Hi,

I managed to get a few hours in yesterday before our friends arrived for dinner. I've been concentrating on the first of the trainshed boards and this one will be the one that is used at home and at exhibitions as I do not have space for the second board at home. The second board will be exclusively for exhibitions and will feature the front entrance and concourse of the station.

A little bit of research revealed that platforms 3 to 14 were under the section ringed in red in the photo below. The line of single windows is where the track sits with the double line of windows being where the platforms are.

post-10222-0-65303800-1500287947_thumb.jpg

From measuring the double line of windows to get a rough guestimate of the platform width, this revealed it to be around 6.1cm. so platforms 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10, 11 and 12, and 13 and 14 would all be this measurement.

So here is a photo of the progress so far. Platforms 2 and 3 are very wide so this is reflected on the layout. The next 6 platforms will all measure as mentioned above.

post-10222-0-82568900-1500288961_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-53949200-1500288975_thumb.jpg

Once all the tracks are down, I'll wire them all up and then move back to wiring the station throat board. Once that's completed, I'll build the home fiddle yard boards and then get the first train running into the station! :victory:

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 12

Euston takes a lot of bad press for the outside of its train shed.

That is a pity because the concourse is comfortably the best of the London termini. Its a shame that you will only get to see the outside in 2mm.

It's probably not the best looking structure compared to the likes of Kings Cross and St. Pancras but I quite like the look of the concourse and front entrance. There will be Perspex on the sides so you'll be able to see the interior with the trains parked up.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Good evening,

Thought I'd post a picture with a posed full WCML rake complete with class 86. Even though I don't have space for the full length train shed at home, it still fits in the space rather nicely.

post-10222-0-88759300-1500405164_thumb.jpg

(boards starting to fill up with stuff!!)

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 14

Good evening,

Thought I'd post a picture with a posed full WCML rake complete with class 86. Even though I don't have space for the full length train shed at home, it still fits in the space rather nicely.

attachicon.gifIMG_0782.JPG

(boards starting to fill up with stuff!!)

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking very impressive Jeremy!!

Looking good. Will it be hard to drive the trains in I wonder with the train shed?

I think I'm going to need some kind of sensor light near the end of each siding so I know when I'm close to the home buffers, or I'm going to have some serious train crashes! Maybe have three lights that light up in turn as it gets closer to the buffers. Unless I can gauge it depending on how many coaches have entered the train shed.

Lots to consider!

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

a cheap and simple cctv or usb camera would be easier and easily hidden  IR sensors are very sensitive to light conditions 

Nick

Hi Nick,

That would actually be quite cool to watch the trains arriving under the train shed! Definitely worth considering too!

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I think I'm going to need some kind of sensor light near the end of each siding so I know when I'm close to the home buffers, or I'm going to have some serious train crashes! Maybe have three lights that light up in turn as it gets closer to the buffers. Unless I can gauge it depending on how many coaches have entered the train shed.

Lots to consider!

MERG have a bunch of Train on Track & various other type of detectors you could take a look at.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

That would actually be quite cool to watch the trains arriving under the train shed! Definitely worth considering too!

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeremy

as an after thought I think your DCC so use the merg DCC detectors although I would still favour a camera option as a visual reminder and it would probably cost less than a £5 assuming you have a suitable pc/laptop   the merg detectors are a couple of £ per track assuming your  a member

Nick

as an after thought I think your DCC so use the merg DCC detectors although I would still favour a camera option as a visual reminder and it would probably cost less than a £5 assuming you have a suitable pc/laptop   the merg detectors are a couple of £ per track assuming your  a member

Nick

Yes I'm using the MERG system. The camera sounds good though as it will definitely be fun watching the trains entering and leaving the train shed. Maybe have the light detectors as back up too.

Certainly plenty to digest.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

I've now completed two sets of the Hampstead Road bridge supports. Here is a bit of a mock up on the kitchen table this evening showing how it might look with a trial bridge on top made up of foam board. It's quite a wide bridge in reality so I hope it captures the size well.

post-10222-0-70661300-1501014603_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-69127700-1501014640_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-90614900-1501014673_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-80145600-1501014710_thumb.jpg

Just one more support to build now.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 15

Made a note to look at this bridge when I went under it today. Never noticed it before, but I'm usually getting ready to get off or settling down for the journey ahead at this point!  Looks like you've got it nailed already. Just need a bit more mess around it......

• Like 1

Made a note to look at this bridge when I went under it today. Never noticed it before, but I'm usually getting ready to get off or settling down for the journey ahead at this point!  Looks like you've got it nailed already. Just need a bit more mess around it......

Thanks mate! I've got two more supports to add to each end of the support structures. These will be made out of square section and will be glued into position.

Best regards,

Jeremy

It really is amazing how much you see & find when you visit somewhere with the intention of modelling it.

A lot of what Jez is modelling can be seen better from a passing train. Sounds like a good excuse to travel on the WCML.

Totally agree with this. When you start to model a real location you start to see all kinds of things that you would never have even know existed as an average Joe.

Bridge is looking great Jeremy.