Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

The PXV survivor was a great find at Sheerness https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icipxv  All measured, they had a very peculiar brake rigging for a 4 wheel wagon. 

These worked from Runcorn to Willesden and had an A type container in the centre for gas cylinders etc and the open area for other goods. I remember them well at both ends of their journey but never photographed them!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

The PXV survivor was a great find at Sheerness https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icipxv  All measured, they had a very peculiar brake rigging for a 4 wheel wagon. 

These worked from Runcorn to Willesden and had an A type container in the centre for gas cylinders etc and the open area for other goods. I remember them well at both ends of their journey but never photographed them!

Paul

Did anyone ever photograph the ones that were converted to vans? I understand that three were in internal use at the Willesden terminal for some time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

M&GN tool van number 12.

image.png.b4f30967ae14220ec5e9542ac3d0dbd9.png

image.png.25b0e388a987cd96f2bdb9fe938f4cfa.png

I don't think its real.  There is a chap on the NNR that creates sort of replicas out of different wagons .

Bit of a train set coupled to a TTA which has now been painted in a livery it never carried 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

I don't think its real.  There is a chap on the NNR that creates sort of replicas out of different wagons .

Bit of a train set coupled to a TTA which has now been painted in a livery it never carried 

Rule 1 applied in 12" to the foot scale?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, russ p said:

I don't think its real.  There is a chap on the NNR that creates sort of replicas out of different wagons .....

Depends on your definition of "sort of replica" : - http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8381 ............................................. is that real or isn't it ? - your choice.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Depends on your definition of "sort of replica" : - http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8381 ............................................. is that real or isn't it ? - your choice.

Problem with a lot of preserved railways they still think BR standard wagons are disposable for use in different projects 

Personally I would have preferred them to keep the pipe wagon as restored example and the the van body conserved as as it stands at the moment it's not really anything.  

I bet it rides horribly.  They also cut and shut a tube wagon to go under a 4w coach and surprise surprise it rode terribly and a new chassis is going to be fitted but at the loss of a tube wagon  not exactly loads of them about 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Like a lot of pre-grouping rolling stock running on preserved railways its running on an (often more modern) chassis than the original. And being wooden bodied how much of the original timber survives? 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, russ p said:

Problem with a lot of preserved railways they still think BR standard wagons are disposable for use in different projects 

Personally I would have preferred them to keep the pipe wagon as restored example and the the van body conserved as as it stands at the moment it's not really anything.  

I bet it rides horribly.  They also cut and shut a tube wagon to go under a 4w coach and surprise surprise it rode terribly and a new chassis is going to be fitted but at the loss of a tube wagon  not exactly loads of them about 

Preserved railways tend to get wagons for engineering use and overload them till the chassis fails or get minerals and leave them loaded with spoil till they rot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Used to see a lot of cattle wagons in Romford goods yard in the late 60's early 70's. They were used for delivering empty beer barrels to the brewery (which was still rail connected). They were marked up 'Empty beer barrels only'.

• Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

For empty ones as well as by that time they had gone over to aluminium kegs and the brewery was having problems with metal thieves.

An acquaintance who worked in the police told me that, in the 1970s, there was often an improvised furnace to be found in scrapyards. Its sole purpose was to melt old beer barrels down, and cast them into unidentifiable ingots.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2021 at 20:45, PhilJ W said:

And being wooden bodied how much of the original timber survives? 

More than you might think!

Remember that many of the woods used were Tropical Hardwoods like Teak and Mahogany which are surprisingly resilient to water damage etc.

It also helps that quite a lot of restored pre-grouping stuff spent its later years incorporated into bungalows and suchlike and thus protected from the worst ravages of the weather.

• Like 2