On the EMU side of things, I hope to scratch build some class 317's and also 321's, tha latter will made up of 3D prints from shapeways. Third rail class 313's will also be modelled. There will also be mail/parcels trains leaving the station and a variety of loco movements in and out of the station with ECS workings.

For EMUs, I believe that N-Train are planning to release other Mk3 EMU kits after they have done the 319 and 325. This means that you may be spared the pain of scratch building the 317s and 321s (didn't they look smart in the "new NSE livery?) :)

Wow - don't be afraid to go for anything ambitious will you?

Did once (a long time ago!) daydream about doing a scheme based on Euston (but steam era) but it remained just that, a daydream. My future thoughts lie 299 miles further up the WCML.

Good luck and hope to keep track of progress :good:

• RMweb Premium

Ah! I tried comparing your Templot prints with the Quail Maps book (not the current edition: the 1990-ish one). It's Platform 8 that's missing, isn't it?

Jim

I think the track missing in the image above is that alongside platform 7 although it may be that that the track that is seen against platform 8 should be against platform 7.

Ah! I tried comparing your Templot prints with the Quail Maps book (not the current edition: the 1990-ish one). It's Platform 8 that's missing, isn't it?

Jim

Hi Jim,

It is. I have yet to complete the three way turnout which will allow for the additional track into platform 7. How does the plan compare to the book? I'm sure there is a double slip missing on my plan!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

I think the track missing in the image above is that alongside platform 7 although it may be that that the track that is seen against platform 8 should be against platform 7.

Absolutely right Ray. As mentioned above, I just need to finalise the three way turnout and I'm thinking of giving your method a go later to produce it.

For EMUs, I believe that N-Train are planning to release other Mk3 EMU kits after they have done the 319 and 325. This means that you may be spared the pain of scratch building the 317s and 321s (didn't they look smart in the "new NSE livery?) :)

NSE was a smart livery and it looked like somebody had actually thought about. Compared to todays liveries which are not so great. Mind you, the latest Virgin East Coast livery is exceptionally smart and suits the 91's really well.

• RMweb Gold

An amazing project and I envy (I don't think that's too strong a word) your commitment and skill.

But does it work as a layout? Presumably you will not model the cutting on one side so as to give a viewpoint (Liverpool Lime St does this well). But what of all those platforms below a big, and quite low, concrete deck?

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that N-Train (and Electra) have the 313 available as a complete 3D Printed kit, with the 325 and 319 following on. 317s are definitely on the cards, as I'm planning to model the southern end of the ECML in the late 80s in N. There's no reason why a 321 cannot follow, as they are all drawn up.

• Like 1

Good evening,

Tonight I've trimmed down the printed plan and laid it out on the floor just to get an idea of how it might look. Still need to add in the three way turnout and extra track but it seems to be piecing together quite nicely now.

Here are some photos.

post-10222-0-78045900-1430864576.jpg

post-10222-0-64744900-1430864586.jpg

post-10222-0-47807700-1430864595.jpg

post-10222-0-47921800-1430864603.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 14

I like that you say "inspired" that terrifies me from a modelling point of few but I am looking forward to watching the progress

An amazing project and I envy (I don't think that's too strong a word) your commitment and skill.

But does it work as a layout? Presumably you will not model the cutting on one side so as to give a viewpoint (Liverpool Lime St does this well). But what of all those platforms below a big, and quite low, concrete deck?

I've considered not modelling the Kennedy Hotel on one side of the layout to allow easy viewing but my thoughts are that, to get the right atmosphere, it should be modelled. It would make viewing slightly awkward but it will really give the right feel of a London terminus, set down almost "in a hole", surrounded by larger buildings.

Underneath the roof, I have not considered this yet. I've seen Jim Smith Wrights amazing Birmingham New Street and he has made a fine representation of the area beneath the roof with working lights. I'm unsure if this would be possible in 2mm as it would require an incredible amount of work beyond my skills.

For now, I'll model the visible section and the start of the over roof and then go from there.

Best regards,

Jeremy

looking forward to this! excellent project. I've been wishing I could do something similar for absolutely ages.

from a 4mm point of view, it's incredible what can be achieved in 2mm. all that in under 2m! enough to make one convert! :)

• Like 1

I know its in the wrong livery, until its repainted; and I know nowt of how good the model is but I do know its cheap and highly suitable for Euston! :)

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-87-019-sir-winston-churchill-virgin-trains-electric-loco-371-751-JJJA7398.aspx

Farish class 87

Crickey! Bargain! Now where's the credit card.........!!

• RMweb Gold

I've considered not modelling the Kennedy Hotel on one side of the layout to allow easy viewing but my thoughts are that, to get the right atmosphere, it should be modelled. It would make viewing slightly awkward but it will really give the right feel of a London terminus, set down almost "in a hole", surrounded by larger buildings.

Underneath the roof, I have not considered this yet. I've seen Jim Smith Wrights amazing Birmingham New Street and he has made a fine representation of the area beneath the roof with working lights. I'm unsure if this would be possible in 2mm as it would require an incredible amount of work beyond my skills.

For now, I'll model the visible section and the start of the over roof and then go from there.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I think that Jim S-W's New St works OK in 4mm (I have only seen it in photos not "live"), but the viewing height available in 2mm will be so much more restricted.

To see through the station, you need to set the layout at eye level. But if you do that, you can't see anything in the cutting.....

Sorry to sound negative but I had a great friend who when  he finally came to retirement and construction of his "layout of a lifetime" found that the extensive platform canopies on his layout meant that he could not see the trains properly. He was very disappointed.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps installing webcams under the roof is the way to go - it would be virtually impossible to see much of the platform area otherwise.

• Like 1

Two interesting points of note;

1) For modelling, at 3:45 an ECS move into the station with the train reversing in (this was pre DVT) 

2) General - around 5:00 light engines moving up to stock without a chap waving it on to the train, the driver does it all by himself

• Like 1

Also interesting (to me anyway) is at about 10 minutes in, a Pullman train arrives with what appears to be a Mk3 composite coach behind the initial BG.

I never realised there were any compos in the Mk3 series.

Also interesting (to me anyway) is at about 10 minutes in, a Pullman train arrives with what appears to be a Mk3 composite coach behind the initial BG.

I never realised there were any compos in the Mk3 series.

There were some MK3 compos in use with Scotrail on the push pull services but these were eventually converted back to either full first or full standard class, cannot remember which.

The vehicle in the clip looks like a BFO however, numbers 17173-17175. Think these were all allocated to Polmadie.

Cheers

Simon