Nice work Jeremy!

You have inspired me and everyone else and you should be very proud of your work. The 317 looks good as well. I'm also thinking of getting a kato Eurostar however a full 20 car set would be 2.5 metres in length. I like a challenge though. Also, are you dcc or analogue (apologies if it's already been answered. Just out of interest, do you have the virgin pretendolino yet as there's a few class 90s on eBay including an EWS one.

Best Regards, Matthew :)

Nice work Jeremy!

You have inspired me and everyone else and you should be very proud of your work. The 317 looks good as well. I'm also thinking of getting a kato Eurostar however a full 20 car set would be 2.5 metres in length. I like a challenge though. Also, are you dcc or analogue (apologies if it's already been answered. Just out of interest, do you have the virgin pretendolino yet as there's a few class 90s on eBay including an EWS one.

Best Regards, Matthew :)

HI Matthew,

I’m quite pleased so far with the 317. I’ve got a kato Eurostar and a 4 car add on set which I will run into Euston although I’ve never seen a photo of one there. They did run on the WCML though and if anyone has any photos of one at Euston feel free to post here.

I may pick up a pretendolino at some stage for those modern moments.

Yes, the layout will be DCC.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi

HI Matthew,

I’m quite pleased so far with the 317. I’ve got a kato Eurostar and a 4 car add on set which I will run into Euston although I’ve never seen a photo of one there. They did run on the WCML though and if anyone has any photos of one at Euston feel free to post here.

I may pick up a pretendolino at some stage for those modern moments.
Yes, the layout will be DCC.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi, love the 317 as well, having converted 150s into the later 317/6. The ramp and backing walls look great and are really creating the impression - I also use sandpaper to represent the road surface on my layout. A DCC class 83 is probably a non-starter as the Farish 33 chassis barely fits inside the Dapol bodyshell I was using on mine, leaving no room for anything else.The Dapol 33/27/26 chassis is near full height between the cabs, the German DB class 110 (used on some 00 conversions) has little room between the bogies. I'll persist with the Farish 33 chassis and keep you posted, but unfortunately this project is on the back burner whilst BR Lines fix split gears which have appeared on both this and the original chassis I intended to use (I do not have a great deal of luck with both Farish 33's and their chassis compared to everything else I run) . Staying positive, I look forward to your next update and the day it appears at a exhibition.

regards

Peter

• RMweb Premium

The DCX77z decoder from CT should be able to fit underneath, between the bogies. Running the wires from it would be interesting though.

Finding CT decoders these days is the challenge. My latest two DCX76 are currently winging their way to me from Oz. Last one came from Lille!

David

• Like 1

One tip on the etched sides - if instead of just sticking them on you mark where they join the original body and file gently just inside the joins so it slopes from the metal thickness at the join to no filing over maybe 1cm or so then you can make overlay etches appear to be a seamless finish without the hassle of trying to take 3 thou off all of the side, because providing the join looks right nobody can see the slightly width change unless its a sharp transition.

Alan

Good evening,

Just thought I would post a couple of photos with the beginnings of the ramp just offered loosely into its position on the layout. Still lots to do on it before it’s permanently fixed in place. Need to finish platforms two and three too!

attachicon.gif573876AD-E3E1-435C-89AC-8F9A3AE409E5.jpeg

attachicon.gif82BE3BAC-F49E-47B8-92D1-DDFEA678F83E.jpeg

A Network Southeast liveried Class 317 departs with a stopper to Northampton.

attachicon.gif62AD8C46-87FF-4D48-8999-61C53F201958.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jez,

Was a pleasure to meet you on Sunday at DEMU! Must say there is some absolutely stunning work going on on this thread, the 317 looks superb on the track work!

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Will

Hi Jez,

Was a pleasure to meet you on Sunday at DEMU! Must say there is some absolutely stunning work going on on this thread, the 317 looks superb on the track work!

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Will

Hi Will,

Was a pleasure to meet you and Alex at the show. Thank you for your kind comments, I feel really motivated post the show and have been cracking on with some modelling since I’ve got back. I’ll post some more progress updates soon.

Bestvregarfs,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Not too much to report but today I finished laying the platform edging to platforms two and three and I've built the base of the ramp down to this platform.

No photos to post tonight of the layout but here's another photo of the prototype from my collection of class 85 number E3066 in its early livery standing at Euston in the mid 1960's.

post-10222-0-27020000-1528403957_thumb.jpg

copyright cornishtrainsjez

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 8

One tip on the etched sides - if instead of just sticking them on you mark where they join the original body and file gently just inside the joins so it slopes from the metal thickness at the join to no filing over maybe 1cm or so then you can make overlay etches appear to be a seamless finish without the hassle of trying to take 3 thou off all of the side, because providing the join looks right nobody can see the slightly width change unless its a sharp transition.

Alan

Hi Alan

Something along the lines of this perhaps with an etched class 83 side?

The body still needs a lot of work doing though and a fair bit of wet n'dry sanding....

regards

Peter

post-34427-0-42415100-1528406794_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Alan

Something along the lines of this perhaps with an etched class 83 side?

The body still needs a lot of work doing though and a fair bit of wet n'dry sanding....

regards

Peter

Looks good Peter. Like the way you have reworked the cab fronts on the 86 to achieve the upward sweep.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks good Peter. Like the way you have reworked the cab fronts on the 86 to achieve the upward sweep.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy and RBE

Many thanks for your kind comments.

It was the Hornby 83 to 86 thread I was using as the basis for the 83, and I've seen an impressive 00 gauge fleet of classes 81 to 85 modelled as well.

The trick with the forward slope on the early AC electrics is to slice out plastic between the front of the body and the sides and basically get a small piece of plasticard and push it in between the two separate bits, giving you the sloping front effect and retaining the slope - this was off the OO 83 to 86 thread. Each class appears to have a different angle to the slope from what I've seen of the Marsden and Fenn book with the technical drawings. I've gone for creating the impression and trying to have two or three distinctive features to the model of each class rather than trying emulate the very high standards of say, Richard Dockerill, who is my inspiration after he did a lovely class 82.The curvature of the cab domes are different to each class as are the windows - I've found only half a milllimeter of squadron putty on the class 86 windows to make them less tall or narrower can make a massive difference to the "face" of the loco, and more putty on the roof, carefully filled off makes for the different curve effect. All classes have different underframe detail, although these are more easily modelled.

The lengths of each class are:

81 & 85, 56ft 6in 

86/87 are 58ft 6in so the Farish chassis is 2mm over at each end, so a compromise required.

(there are American Bo-Bo chassis available at scale length, but my experiences with them have not been happy ones)

82 is 56ft (ditto above)

83 is 52ft (Farish class 33 chassis) so a scale model is do-able 

84 is 53ft (Farish class 33 chassis) ditto above

My 82 and 85 seen on my layout on the photo:

Apologies for bumping the thread, look forward to the next update on Euston.

regards

Peter

post-34427-0-96189900-1528446530_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good evening,

Those locos look great Peter. I’m really tempted now by some of those etches.

Just a quick update tonight on the ramp down to platforms two and three. Managed to complete the ramp down and now started adding the sides. In real life they are sheets of concrete so I’ve scribed the plasticard to represent the joins which will be more prominent once painted and weathered. I’ve started at the bottom of the ramp as this gives some extra support to the model structure.

Here’s a quick couple of photos, not a great one but shows how far I’ve got.

post-10222-0-22501600-1528495035_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-67257600-1528495069_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 12

Good evening,

Those locos look great Peter. I’m really tempted now by some of those etches.

Just a quick update tonight on the ramp down to platforms two and three. Managed to complete the ramp down and now started adding the sides. In real life they are sheets of concrete so I’ve scribed the plasticard to represent the joins which will be more prominent once painted and weathered. I’ve started at the bottom of the ramp as this gives some extra support to the model structure.

Here’s a quick couple of photos, not a great one but shows how far I’ve got.

attachicon.gifCFCA1BC4-01E0-45EC-8F0E-D47143316C6F.jpeg

attachicon.gif366FA933-8712-4C08-A37F-4A9339AAB5F5.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking good Jeremy!

Also if you are interested, there are a few farish 87s on ebay now, all brand new with the virgin livery. Could we also see a picture of your eurostar alongside some 86s and 90s (and whatever else you have got I have lost count!). The ramp is progressing on nicely and looks just like the real thing!  :locomotive:

Best regards, Matthew 

Looking good Jeremy!

Also if you are interested, there are a few farish 87s on ebay now, all brand new with the virgin livery. Could we also see a picture of your eurostar alongside some 86s and 90s (and whatever else you have got I have lost count!). The ramp is progressing on nicely and looks just like the real thing!  :locomotive:

Best regards, Matthew 

Thanks Matthew. I'll have a tidy round over the next few days and see if I can pose some stock and will include the Eurostar for you.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Continuing with my hand built platform edging, I’m spending tonight scribing the platform edging flag stones. These are made using 0.5mm thick by 4mm wide plastic strip. They are first offered into position and then the flagstones are marked out against the upright supports of the platform edging. Then they are lightly scribed as in the photo below. A bit long winded but hopefully will be worth all the effort. Loads of these to do!

post-10222-0-35668300-1528747530_thumb.jpeg

Each length will then be superglued into position using a MK3 coach to gauge the space between platform and coach so it doesn’t catch on the curves.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

Hi Jeremy,

I had a good time at St Neots (even got a toot!), and I am now thinking of doing an n gauge layout based on Huntingdon station. In the modern era so I can run my favourite classes and I have found an archived rmweb thread about converting a kato jr series 885 kammone into a class 395 javelin. I might get one and take a close look...

Best regards, Matthew

Hi Jeremy,

I had a good time at St Neots (even got a toot!), and I am now thinking of doing an n gauge layout based on Huntingdon station. In the modern era so I can run my favourite classes and I have found an archived rmweb thread about converting a kato jr series 885 kammone into a class 395 javelin. I might get one and take a close look...

Best regards, Matthew

Will be good that. Will watch with interest.

Best regards,

Jeremy