just plain dirty?

They also had ETH jumpers in their latter days.

• Informative/Useful 1