Thanks again everyone for your kind comments. It's come together better than I thought it would do. I think the etches for the windows make the difference as it helps capture the look of the prototype. (thanks again Cav!)

Simon, maybe the 317 could make an "on test" appearance on Dallam one day!

Andy, thanks for your comments on the track work, I have to admit that 3 or 4 of the first turnouts that I built are a little ropey and need adjusting or rebuilding. However, the rest is ok as I was building up my experience and confidence by then.

Joseph, I may decide to have fixed diamonds now due to the complexity of wiring. I will attempt to wire up one of the switch diamonds and decide from there what is more practical and, most importantly, most reliable. I don't want to come unstuck at an exhibition. Have to admit, the switches would look good though!

More to follow.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments. It's come together better than I thought it would do. I think the etches for the windows make the difference as it helps capture the look of the prototype. (thanks again Cav!)

Andy, thanks for your comments on the track work, I have to admit that 3 or 4 of the first turnouts that I built are a little ropey and need adjusting or rebuilding. However, the rest is ok as I was building up my experience and confidence by then.

Joseph, I may decide to have fixed diamonds now due to the complexity of wiring. I will attempt to wire up one of the switch diamonds and decide from there what is more practical and, most importantly, most reliable. I don't want to come unstuck at an exhibition. Have to admit, the switches would look good though!

More to follow.

Best regards,

Jeremy

There is not much experience out there with switched crossings although I recall that MRC built some for their OO layout.

But theoretically, they should be easier to wire than fixed diamonds.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Jeremy,

I model in P4 and have made switched diamonds.  The wiring is no different from a fixed diamond, and switched diamonds are mandatory for shallow diamonds of #8 or more in fine scale.

JF

Just for academic interest, I would be interested to see your wiring diagram for this. I would have thought it easier to use the extra two motors/servos with additional switches to turn off the current to the blades.

Edit to add: Jez has #7 angle crossings but the real thing at Euston has switched crossings.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Just for academic interest, I would be interested to see your wiring diagram for this. I would have thought it easier to use the extra two motors/servos with additional switches to turn off the current to the blades.

Edit to add: Jez has #7 angle crossings but the real thing at Euston has switched crossings.

Wiring diamond crossings and slips are much the same providing you use the same logic on each with the electrical isolation gaps. It is easy to build each in 4 isolated sections which separates the common crossings and stock rails from each other. I have put in a link to C&L's data sheets but the stock rail sections polarity always remains the same, where as the common crossing polarity alters depending on which route has been selected

Link to C&L wiring diagrsm  http://www.finescale.org.uk/pdfs/S_Slip.pdf

More to follow.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

Depending on hoe you have made the electrical isolation breaks the wiring of fixed and switched diamonds in most cases will be the same the same

Echoing comments above - I found it difficult enough (as a first-timer like you) airbrushing my 3-Subs with just one colour for sides and another for roof.

That NWSE livery is so much more complex and I really must take my hat off to you for achieving such a remarkably crisp finish. I hope you are justifyably proud of yourself!

Edited by Southernboy

Echoing comments above - I found it difficult enough (as a first-timer like you) airbrushing my 3-Subs with just one colour for sides and another for roof.

That NWSE livery is so much more complex and I really must take my hat off to you for achieving such a remarkably crisp finish. I hope you are justifyably proud of yourself!

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind comment. I followed with interest the progression of your subs, which I must say are some very fine models. Modelling like that inspires to do something similar, albeit in a different era with the 317. The NSE livery isn't an easy one and I'm definitely pleased with the finish so far.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

I like your 317 very much I have been wondering if the same basic conversion could make a class 455 in 4mm.

Keith HC

Hi,

Thanks! It should be possible. The class 150 shares the same body so with some additional gubbins on the cab front should be a straight forward conversion. There may be other differences too but I haven't studied the prototype on this one.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Well, it's been a little while since I last posted. Since my last post Ian Morgan has been over to help me start off the electrics and set me up with a turnout operation system. Thanks again Ian for giving up your Sunday to help me out. It's much appreciated.

I've also been painting the class 317 into Network Southeast livery. I think it's come out really well considering this is the first time I've used an airbrush. I've taken my time to mask up the lines and upsweeps and I think it's that that has contributed to the end result. Below are some photos of the various stages.

attachicon.gifIMG_7647.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7648.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7649.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7650.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7651.JPG

Just the transfers and three more coaches to go now!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Absolutely superb!

Hi,

Thanks! It should be possible. The class 150 shares the same body so with some additional gubbins on the cab front should be a straight forward conversion. There may be other differences too but I haven't studied the prototype on this one.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Keith,

As Jeremy has said the class 455 shares the same body as the 150 (and 317). The first batch of 455s had front ends as Jeremy is modelling. However the second and third batches had fronts exactly the same as the 150. The only difference between the second and third batches were that the second batch of 455s used the trailer coaches from the 508s that went to Liverpool as 3 car sets. I would think that the easiest conversion to do would be to model the third batch, but I think (contrary to most people) that the first batch look the best!

David

Keith,

As Jeremy has said the class 455 shares the same body as the 150 (and 317). The first batch of 455s had front ends as Jeremy is modelling. However the second and third batches had fronts exactly the same as the 150. The only difference between the second and third batches were that the second batch of 455s used the trailer coaches from the 508s that went to Liverpool as 3 car sets. I would think that the easiest conversion to do would be to model the third batch, but I think (contrary to most people) that the first batch look the best!

David

Thanks David,

Just long term plans at the moment but I do fancy the first batch. However Jeremy's conversion looks great I am longing to see Euston one end of a show connected to Dallam sidings. That would be quite a model. Anyone going to do New street in N.......

Keith HC 

Thanks David,

Just long term plans at the moment but I do fancy the first batch. However Jeremy's conversion looks great I am longing to see Euston one end of a show connected to Dallam sidings. That would be quite a model. Anyone going to do New street in N.......

Keith HC

It would be awesome to connect up several WCML based layouts at a show. It would be so much fun to operate!

great job on that paint work. Are you sure you've not done it before?

Kinlet Wharf is ready to be connected not quite sure your 2016 standard 2mmFS will match to our 1993 trackwork with pizza cutter scale pointwork :)

Alstair

Edited by alibuchan

great job on that paint work. Are you sure you've not done it before?

Kinlet Wharf is ready to be connected not quite sure your 2016 standard 2mmFS will match to our 1993 trackwork with pizza cutter scale pointwork :)

Alstair

Hi Alistair,

I absolutely love Kinlet wharf with its superb scenery and especially the hand made OHLE. I first saw the experimental catenary in Railway Modeller on the Lowes Hill Marina layout. Can't remember who wrote the article though. That was a great layout too.

I'm very much a newbie to airbrushing and there's nothing like throwing yourself into the deep end with NSE livery!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi Alistair,

I absolutely love Kinlet wharf with its superb scenery and especially the hand made OHLE. I first saw the experimental catenary in Railway Modeller on the Lowes Hill Marina layout. Can't remember who wrote the article though. That was a great layout too.

I'm very much a newbie to airbrushing and there's nothing like throwing yourself into the deep end with NSE livery!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I started with the much simpler DRS livery. Looking at the 323 bodyshells that I have, that are to go into London Midland livery and quite frankly it scares me!

You need to get your Wharf fix in quickly. It's officially only got 2 shows left before it is retired. However this was the plan with having a new layout ready but that is still a long way off. So it might be out be out again.

Next show is Corsham (I think, can't find my diary) in April and it's 20 year return to Warley in November.

Alistair

I started with the much simpler DRS livery. Looking at the 323 bodyshells that I have, that are to go into London Midland livery and quite frankly it scares me!

You need to get your Wharf fix in quickly. It's officially only got 2 shows left before it is retired. However this was the plan with having a new layout ready but that is still a long way off. So it might be out be out again.

Next show is Corsham (I think, can't find my diary) in April and it's 20 year return to Warley in November.

Alistair

I think the first time that I saw Kinlet Wharf was in 1997 at the Bletchley exhibition, I may just have some video of it somewhere! Will you be at the Warley show? I'll pop over and say hello  if you are as I'll be there on the Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing the 323, the livery will be fine, it's all about careful masking like with my 317. Anything can be achieved!

Best regards,

Jeremy

That would have been one of the early shows it went out to. Kidderminster in March 1996 was first. Its not doing too badly for an old timer!

Im not there on Saturday, only Sunday this year as too many members wanted to man the stand unlike every other year.

the 323 will get done at some stage, just got to build my currage for all of those curved lines around the cab and doors and windows.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_Midland_Class_323.jpg

It will look good, once i pull my finger out.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan