Track cleaning systems

There have been many exchanges on this topic on this website and many differing opinions expressed.  The problem with most wagon-based systems is that they are too light to remove anything but the lightest of dirt.  In my opinion the best system is the CMX machine which is a weighty, brass tank wagon but it is rather expensive.  It is available in N, 00 and 0 gauge.  If all your track is easily accessible, the best method is probably a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol (IPA) but, I find the CMX machine very successful with IPA.  The problem with a finger in an IPA soaked rag is that it will freeze your finger!

Harold.

• Agree 1

I'd encourage you to do a site search for CMX.

Like Harold, I, too am a convert.  I use Cellulose Thinners in mine, but many other avoid this because of it's carcinogenic risks.

It isn't a cheap device, and needs a serious loco to haul/propel it, but it does what it says on the pack, in places you might never reach properly yourself.

• Agree 1

I have a Dapol track cleaner and it works pretty well using the soft pads plus IPA, and the grinding pads are effective but don't last very long. It also has a vacuum, which the CMX does not have, and this is really handy for inaccessible areas. However, most reviews say the CMX is the best (primarily because it is much heavier), but you will pay around £120 for it, whereas the Dapol can be had for around £60.

• RMweb Premium

I use a Centerline track cleaning car which is common in North America. I use Aero fluid in it.

The car is a metal frame with a knurled brass roller in it. A strip of J-cloth is wrapped around the roller and soaked in fluid, then the car is hauled around the layout. Mine develops a pair of black streaks.

Some guys, richer than me, follow it with a dry car.

I've also used the Woodland Scenics kit which is a manual operation.

• 5 years later...
On 03/05/2015 at 21:31, HLT 0109 said:

There have been many exchanges on this topic on this website and many differing opinions expressed.  The problem with most wagon-based systems is that they are too light to remove anything but the lightest of dirt.  In my opinion the best system is the CMX machine which is a weighty, brass tank wagon but it is rather expensive.  It is available in N, 00 and 0 gauge.  If all your track is easily accessible, the best method is probably a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol (IPA) but, I find the CMX machine very successful with IPA.  The problem with a finger in an IPA soaked rag is that it will freeze your finger!

Harold.

(7 yrs pass....) Isopropanol/IPA is excellent, also good for guitar strings btw. And now we've all got access to disposable gloves no more finger-freeze! However you can use this stuff for solder burns or scalpel nicks. 

2 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Recently purchased the ten commandments track cleaner. Very impressed with its cleaning ability.

20210114_144006.jpg

I have 5 of these and yes they are very good, I got mine from the German manufacturer direct. Now the tip get some double side tape and from Tesco’s get the yellow cleaning cloths (they were a £1 for a pack of 3) to replace the felt pads. The Tesco ones are exactly the same apart from colour, also available in the Aldi Sud in Germany. Just one trip around the layout and they need changing. Also the manufacturer does replacement NEM coupling sockets made from a printer. Certain Marklin wagon bodies fit these aswell to hind the starkness of it.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Recently purchased the ten commandments track cleaner. Very impressed with its cleaning ability.

20210114_144006.jpg

Just googling for the N gauge equivalent! *Edit: Bosh! £40 direct from Ten Commandments, update to follow....

Edited by Ray Von

2 hours ago, pH said:

Mmmmm?

Another solution that relies on abrasive pads.

The wisest and most revered wizards of our sacred arts, would countenance against any form of cleaning that involves abrasive techniques.

Just buy the CMX, or anything that works in a similar fashion.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Mmmmm?

Another solution that relies on abrasive pads.

The wisest and most revered wizards of our sacred arts, would countenance against any form of cleaning that involves abrasive techniques.

Just buy the CMX, or anything that works in a similar fashion.

I've used a very fine and ancient emery board in the past, it came in a Xmas Cracker - it always seems to clear the track nicely but I do have that nagging feeling that I ought not be using it....