It looks very impressive Jeremy! I do like the pictures showing all the trains lined up, truely capturing the feel of a large mainline terminus.

Thanks Andy. Lining up the stock is really motivating and keeps the mojo going to crack on with the layout and get the wiring done so I can finally run some trains.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Hi Jeremy,

One benefit you will find now with having a home for the layout is that things can progress quite quickly as you do not need to tidy up after each session  and if you have the materials to hand its amazing what you can complete 10mins here 10mins there so to speak, I found that with Dallam as I did not need to take the boards down each session. What I would suggest is that you store a few items from the house inside your shed as this gives you justification to nip in there for 10mins when you need to 'look for/retrieve' said items.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

One benefit you will find now with having a home for the layout is that things can progress quite quickly as you do not need to tidy up after each session  and if you have the materials to hand its amazing what you can complete 10mins here 10mins there so to speak, I found that with Dallam as I did not need to take the boards down each session. What I would suggest is that you store a few items from the house inside your shed as this gives you justification to nip in there for 10mins when you need to 'look for/retrieve' said items.

Cheers

Simon

Agree with that buddy! With the lighter evenings, I'm hoping to be out there a bit when I get home from work. Like you say, 10 minutes and 10 minutes there will allow me to make progress.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Jeremy,

Do you have some sort of hinge and/or propping mechanism sorted out to help you working underneath fitting tie-bars and servos? That big baseboard is a bit of a monster.

good luck,

Ian.

Jeremy,

Do you have some sort of hinge and/or propping mechanism sorted out to help you working underneath fitting tie-bars and servos? That big baseboard is a bit of a monster.

good luck,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately not. I will most probably add a couple of strips of wood under to raise the board up a bit and then work underneath.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I think I will look into alarms, sounds like it's going to be a good idea just in case. The points will be moved using the MERG system and a similar set up of tie bars below the baseboards like Ian Morgan has on his Freshwater layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I've made bold and large the bit I'm referring to, I will be at the Horsham show on 6th May with UMRC layout "Oakley" and will be more than happy to discuss and advise you on this and other security matters from a  professional stand-point (no charge for advice).

Kev

Jeremy,

I've made bold and large the bit I'm referring to, I will be at the Horsham show on 6th May with UMRC layout "Oakley" and will be more than happy to discuss and advise you on this and other security matters from a  professional stand-point (no charge for advice).

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thanks and I'll try and drop by and say hello.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

I've dipped in and out of this thread over time. It's an extensive project and not just impressive for that but also the level of finese and fine modelling employed. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

G.

I've dipped in and out of this thread over time. It's an extensive project and not just impressive for that but also the level of finese and fine modelling employed. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

G.

Thanks Grahame. It's been a slow progress on this one but hopefully a steady one which will turn into to something rather special. I have an invite to Trainwest in 2019 so I do need to progress it more regularly now so there will be lots of updates coming through over the coming months.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Thanks Grahame. It's been a slow progress on this one but hopefully a steady one which will turn into to something rather special. I have an invite to Trainwest in 2019 so I do need to progress it more regularly now so there will be lots of updates coming through over the coming months.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I've been following this thread for a while now, and although I model in 4mm, this is bang on my modelling era.

I too have an invite for my own layout to an exhibition in 2019, so I know how you're feeling Jeremy, there's nothing quite like a looming exhibition invite to focus the mind!

Keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job.

cheers

Andy

I've been following this thread for a while now, and although I model in 4mm, this is bang on my modelling era.

I too have an invite for my own layout to an exhibition in 2019, so I know how you're feeling Jeremy, there's nothing quite like a looming exhibition invite to focus the mind!

Keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job.

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Apologies for the late reply. The exhibition is an exciting prospect and certainly need to crack on with things now. My next order of track is on its way now so I should be able to complete the trackwork in the train shed area over the coming weeks.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Good evening,

My easitrac order turned up last week so I'll start laying down more track soon.

In the meantime I have been adding some 3D printed MU cables to my NSE liveried class 86. Dapol produced the loco with just the TDM cables. In my period of 1989, it ran with the MU cables. Anyway, here are a few photos, I really think it makes a difference to the overall appearance.

Without the MU's..

post-10222-0-28382600-1492637441_thumb.jpg

And with them fitted.

post-10222-0-93453300-1492637526_thumb.jpg

Ive also been priming my next couple of locos. Another 86 and a 37. The 37 will be in Intercity Mainline livery representing 37401. I'll also do 37404 in the same livery and have them double heading the sleeper, just for some additional variety. Due to electric loco failure, they continued all the way to Euston! Well that's the story anyway!

post-10222-0-16171800-1492637696_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 14

I like 86401, especially with the old MU jumpers.

I may be wrong but I thought the newer (yellow) style of warning flashes were introduced in the mid-90's.

Edit: I have just looked at some old pics of 86401 in NSE & it never had warning flashes. I wonder if they omitted them from overhead Electric locos because it was just stating the obvious?

I also noticed that the TDM cable stowage receptors are set in their newer orientation. The cables used to plug into them from below, but around the same time as they removed the old MU jumpers, they shortened the TDM cables & plugged them in from above.

The res 86 (416) illustrates what I mean. 86213 & 86502 have the older TDM cable configuration.

Cumberland%20Park%2019.jpg

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 6

Those look great Jeremy, I shall see what I can do to get Shapeways to print more.

On the warning flashes, yes back in the pre yellow flashes days AC electric locos never seems to carry them. I always found it odd as they was 100% always be under wires where diesel locos were probably 75% of the time not under them!!

The logic of man!

Hi,

I hadn't noticed the lack of flashes on the prototype. An easy job to remove them from the model.

With regards to the TDM's, there isn't any replacement ones available that I know of. I've got one pair of the old TPM etches left so at the moment it's easier for me to leave on the mounded ones. If some more etches become available, I can always replace them at a later stage.

On the NSE 86, I just need to add the "Northampton Town" nameplates.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Good evening,

A couple jobs tonight, first off I've added the cantrail stripes to 86206. Not an easy job to get the fox transfers perfectly straight but I've had a good go at it. Any tips greatly appreciated for future reference!

post-10222-0-74313100-1492714065_thumb.jpg

I've also removed the OH flashes from 86401. Nothing a bit of T-Cut couldn't sort out!

post-10222-0-29088900-1492714159_thumb.jpg

I've also started threading on some sleepers and rails for the second board. Once I've got a load done I'll start fixing them down to the board.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 16

Looks good Jeremy.

I tend to put the cantrail decals on in small sections rather than one long length. The shorter bits stay straighter naturally, still a PITA mind. I still think masking them and airbrushing them on looks better if the area is flat and the masking tape can do its job.

Edited by RBE