Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Don't be jealous Jeff. Oregon is a mad place to be this weekend. Basically there are only 3 North-South roads. Hwy97 to the west of the Cascades, Interstate 5 and Hwy101 on the coast.

The estimate of over 1million people travelling to see the totality is staggering

The first two have been overwhelmed with traffic and 101 is now closed due to the fire near the town of Brookings which was issued with a level 3 evacuation yesterday.(that's pack and leave now!) The Chetco bar fire has burned 91,606 acres since the 12th.

The town of Bend ran out of gas at one point and the tiny town of Madras pop.5000 had to cope with 100,000 visitors.

There are 25 uncontained wild fires in the state and air quality is so bad it's best to stay in doors. The light effect of the smoke is so weird it seems as if the eclipse is still happening! 

I'm bummed we chose not to travel North, after all I lived in Belgium and had to deal with that kind of traffic every day!

• Like 1

Seeing the eclipse stuff should possibly be here, not the main thread, 

Jeff said about the 1999 eclipse in the UK- I have a poster which advertises it !.  I assume it is a reproduction of an LNER poster from 1924, advertising the 1924 eclipse, and how the next one would be in 1999.  Anyway, it's hung on my stairwell for probably 10 years now (since 2006), as a little bit of artwork on the stairs.  I've got other posters there- some art prints by my Canadian Artist of Choice -No, not Rush ! (Sarah Mclachlan) , and concert posters- my autographed John Mann poster is there, along with Allison Crowe, and a few more.

I quite remember seeing the eclipses that went over Toronto in 1984 and 1986, I don't think either were total, but it was really neat.  One thing that came up on Facebook, but comes from elsewhere was this little graph: http://www.victoriaweather.ca/?zone=all&kind=temperature (it should be on the right side).  Neat- actual science from the eclipse.

James

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

CASSINI - Wow,

I have just been watching a programme on Cassini and apart from the fantastic information that it has and will continue to give I was struck by the fact that many scientists from different countries were involved and that as Cassini threw up the 'unexpected' they were able to argue their case and have the flight path modified to gain more information on the 'surprises'.  The lead engineer  talked the process through and was extremely lucid and clear as well as the obvious enthusiasm.

Lets hope we see more of the 'results' to the puzzles of Saturn in the coming months although the complete picture may well be beyond the lifetime of a number of us.

Peter 

Edit = Cassini title

Edit 2 = spelling

Edited by PeterBB

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Jeff

As I walked out of my house @ 02:45 this morning and I saw that spotlight shining out of the sky I immediately thought how much you'd be enjoying such a clear night, then I remembered that you and your telescope have got them Pennines in between you. Lovely day that's followed though.

Chip.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed, it does look like someone went overboard with the plaster !

Seasons Greetings to all- I'll get little modeling done today, but the lads are enjoying it- the little one got his "Bop-It" from Santa, and the older one a couple Harry Potter books, still to do with the rest of the presents !

(& I'm waiting on a package without string from the "good" side of the Mersey ! )

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, it does look like someone went overboard with the plaster !

Seasons Greetings to all- I'll get little modeling done today, but the lads are enjoying it- the little one got his "Bop-It" from Santa, and the older one a couple Harry Potter books, still to do with the rest of the presents !

(& I'm waiting on a package without string from the "good" side of the Mersey ! )

James

All the best, James!

You might like to have a look at the new thread in Wheeltappers - And my other hobby =?

Andy started this the other day. It's a good read!

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tonight is the moon nght. Hopefully Jeff will be in a position o get some good pictures and will put some on here for us to see.

Thank you in anticipation, Peter.

Morning Peter.

The super blood blue moon. I never bothered with it.

Reasons: Blue moon, second full moon in a calendar month. Super - Moon at perigee (nearest Earth) at full phase - so looks larger.

Both of these aren't uncommon.

The "red" aspect, as you are probably aware, comes from the third bit that makes the event very rare - a total eclipse of the moon at the same time as the other things. However, the eclipse wasn't visible from the UK, so the "novelty" element was missing.

Full moon is the worst time to photograph the moon because of a lack of shadows, and hence detail visible is reduced. So I didn't bother to take any pics. The moon WAS noticeably bright, though.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for your explanation. I had forgotten that the eclipse, and therefore the really interesting aspect, was in the southern hemisphere. As you say the moon was very bright.

Cheers, Peter

I figured that I should post in here, not in Jeffs main thread...

I've had a bit of a health scare- not near as serious as Andy's, but I managed to get my blood sugars to 25 mMl/L, or a lot higher than they were supposed to be at.  I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes- which generally means I need to spend less time in front of a computer, and more time outside wandering around.  The bad part for me right now is that my sight is a ugly mess for reading text in particular.  It's supposed to clear up, as the sugar from my eyes is re=absorbed into my body.  So for now, I can't see much in the way of text, it's all basically a blurr making reading a little challenge !

Good news:  show next weekend for Lego !

Bad news- I'm the mostly responsible person for it !

On the OO front, the next event for the club is going to be taking the new layout to the Victoria (BC) model railway show at the end of May.  It won't be finished, but hopefully it will be wired & running.  That's assuming I can see to wire it.  Long Martin is presently in use as a drying rack for Lego track, as I clean some 20+ year old track off for further service.  The gunge is quite amazing...

In case you lot thought I'd done a Jason and biked away, I haven't really.  I just cant see well to be able to comment !

James

I figured that I should post in here, not in Jeffs main thread...

I've had a bit of a health scare- not near as serious as Andy's, but I managed to get my blood sugars to 25 mMl/L, or a lot higher than they were supposed to be at.  I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes- which generally means I need to spend less time in front of a computer, and more time outside wandering around.  The bad part for me right now is that my sight is a ugly mess for reading text in particular.  It's supposed to clear up, as the sugar from my eyes is re=absorbed into my body.  So for now, I can't see much in the way of text, it's all basically a blurr making reading a little challenge !

Good news:  show next weekend for Lego !

Bad news- I'm the mostly responsible person for it !

On the OO front, the next event for the club is going to be taking the new layout to the Victoria (BC) model railway show at the end of May.  It won't be finished, but hopefully it will be wired & running.  That's assuming I can see to wire it.  Long Martin is presently in use as a drying rack for Lego track, as I clean some 20+ year old track off for further service.  The gunge is quite amazing...

In case you lot thought I'd done a Jason and biked away, I haven't really.  I just cant see well to be able to comment !

James

Morning James, I'm really sorry to read your news mate, the eyes are so precious and we all take them for granted. When I had my Stroke almost 4 years ago, the only thing that affected me was Double Vision, so I can imagine what your going through right now.

I guess resting until there sorted is one solution, but I can imagine you want to be outside and DOING THINGS, a very difficult compromise for you mate.

I hope you recover soon, please keep us posted when you can.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi James.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your post. I don't look on here very often and I'm grateful to Andy for sending me a PM to point this out.

Of course, if I'd replied earlier you'd likely not be able to read it! I hope the vision situation is rapidly sorted.

Look on the positive side. Your recent scare should encourage you to spend more time outdoors in the glorious Canadian environment. I need to kick myself up the ar5e if I'm to lose the stone I feel I need to. I used to do a lot of running, but it's not a good idea for the joints as you get older.

Look after yourself as we keep telling Andy.

Jeff

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes Scott, totally agree.

Very sharp detail, great contrast. And this phase of the moon is easy to over-expose.

The seeing is quoted as 4/10. That's not particularly good, so the result is even more creditable. Atmospheric steadiness has been appalling over here the last 3 times I've been imaging. 2/10 or worse.

Jeff