Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

On 06/06/2021 at 20:13, Wickham Green too said:

I think the 'S' number might be a clue as to its origin - and resemblance to a certain recent Hornby product.

S4606S was the final Scenery van turned out by Lancing in 1949 and lasted a further five years in traffic before entering internal use ( where ? ) in Feb.'81. Somehow became British Steel property and was donated to the Gwili Railway in 1993 ...... they didn't know what to do with it and couldn't find anyone to offload it to so the metal bits returned to the steel industry in 2012.

I saw it in a sad state at the Gwili Railway and was told it was soon to be scrapped, HOWEVER I believe I saw it at Buckfastleigh under repair a couple of years later. Can anyone confirm this?

Tony

• Like 2

On 16/07/2021 at 19:28, montyburns56 said:

Stores van QRV ADM40254, ex LMS designed 6 wheel fish van4, Crewe Works Open Day 1981 by Jamerail

A681D-007

Does anyone know when these Fish vans were converted for stores use?  Would it be as early as 1958 by any chance? (I know someone who needs stores vans on his layout..........)  Tony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

I saw it in a sad state at the Gwili Railway and was told it was soon to be scrapped, HOWEVER I believe I saw it at Buckfastleigh under repair a couple of years later. Can anyone confirm this?

My information on 4606 came from the Carriage Survey ( http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2648 )  -  which gives no clues to this, or anything similar, at Buckfastleigh.

• Like 2

On 06/08/2021 at 18:01, Rail-Online said:

Does anyone know when these Fish vans were converted for stores use?  Would it be as early as 1958 by any chance? (I know someone who needs stores vans on his layout..........)  Tony

I think these vans may have gone over to Stores use in the early 1960s. Trying to remember what was in use at Derby Loco Works when I started there in 1961 (60 years ago come the end of this month) there were some older 6-wheel Milk/Fruit/Fish vans in faded red livery, either Gulf red or faded Maroon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

I think these vans may have gone over to Stores use in the early 1960s. Trying to remember what was in use at Derby Loco Works when I started there in 1961 (60 years ago come the end of this month) there were some older 6-wheel Milk/Fruit/Fish vans in faded red livery, either Gulf red or faded Maroon.

Thanks.  Could these 1961 memories could possibly have been of ex LNWR vehicles of the 'Combination Truck' variety with louvered sides, a high hipped roof and end doors?

Tony

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

there were some older 6-wheel Milk/Fruit/Fish vans in faded red livery, either Gulf red or faded Maroon.

There's at least one D1872 LMS CCT which was in departmental service at Derby and now exists in preservation.

• Like 1

This is from an old 'Railway Bylines' annual, apologies if I am infringing copyright and I will remove the photo if asked.

It shows side-tipping wagons of the classic 'MSC' type still in use in the mid-1950s. They appear to have been fitted with more conventional buffers rather than just relying on the ends of the solebars. I assume these were only used within the area of the tip but would love to hear from anyone with more info on their usage!

Note also the runner wagon in the foreground.

Mol

Statham+wagons.jpg

• Like 3

On 09/08/2021 at 19:10, montyburns56 said:

Enlighten me...

Woodburn 1963

6960 Woodburn 09-11-63 (FW Hampson)993

Is it a grain hopper?

Obviously not. That will teach me not to scroll to quickly to the last post

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

The first one's at the Junction, as it says ..... a good few miles from Limerick.

These are, of course the rebuilt cement wagons - they originally has peculiar two-part folding sides with an ingenious winding mechanism on the ends.

Note the 'double-deck' wagons in the background : Beet Wagons converted from Mr.Bulleid's open wagons by sticking a second body on top ( less floor ).

The hoppers were for ballast, dolomite or gypsum - apart from the number series I don't know what the differences were.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1