K's Milestones of Transport range

Dear all,

Does anyone know who currenly has the moulds for the K's Milestones of Transport range - specifically the Armstrong class 4-4-0? Or what their plans are?

I believe the moulds were refurbished by IKB models while the range was being marketed by Keykits, but I don't know if the moulds went with the rest if the IKB range to the BG Society (ie did they take more of the ex Milestones than just the BG Rover kit). Any news gratefully received.

drduncan

Edited by drduncan

Dear all,

Does anyone know who currenly has the moulds for the K's Milestones of Transport range - specifically the Armstrong class 4-4-0? Or what their plans are?

I believe the moulds were refurbished by IKB models while the range was being marketed by Keykits, but I don't know if the moulds went with the rest if the IKB range to the BG Society (ie did they take more of the ex Milestones than just the BG Rover kit). Any news gratefully received.

drduncan

Of the ex K's Milestones, BGS only took the BG Rover from IKB.

I can't tell you who has the rest.

If you email me at

4mm_scale@broadgauge.org.uk

I will give you an email address for Kay Butler ( was IKB models) who may be able to tell you more.

Paul Townsend (4mm trade assistant to BGS)

Of the ex K's Milestones, BGS only took the BG Rover from IKB.

I can't tell you who has the rest.

If you email me at

4mm_scale@broadgauge.org.uk

I will give you an email address for Kay Butler ( was IKB models) who may be able to tell you more.

Paul Townsend (4mm trade assistant to BGS)

Thanks

D

• 1 year later...

I never found out what happened to MY mould for the 4mm scale VGA wagon kit that K's made for me in the 1980's. I paid them quite a lot for the plastic mould and it has vanished into the ether. If anyone knows where that is I would be keen to get it back. I still have the original invoice for it from K's.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this topic, but I too am intrigued by where this range might be now. Did it end up with SE Finecast? Or has it simply vanished?

Also, can anyone say what the range contained? I ask as I know of some items, but don't think I know of all of them.

• RMweb Premium

Give Dave at SEF a bell, he'll happily tell you what ranges he picked up in the Nucast purchase... And if the moulds are useable he'll spin them for you!

Andy G

Give Dave at SEF a bell, he'll happily tell you what ranges he picked up in the Nucast purchase... And if the moulds are useable he'll spin them for you!

The only other one he might not have will be the Met "A" 4-4-0T, but you never know. One unbuilt kit went for about £170 on eBay a couple of weeks ago. IKB did do an etched chassis for that one, but that's also disappeared into history - again, a single unbuilt etch on eBay went for £60.

Also, can anyone say what the range contained? I ask as I know of some items, but don't think I know of all of them.

The range was not overly large. This is a list of the ones I remember - 

LNWR 'Problem' class 2-2-2

Metropolitan 4-4-0T

L&M 'Lion' 0-4-2

LSWR Beattie 'Falcon' class 2-4-0

GWR 'Achilles' class 4-2-2

GWR 'Armstrong' class 4-4-0

GWR BG 'Rover' class 4-2-2 

I have built one of the Problems but never been able to get it to run very well. I made the mistake at the time of buying K's separate motorising kit for these models. I have two more of them to build when I find time and hopefully I can make a better job of them next time. The 'Lion' I built when they first came out was more successful but has now been reduced to components for a full rebuild and new motor. I have a second one of these started which will be finished as the 'Thunderbolt'. Also in my to do pile is the 'Falcon' class. This has not progressed beyond cleaning up the castings. One of the 7' driving wheels in that kit came with half of the spokes missing. It must have been visible to whoever placed the parts on the card before the vacuum sealed plastic cover was added.

I did have two each of the three Great Western designs on order from a model shop here in Adelaide at the time they were released. Unfortunately the owner retired and closed up shop before they were delivered. I would still like to have an 'Armstrong' but the last time I saw one on ebay it went for well in excess of £200.

Dave R.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I too was after a 4mm Armstrong class and had one on order when the business I ordered it through (in Australia) suddenly closed up. Luckily I had not paid for it. Still I still want one of them for my GC/GWR Joint line now that I have somewhere to build it.

Are there any 4mm models of the Armstrong 4-4-0 out there?

• 11 months later...

I still live in hope that one of the 3D experts may take an interest in the Armstrong class. A print without the dome or safety valve would be OK as you can still source those items as spares either from the Hornby Lord of the Isles or castings from the likes of Gibson etc. Unfortunately my computing skills are not up to the task. I have tried to learn how to use the various 3D software programs available but since a couple of breakdowns a few years ago I have found it very hard to retain anything new in my noggin.

I do like the various curved framed GWR 4-4-0's. I have two of the K's Duke class to build/rebuild (one to the earlier narrow cab), a curved frame Bulldog that just needs to be re-motored and a dummy Badminton conversion from an old Kitmaster City of Truro with a K's tender drive that I picked up on eBay. Any of these classes in a 3D print would also be welcome.

Dave R.    

• Agree 2

On 18/02/2019 at 06:55, drduncan said:

Perhaps those of us interested in such things should band together to share the commissioning cost?

The Armstrong 4-4-0 is on my to-do list, I think they’re very nice for GWR engines,  it don’t hold your breath. I need to finish some projects first.

But as with everything else, get me a good drawing first...

Edited by garethashenden

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but for any ones interest we have the moulds and patterns for these kits.

We do have castings for some of these and if there is demand would be prepared to produce any of them.

However apart from the Met tank we do not have chassis. Keysers supplied two slabs of brass with holes drilled in them. Not particularly sophisticated.

We can be contacted via our website;  cspmodels.co.uk 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, VespaGS160 said:

I know this is an old thread, but for any ones interest we have the moulds and patterns for these kits.

We do have castings for some of these and if there is demand would be prepared to produce any of them.

However apart from the Met tank we do not have chassis. Keysers supplied two slabs of brass with holes drilled in them. Not particularly sophisticated.

They were nice body kits and reasonably priced but as you say their chassis left a great deal to be desired.  And theose Ks motors were the worst I've  ever come across.  So unfortunately the locos were hardly up to running Light Engine, the Problem class was aptly named!

And I doubt there'd be much of a market for a kit tor Lion even with the big anniversary coming up.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They were nice body kits and reasonably priced but as you say their chassis left a great deal to be desired.  And theose Ks motors were the worst I've  ever come across.  So unfortunately the locos were hardly up to running Light Engine, the Problem class was aptly named!

And I doubt there'd be much of a market for a kit tor Lion even with the big anniversary coming up.

I do. Many kit builders aren't really bothered with RTR and I reckon a heavy kit with modern motors and better wheels than the old K's ones would still be wanted.

Saw one sell the other day for well over £100. So people are still buying them.

One on eBay now for £200, although in Australia

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155341904200?hash=item242b195948:g:AnoAAOSwtp9jtUNL&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwPQVCtTgu9uNHn1auTpcY0TkzyNDtXh54IxM%2F1Dd2AHidEd6PpBbOB5p2DBrkQbaCcTidD4mckBg1fGNUSKXaGFpx0tapQnOb0dFl5YSsPEp%2F2MH4%2FHmTaz8FcsFSUXNH8gZ0zGE7R6mFJF%2B%2FbsRqr5hxPfAz3kTup4rSUmht4iik0jxh5GBH%2Bx%2F7GSIJ2fsDTuMcR81OEMXOkwBDfCMLcrcihqogbP31yASYXAK138jE%2FuRG%2BLmbc4HAQ0f4ClwCw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4rOmdWRYg

£175 at WM Collectables.

http://wmcollectables.co.uk/index.php?pg=gb&cat=1719

Jason

13 hours ago, VespaGS160 said:

To save me hunt back through old catalogues what models do you have moulds for please

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

To save me hunt back through old catalogues what models do you have moulds for please

The list is above. I don't think they made anything other than those. Others such as the MR Spinner were main range.

LNWR 'Problem' class 2-2-2

Metropolitan 4-4-0T

L&M 'Lion' 0-4-2

LSWR Beattie 'Falcon' class 2-4-0

GWR 'Achilles' class 4-2-2

GWR 'Armstrong' class 4-4-0

GWR BG 'Rover' class 4-2-2 

Jason

• Thanks 1

Dear Jason,

I recall discussions (not on RMweb) that the GWR Armstrong class mould was made from the butchered patterns of the Achilles single - and that the splashers were incorrect in size as a result. Can you confirm if the splashers on the Armstrong are correct?

Regards,

Duncan