I just jumper back a bit to take a look at your 317 build again. It looks brilliant.

A scratch built 310 would be a pretty special, but haven't you got enough to do already :) .

If you do find a bit of spare time I found this when looking into possibilities for 321s if revolutions project doesn't go ahead for any reason.

http://n-train.net/epages/deba4b2c-2faa-4fd7-967f-c57d7bf70bd2.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/deba4b2c-2faa-4fd7-967f-c57d7bf70bd2/Products/cab005&Locale=en_GB

I just jumper back a bit to take a look at your 317 build again. It looks brilliant.

A scratch built 310 would be a pretty special, but haven't you got enough to do already :) .

If you do find a bit of spare time I found this when looking into possibilities for 321s if revolutions project doesn't go ahead for any reason.

http://n-train.net/epages/deba4b2c-2faa-4fd7-967f-c57d7bf70bd2.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/deba4b2c-2faa-4fd7-967f-c57d7bf70bd2/Products/cab005&Locale=en_GB

That looks like a good start for the cab ends. Would need to find some drawings of the coach sides and see how feasible the set would be to create. I've also been looking into the possibility of creating a class 82 and 83 using the Dapol 86 body as a base. Also, there are two resin class 85 bodyshells on my workbench so plenty to be getting on with.

I think there are some class 321 cab ends available on shapeways which could be kitbashed onto a class 150 body but I'd rather get the real deal with a revolution trains offering.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Gold

You can get a 310 unit if you feel so inclined.

Electra do vinyl sides for converting Farish (Poole) Mk.2 coackes, 3D printed ends come from N-train , a donor Farish 150 for the chassis and Dapol pantograph.

• RMweb Gold

No worries Jez, to be fair the Electric Blue on 86s myth has been stated so often in books that it's become an 'accepted fact', so much so that VT painted theirs in that shade and the same with Les Ross, lovely as they look/looked.

Apologies for thread drift.... but I thought Les Ross was (correctly to replicate the as-delivered appearance) painted in BR Blue? Is it definitely in Electric Blue?

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Apologies for thread drift.... but I thought Les Ross was (correctly to replicate the as-delivered appearance) painted in BR Blue? Is it definitely in Electric Blue?

Cheers

Ben A.

I recall a massive online debate about this not too long back, in a nutshell it was broadly accepted that because the sixes were painted in the same proportions as the 81s-85s (and accepting the vagaries of colour film at that time) it was generally assumed that the AL6s were delivered in the same shade as the prototypes: and that assumption was in fact incorrect.

Given the colour variations with film back then, the only way to know for sure is when a Can was photographed next to a Roarer. Then the difference is abundantly clear, in fact I'm sure Jez posted a Flickr pic of an AL6 next to an AL5 much earlier on in this thread and the difference is blatant.

Check this out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-evanses/8290748821/

Do you see what I mean?

Incidentally my employer (FL) were looking at returning a Can to their original livery a while ago, sadly this got kiboshed for reasons unknown, I was semi-involved in getting the details correct and that involved taking paint samples from the ones still running.

I didn't take samples from them all bit I got to most of them, in every single case, the base paintwork on the old dears was Rail Blue and definitely not Electric Blue.

Hope that helps and apologies to Jez for hijacking his thread further! But AL6s were deffo Rail Blue rather than Electric Blue, although they're not all that different in shade. 'Swindon Blue' is what we used to call it I.e. Faded Monastral.

Incidentally, the AL6s must've been the only locos ever, to be delivered in Rail Blue without any yellow panel whatsoever. True this only applied to the early examples from E310x and E316x, and even those received a yellow panel within weeks of delivery.

Ps forgot to add, the general assumption is that 86259/E3137 is midway between the two colours. If I were being particularly anal it shouldn't have red buffer beams either.

But boy, does she look lovely.

That looks like a good start for the cab ends. Would need to find some drawings of the coach sides and see how feasible the set would be to create. I've also been looking into the possibility of creating a class 82 and 83 using the Dapol 86 body as a base. Also, there are two resin class 85 bodyshells on my workbench so plenty to be getting on with.

I think there are some class 321 cab ends available on shapeways which could be kitbashed onto a class 150 body but I'd rather get the real deal with a revolution trains offering.

Best regards,

Jeremy

You have picked a great time period to model Jeremy. I wasn't born when 82s, 83s and 85s were running up and down the wcml so I don't have any memories of them, but it's great that such a variety of interesting stock is open to you.

I agree about plan A being 4 or 5 revolution class 321 sets. But the class 321 is such an important part of the wcml during my time period that I wanted to check a plan B was possible. It would just look wrong to have a layout from the period I am modelling without them running around.

They are such a critical part of a wcml layout that it has made me wonder why the uptake has been slower for the revolution models. Especially when you consider how nice the pendolinos look, plus the outrageous prices I've seen on evilbay for pendalinos and TEA show they will hold their value.

Anyway I'm slowly drifting away from your amazing project sorry.

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Ps forgot to add, the general assumption is that 86259/E3137 is midway between the two colours. If I were being particularly anal it shouldn't have red buffer beams either.

But boy, does she look lovely.

Ah this is the info I was after. I know Dapol are planning a release of 86259 but some time ago I stripped a NSE 86 bodyshell down to respray and may still go ahead if Dapol get the colour wrong.

I was going to use rail blue on the assumption that 86259 was correct - I did not know it was in a mix of the two colours!

Cheers

Ben A.

I don't actually know that for sure Ben, but it's a tad too light for Rail Blue and a tad too dark for Electric Blue.

Still looks top notch though, I always look out for it at Rugby. Beautiful!

Being a child of the sixties ( very late sixties I may add!!) and living in Macclesfield, I have full and fond memories of the 81's through to the 87's in the 1970's and 80's. We got them all through Macc, including the 304's and 310's on local services terminating at Macc but also through to Stoke-On-Trent.

The only down side was that we never really got much freight at Macclesfield, however, if memory serves, I think we did used to get a Healey Mills mixed freight in the early evenings, but where it origianted never really interested me at 10 years old back then.

On the plus side, we did used to get the drags through Macc, mainly on a Sunday when the power was off. Anything could turn up on the drags back then. Mainly 40's and 47's, but I once saw a Peak through Macc and on one very special occasion, I saw a 25 drag a dead leccy plus 12 out of Platform 13 at Man Picc on a Sunday! Nuts and bolts were flying everywhere from the roof of the rat as it shifted that lot up the gradient out of Picc! Good times.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Good morning,

Took the work camera home at the weekend and managed to get some wider angled shots of the layout.

View towards bridge.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

Sunset Pendolino!

Sunset Panndolino.JPG

Best regards,

Jeremy

Afternoon,

That really makes out Euston with the wide angle lense. Have you thought about possibly moving on to having a few early virgin 86s, 87s, and 90s. You could still run your pendo if you do it around 2005 and that would add new liveries to your collection as well. Also I was wondering if you were going to do a farish MK4 DVT as well with some mk3s. I know it's probably not prototypical but it would still get the effect of a full length 225.

Best regards, Matthew

Afternoon,

That really makes out Euston with the wide angle lense. Have you thought about possibly moving on to having a few early virgin 86s, 87s, and 90s. You could still run your pendo if you do it around 2005 and that would add new liveries to your collection as well. Also I was wondering if you were going to do a farish MK4 DVT as well with some mk3s. I know it's probably not prototypical but it would still get the effect of a full length 225.

Best regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Its a period I've thought about doing every now and then and I may have a few items in Virgin livery, although I do already have a voyager, a 350 LM Desiro and of course the pendolinos for those "modern" moments, so it could be quite easily done when the mood takes me. My primary period is that of 1989 - 1992 which allows me to include HST's and provides the opportunity for a hadful of different liveries and some of the earlier AC electric locos to be modeled. I do have a a class 91 which I'm currently respraying and this will be coupled to a MK3 set (with buffer fitted TGS) and HST DVT forming the late 80's rakes that the 91's used before the MK4 stock became available. I'd also like to get hold of a CJM class 89 if one ever becomes available for sale although I don't think they ever ran into Euston.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Matthew,

Its a period I've thought about doing every now and then and I may have a few items in Virgin livery, although I do already have a voyager, a 350 LM Desiro and of course the pendolinos for those "modern" moments, so it could be quite easily done when the mood takes me. My primary period is that of 1989 - 1992 which allows me to include HST's and provides the opportunity for a hadful of different liveries and some of the earlier AC electric locos to be modeled. I do have a a class 91 which I'm currently respraying and this will be coupled to a MK3 set (with buffer fitted TGS) and HST DVT forming the late 80's rakes that the 91's used before the MK4 stock became available. I'd also like to get hold of a CJM class 89 if one ever becomes available for sale although I don't think they ever ran into Euston.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Just a quick point Jez, the Hybrid rakes that the 91's pulled had an HST power car to provide the ETS not a DVT. HST's ave 3 phase  415v and normal loco hauled uses 850v DC. The power cars used for the hybrids were fitted with buffers and I believe that most of them have ended up on the Network Management Train.   The DVT's weren't used on the hybrids. As an aside they found that they had to have the engine on the power car linked to the 91 in multiple otherwise there were problems with oil carry over. The acceleration of the Hybrids was phenomenal.   

Jamie

Hi Matthew,

Best regards,

Jeremy

Evening,

Yeah the cjm class 89 is quite hard to get now. With me being an OO modeller my option is the sliver fox kit. It's easy to get but its only a resin body with a few bits and bobs and the chassis and motor are even harder to find (for me it is anyway). I also like the era your modelling in and would go to n gauge but my favourite locos (class 800, class 395, class 91 etc) are all easy to get in OO which is why I stick with it. However, I also have a farish A4 and a hst as well with some kato unitrack.

Best regards, Matthew

Just a quick point Jez, the Hybrid rakes that the 91's pulled had an HST power car to provide the ETS not a DVT. HST's ave 3 phase 415v and normal loco hauled uses 850v DC. The power cars used for the hybrids were fitted with buffers and I believe that most of them have ended up on the Network Management Train. The DVT's weren't used on the hybrids. As an aside they found that they had to have the engine on the power car linked to the 91 in multiple otherwise there were problems with oil carry over. The acceleration of the Hybrids was phenomenal.

Jamie

Thanks for the info Jamie. Been used to calling them HST DVT’s although I knew they were powered. You could hear the engines fully on tap as they rounded the curve at Grantham going Southbound with HST DVT screaming on the front, then the clatter of the MK3’s with the class 91 howling away bringing up the rear as they prepared to tackle Stoke Bank.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Evening,

Yeah the cjm class 89 is quite hard to get now. With me being an OO modeller my option is the sliver fox kit. It's easy to get but its only a resin body with a few bits and bobs and the chassis and motor are even harder to find (for me it is anyway). I also like the era your modelling in and would go to n gauge but my favourite locos (class 800, class 395, class 91 etc) are all easy to get in OO which is why I stick with it. However, I also have a farish A4 and a hst as well with some kato unitrack.

Best regards, Matthew

Sounds like you have the makings of a good N gauge layout. I wouldn’t worry about the class 800’s and 395’s, they’re a bit boring looking really! Farish do the class 91, and with some extra detailing like I’ve done on mine, are a really good model.

I’m currently collecting freight stock here and there as one day I’d like to model Rugby station when I eventually have more space which could be connected to euston. Ah one day......

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I just realised something, if you got another pendo (I don't think it will happen but it might do:-) you could repaint it into virgins new livery which looks like VTEC. Just a suggestion though. If you were to do it the correct paint would be humbrol RC421 (for me anyway) as it matches the VTEC clour and the Virgin west coast colours a well.

Hi Jeremy,

I just realised something, if you got another pendo (I don't think it will happen but it might do:-) you could repaint it into virgins new livery which looks like VTEC. Just a suggestion though. If you were to do it the correct paint would be humbrol RC421 (for me anyway) as it matches the VTEC clour and the Virgin west coast colours a well.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on paint. Not sure I would want to embark on a 9 or 11 car respray though. I’m struggling to find the time to finish my 317! From the Rapido newsletter it says that the second run of pendolinos will include the new livery which would be a nice addition although I do prefer the original livery.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on paint. Not sure I would want to embark on a 9 or 11 car respray though. I’m struggling to find the time to finish my 317! From the Rapido newsletter it says that the second run of pendolinos will include the new livery which would be a nice addition although I do prefer the original livery.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Morning,

I didn't know that they were. That puts them one step ahead of Hornby then. I'm slowly starting to be convinced to go back to n gauge... I also prefer the old livery as well, more colourful.

Best regards, Matthew

Morning,

I didn't know that they were. That puts them one step ahead of Hornby then. I'm slowly starting to be convinced to go back to n gauge... I also prefer the old livery as well, more colourful.

Best regards, Matthew

Go for it mate! N gauge will allow you to have scale length trains in a reasonable space.

• Like 1

Evening,

Best regards, Matthew

The good old Tram (HST) is a good start for anyone who's minded to replicate the class 89, no doubt it's been discussed on RM Web at some point and no doubt at length!

Goes for N and OO of course. Not sure what bogies are suitable, class 58 maybe?

Ok just checked. Not far off really.

Bogie pivot centers 

class 58 10800mm     scale 72.97mm

class 89 10900mm     scale 73.64mm

Outer wheel spacing

class 58  2030mm     scale 13.72mm

class 89  2100mm     scale 14.19mm

Inner wheel spacing

class 58  2150mm     scale 14.53mm

class 89  2300mm     scale 15.54mm

Overall wheelbase

class 58  14860mm   scale 100.40mm