Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Roy G Perkins, Chairman of Waverley Route Heritage Association

'CHARD

It is with immense regret and sadness that I pass this news on to forum members, many of whom I know are keen followers of Waverley route developments.

Roy Perkins passed away last week.  I hadn't wanted to bring the news, but his passing is in the public domain here, as his inestimable contribution was marked at Whitrope:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=51173

In recent years his archive of immediate post-closure photographs recording the state of the line, have been brought to a wider audience in the Through Time series of books co-authored with Iain 'Mac' MacIntosh of this parish.

Roy's involvement with the line goes back to those fateful months of impending closure, when he was a leading figure in the Border Union Railway Co, which negotiated with British Rail in an heroic attempt to save the route from destruction.  Much of what is written in recent histories has been reliant on his archive.

I only met Roy a couple of times, and I was slightly humbled that he knew who I was, principally from my keyboard pronouncements regarding the route.  He was a member on here in his own right, and for his valued contributions I thank him as profusely now as I did at the time.  

My abiding memory will be of Roy's transcendental yet understated presence at the 45th Anniversary commemorative dinner for the line's closure, in Newcastleton last year, where Lord David Steel relived the closure protest of the final night.  Whilst he was surely the enduring figure behind the fight to bring back the line, I found Roy a quiet and deep figure, in whose knowledge and Waverley legacy I am unashamed to say I stood, and shall always stand, in awe.

I extend my deepest sympathy to Roy's family and friends.  May he rest in peace.  His contribution was enormous and as the baton passes to the next generation of Borders believers, we can be assured he will not be forgotten.

Very sad news Ian.

I never met Roy but have had email discussions with him on the odd topic.

He was always full of enthusiasm with every thing he was involved with.

So soon after the passing of fellow BURCo Director Bob Symes.

Rip Roy.

Bernard

Of course, how did I forget that Bob had left us so recently too.  

I am confident that the legacy will be ably taken forward by a number of parties.  Certainly Iain Mac's activities should provide a fantastic conduit for Roy's diligent chronicling of the post-closure, pre-lifting route.  The northern phoenix will ensure Hawick gets a fair hearing in the reconnection debate.  And on the heritage side, his good work will continue as the bedrock for a flourishing and hopefully growing concern.

Now is not the time, but in the fullness of history it would be fitting to see BURCO's efforts - and each of its key protagonists - given the page space they so richly deserve.  Theirs is a story ripe for the telling. 

Now is not the time, but in the fullness of history it would be fitting to see BURCO's efforts - and each of its key protagonists - given the page space they so richly deserve.  Theirs is a story ripe for the telling. 

In the strange way that thinks happen I have just had an email from David Spaven regarding a new edition of his Waverley book.

This book, for those not aware, contains much information regarding and contributed by Roy.

Bernard

Archived