Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2021 at 22:01, jonhall said:

I think you are looking at an Interfrigo, in the silver livery shown here but with the lower side either cleaned or repainted.  

Jon

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

I like the Invacars weighted down with sandbags beneath the strops on the Conflat? Wagons.

Or perhaps the sandbags were to prevent the strops from cutting/damaging the fibreglass bodies, or both.

Easy to model with Oxford Diecast’s forthcoming Invacar.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, doilum said:

Looks like a custom made cushion. Possibly a pair of the large 2cwt grain sacks stuffed with horse hair or similar.

AKA 'Dunnage' BR would have used loads of this sort of stuff, and we as modellers are not always good at representing it.

jon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I like the Invacars weighted down with sandbags beneath the strops on the Conflat? Wagons.

Or perhaps the sandbags were to prevent the strops from cutting/damaging the fibreglass bodies, or both.

Easy to model with Oxford Diecast’s forthcoming Invacar.

Cheers

Darius

Just plain sacking by the looks of it. By enlarging the photo I was able to make out similar packing behind the 'cab' of the Invacar with two thin ropes securing it to the wagon, the front one going to the rear and the rear one to the front.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Conflat? Wagons.

They are Lowfits, likely BR produced types as they appear to have Steel sides instead of Wooden ones.

There is quite a bit of lettering on the side of which some will be informing people "Not to be loaded with Containers".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A wagon that tells a story:

834566485_DS55951BasingstokeIcamewiththeengines.jpg.36e24095616e115295d2f714713acabd.jpg

":) I came with the engines to Basingstoke Railshow"

549070070_DS55951Basingstokebuttheyallwenthomewithoutme.jpg.209f9df36f2a340fb52cbffae59f69d7.jpg

":( But they all went home without me"

Which dates it to late 1987 I think.

DS55951

Edited by eastwestdivide
added number
  • Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2022 at 19:22, montyburns56 said:

Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury 1985 by Jamrail

DBR7-128

Interesting, The photo of the interior part filled with coal is lovely, shows it had a proper local use and didn't just sit around - just as Paul Grunfos suggests. 

It is included on Departmentals.com https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/023657 with some controversy over its original number but both agree LNER diag 15. Still exists http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=11285

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1