Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Jock, if you're looking in. Here's another astronomy pic to entertain you. A bit unusual, too - the lunar libration (wobble) brought a number of features into view that would usually be invisible from Earth (seen maybe once a year). Anyway, the craters look pretty!!

post-13778-0-64539900-1457970942.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

Interesting bit of trivia on 'Yesterday' channel last night - the surface area of Russia is larger than that of Pluto! I do agree about the 'wobble' though, my old Tasco telescope would never have picked that out!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to warn you all that now the Season of Lent has ended and it's Easter, I'M BACK!

I'm also starting a new job (despite my best efforts.....) next month.

Regards,

Peter

PS - 40 days of RMweb to catch-up on. Or maybe not.....

Hi Peter, a BIG welcome back from the Mad Man of Swad.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Peter, it was Jupiter. I was actually out imaging Jupiter on that evening - I'll post up a couple of pics.

Agree with John and Duncan. Good to have you back. Your "take" on things is always interesting to hear!

Jeff

Actually Andy isn't too far off re-street lights as they're going to replace the ones around our way with new LED ones.

Yes, got a new job despite my best efforts at being semi-retired. Will be working in an Academy with students who have been excluded from mainstream schools and/or have "challenging" behaviour. Bit like being on RMweb I suppose..........................

Got to wait until my enhanced DBS checks come through, even though I hold two current ones. Rather a palaver as I had one done recently when I volunteered at a local school. Unfortunately they're not transferrable.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

Great on you for undertaking this work which is often difficult but sometimes has great rewards.  DSB seems to be changing - I was not aware that we still had to have a new one if the last one was less than 3 months old.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

This montage of images is actually from Wednesday, my apologies. May be of interest.

attachicon.gifGRS Montage1.jpg

Jeff

That's great Jeff. Do you know which two moons they are in the 5th image?

It was quite windy here yesterday (something out of the ordinary) which left the sky exceptionally clear. Our little bird watching binoculars revealed what looked like sand on a beach. I could see clusters of galaxies with them.

Bit of a frost this morning though. Next time I'll put my camera on its stand and get the digital zoom on them.

Regards Shaun.

Edited: for missing words, I haven't had a cuppa yet!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter. You have my full respect working with youngsters who have challenging behavior. I only ever had to work with one at a time as a foster parent.

In most cases we found it was all down to too much energy, so a sugar free diet worked a treat. How can kids be expected to sit still and pay attention after a belly full of coco pops, it's beyond most parents comprehension!

Good luck, it should be very rewarding.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

That's great Jeff. Do you know which two moons they are in the 5th image?

It was quite windy here yesterday (something out of the ordinary) which left the sky exceptionally clear. Our little bird watching binoculars revealed what looked like sand on a beach. I could see clusters of galaxies with them.

Bit of a frost this morning though. Next time I'll put my camera on its stand and get the digital zoom on them.

Regards Shaun.

Edited: for missing words, I haven't had a cuppa yet!

Well spotted! Ganymede is to the left of Jupiter, Europa to the right.

The original TIF files show Io, also to the left. However, I can't post a TIF on here and when I convert the astro TIFs to Jpeg they go a bit "funny". If you'll forgive the weird looking planet disc, this is what I mean!

post-13778-0-58355900-1459282302.jpg

Io furthest left.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

Peter. You have my full respect working with youngsters who have challenging behavior. I only ever had to work with one at a time as a foster parent.

In most cases we found it was all down to too much energy, so a sugar free diet worked a treat. How can kids be expected to sit still and pay attention after a belly full of coco pops, it's beyond most parents comprehension!

Good luck, it should be very rewarding.

Regards Shaun

I try to avoid sugaring up my two- but the older one will go off like a rocket sometimes with nothing at all in him, and be calm as a mill pond with 3 glazed doughnuts in him...mind, he definitely is a mirror of me.  The younger one is much more easy going than his brother, that is for sure, and that is possibly a good thing.  To give an idea, I have sent the older lad (Daniel) to run around the house, up to 64 laps (which should equate to 3.2 km or so...) as the result of his behaviour going in a spiral out of control.  We don't live sugar free, but there are some reasonable limits on how much they end up getting.  I see a large amount of just poor parenting- where the parent doesn't take control of the children when they should.  Worst recent example was in the local A&W (burger chain), where their were 2 kids a bit older than mine, who were climbing on the furniture and the dad was doing nothing.  My two commented on it- and not in a positive light, as to the fact that these children were misbehaving.  It is part conditioning- they know that they can do something like that, and that there is going to be a signifigant reaction from us for doing so.

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted! Ganymede is to the left of Jupiter, Europa to the right.

The original TIF files show Io, also to the left. However, I can't post a TIF on here and when I convert the astro TIFs to Jpeg they go a bit "funny". If you'll forgive the weird looking planet disc, this is what I mean!

attachicon.gifJup_215757_g3_ap21 AAJ.jpg

Io furthest left.

Jeff

They're all very close in that view. I once watched an eclipse of Io, quite something when you consider the distance involved.

I try to avoid sugaring up my two- but the older one will go off like a rocket sometimes with nothing at all in him, and be calm as a mill pond with 3 glazed doughnuts in him...mind, he definitely is a mirror of me.  The younger one is much more easy going than his brother, that is for sure, and that is possibly a good thing.  To give an idea, I have sent the older lad (Daniel) to run around the house, up to 64 laps (which should equate to 3.2 km or so...) as the result of his behaviour going in a spiral out of control.  We don't live sugar free, but there are some reasonable limits on how much they end up getting.  I see a large amount of just poor parenting- where the parent doesn't take control of the children when they should.  Worst recent example was in the local A&W (burger chain), where their were 2 kids a bit older than mine, who were climbing on the furniture and the dad was doing nothing.  My two commented on it- and not in a positive light, as to the fact that these children were misbehaving.  It is part conditioning- they know that they can do something like that, and that there is going to be a signifigant reaction from us for doing so.

James

Have general agreement with you James but not all behaviour is down to sugar but it can exaggerate the effects of a learning difficulty.

The first lad we fostered was supposed to have ADD and ADHD. He was from inner London, his mum would let him eat junk out of sympathy because he couldn't go out in the streets to play. The foster agency said he was supposed to be quite a handful. The first week I just observed his behavior. There was only a two minute attention span, pretty pour for a healthy nine year old. On giving him his allowance we found he had blown it all on Coke and mars bars and had nothing left for the week after only 20 minutes. We stopped giving it to him.

After a month of no sugar he was back in a main stream school. I taught him some ball control skills which gained him a place on the soccer team and his grades were acceptable. When he wanted a new football we took him to town where upon seeing the real leather deal said it was out of the question due to the 60 quid price tag. So I gave him his allowance. I'll never forget his face when he said I'd stopped giving it him. "No" I replied "We said we weren't giving it to you. We never said we'd stopped it". So rewarding all round!!

My boy was never given sugar on an empty stomach and did much better at school when fed decent food, I must have done something right because he always saved his allowances for Lego and trains. (Oh sorry Jeff the 5 lettered T word)!

We had buttermilk waffles for breakfast which had two tables spoons of cane sugar in the mix, Sasquatch here had to climb the mountain for 3 hours afterwards to control the blood glucose levels.

Our place arrowed and the snow covered peaks around Crater Lake far distant.

post-8964-0-28204300-1459302301_thumb.jpg

Shaun.

• Like 7

We require a licence to drive a car, but not to have a kid...and quite often, the problems seem to stem from parenting skills.  Up here we have 3P, which my wife has attended, but I haven't, and that's about it.  (Positive Parenting Program).  That's voluntary, and suggested for the more at risk parents (younger, single, ect).  I think it comes down to a lack of community at times.  We find ourselves quite isolated, for quite a while there was us and that was it with kids out where we live (~15 km from the next "community", and 18.3 km from the school).  The situation has changed a bit, and the lads have more peers to go see, play with, p!$$ off, and do the things that kids need to to develop normal social relationships.  There's also a lot of helocopter parenting- "oh, my child couldn't have..", when yes they could, did, and you probably knew about it.  The boys hate me at times, because I will ask how their day was, and don't stop until I have some sort of answer from them. 

Again, diet probably does make a difference- blood sugar levels will make a kid unpredictable if they are variable.  It's not that never is a good solution either- the best is all things in moderation.  (except tea, which should be had in copious quantities, with milk)  It also helps a lot for the kids to have time to grow up on their own, as well as some structured activities.  I'm not in favor of scheduling my kids lives to excess, as it is now at times the schedule because of bus:school:afterschool program(s)(*):supper :reasonable bedtimes mean that they don't get a lot of free time during the week.   (0700 allowed out of rooms, 0745 at the bus stop, 1500 bus or afterschool program, 1600 home if bussing, 1700 if at program (thurs), 1730 supper, 1930 bedtime (Allen) 2000 bedtime (Daniel) )- (*) in terms of afterschool programs, both go to a social group on Tues/Thurs after school, working with their autism.  Tuesday then is followed by dinner in town and Beavers/Cubs, and home to bed after.  Weekends tend to be one with me, one with my wife, but which one depends.  Daniel gets to go off and do his own thing with his friends most days during the weekend.  Allen is still a bit on the small side- not because of the other children, but because of the big kitty cats around :)  (remember, don't have to run fast, just have to run faster than YOU...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you are doing great James. We tried not to over schedule our kid also. Sometimes as kids we did our homework at school before walking home and had the rest of the day free. I tried to simulate that with my son.

Agree about the tea. I stopped taking sugar in mine at age 23 when I found out about the diabetes, these days I can't put sweet things in my mouth, yuk! except if I go hypo and have to eat chocolate!

For years I was worried about my son developing the disease but have since found out it's a gene defect that skips a generation. One of the common cold viruses attacks the pancreatic beta cells and some of us don't have the gene that produces the anti bodies to fight it very well. That's why "types ones" all need different amounts of treatment due to varying amounts of damage thus making the problem incurable.

However things are improving at a rapid pace electronically! It's still all about the diet though.

Regards Shaun

• RMweb Premium

James, Shaun, Peter - please do continue your interesting discussion on sugar, diet, behaviour, diabetes etc.

In the meantime, here's a montage of Jupiter images I took last night, each image showing the Great Red Spot.

A monochrome planetary imaging camera is used, imaging through Red, Green and Blue filters. The AVI video obtained is stacked and processed to produce a colour RGB image - 3 videos per shot. The montage gives the times in UT (Universal Coordinated Time aka GMT)....

post-13778-0-82245300-1459442680_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apologies. Having 11 images on one montage renders the images small - and then you hit the 1Mb limit if you try to resize the lot!

So here's 3, hopefully a bit easier to see!

post-13778-0-58020200-1459443697_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Apologies. Having 11 images on one montage renders the images small - and then you hit the 1Mb limit if you try to resize the lot!

So here's 3, hopefully a bit easier to see!

attachicon.gif3 images1.jpg

Jeff

Fantastic images of Jupiter Jeff.

What I like about Jupiter is that The Great Red Spot gives a sense of movement in real time that you seldom get with other celestial objects apart from solar and lunar eclipses