Minimum space O gauge layout

marc smith

I have been thinking of building a layout for about 30 years now and have never got round to it! Seeing this layout and the quality achieved in a small space in a large scale means I have no excuses left! So thanks for the motivation, brilliant work.

I am looking forward to seeing the scenic sector plate which is something I have been thinking about for my layout as I want to avoid putting in a scenic break in the small space I have available (4' by 1' in OO).

Perhaps a viaduct/bridge or maybe some track in a slightly obscured siding or cutting that can be lifted in and out or swung between the 2 feed tracks with a 1 - 2ft train on it? Has any one seen any examples of this I am struggling to find inspiration! ;)

Rev

Funny you should say that Marc...

Since seeing your thread last week, I have not stopped thinking and researching all things O gauge this week :icon_eek:

I printed some point templates to lay out (blimey they are huge compared to my 2FS!) and get this....have even secured an original new Lima O class 33 in BR blue for 100 notes for which I can start to tinker with...coincides nicely with an article this month in Railway Modeller Express, I understand!

I am thinking, Ikea shelf layout, Wenfordbridge clay dries, circa 1980, BR blue Class O8 and a few Skytrex clay hoods to shunt back and forth.

See the trouble you have got me in to ;) :lol: .....How can I sneak a few O gauge purchases through the front door under the radar!

Pete

Hi Pete,

The beaty of this forum, is that we can all inspire one another....

...an idea can start with one person, taken on and adapted by another, and so on...

...it can even get back to the original person, and inspire him/her into another concept...

I built a fair bit of O stock, over several years - but just never gor round to a layout -

Now I'm glad I started something!!

Yes, points are huge when compared to 2mm :O

but you can get away with some short radii, if you're careful.

I've seen some stunning improvements to the Lima 33 - I think it's quite a bit of work to get one looking great,

but I think it would be a satisfying project.... The one in the RE article looks good to me!

I imagine that 2mm bits are easier to smuggle in to the house than O....

...I sometimes "forget" to remove them from the car boot, until SWMBO is out :rolleyes: :lol:

Cheers

Marc

P.S. Sorry to have got you spending too much ;)

I have been thinking of building a layout for about 30 years now and have never got round to it! Seeing this layout and the quality achieved in a small space in a large scale means I have no excuses left! So thanks for the motivation, brilliant work.

I am looking forward to seeing the scenic sector plate which is something I have been thinking about for my layout as I want to avoid putting in a scenic break in the small space I have available (4' by 1' in OO).

Perhaps a viaduct/bridge or maybe some track in a slightly obscured siding or cutting that can be lifted in and out or swung between the 2 feed tracks with a 1 - 2ft train on it? Has any one seen any examples of this I am struggling to find inspiration! ;)

Rev

Thanks for the kind words Dr Rev,

I've got a few ideas about scenic fiddle-yards / sector-plates....

...They could even be the model of the inside of a building, which is acessed via the "main" part of the layout....

A sliding floor, disguised by a loading platform in the foreground could work? - or similar maybe worth a try?

I've been called in to work this weekend, and can't wait to get the sector-plate finished.... :angry:

..never mind, got to find some way of paying for a Heljan class 20.... :rolleyes: ..

..they look superb....

Will try to get on with it anyway, I need to get some photos to post here,

and convince myself that this "trick" / arrangement will work as well as I'm hoping...

Marc

• RMweb Gold

P.S. Sorry to have got you spending too much ;)

Marc,

Very true what you say about this forum - It does provide inspiration amd motivation.

I think I will set up a layout topic for my idea soon - that way I can stop cluttering your thread with my ramblings.

Back on topic, your 08 does really look the part and I am sure that much time can be enjoyed using it to rearrange wagons on the layout. Looking forward to see that sector plate.

[Don't worry about the spending...I can see an 'offshore railway modelling account' being set up ;)]

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments on my loco.

Yes, there are plenty of options for something simple, in a small space. I certainly had not considered building anything in 0 gauge, but you have go me thinking. I have built a few small 0-16.5 narrow gauge and Gn15 layouts, all fairly small. These can be completed in a relatively short time and can also keep interest going. Usually promising to take to an exhibition is a good motivator! Can let you into trouble as well, where somethings can get rushed (speaking from bitter experience).

Off to an exhibition in Redruth next weekend - may find myself looking at 0 guage track and maybe a new wagon ......

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments on my loco.

Yes, there are plenty of options for something simple, in a small space....

These can be completed in a relatively short time and can also keep interest going. Usually promising to take to an exhibition is a good motivator! Can let you into trouble as well, where somethings can get rushed (speaking from bitter experience).

Off to an exhibition in Redruth next weekend - may find myself looking at 0 guage track and maybe a new wagon ......

No problems, the loco looks a nice, neat piece of work.

These days, I find myself drawn to small layouts at shows...

Everyone seems to have slightly different ways of tackling the space issue.

I do find small layouts quick to complete, but yes, you can be tempted to rush.

But to be honest, it's the planning stage you really don't want to rush.

If you get that bit right, the rest comes together more smooothly,

so it's always worth drawing the plan out actual-size, on lining paper (a quid a roll!)

Also, be sure to measure siding lengths, and uncoupling magnety positions very carefully,

and the size and position of buildings too.

An invitiation to a show is usually the best motivator - I find it focusses you to get things done, where you may normall ponder and pontificate....Well it works for me anyway. :D

And with smaller layouts, they fit nicely on the back seat of your car, rather than hiring a van. (I took Roath Minor on hols last year, much to SWMBO's dismay!....didn't get much done though, it didn't rain as expected.)

Have been working on the sector-plate alignment,

and I know I've been promising a few of you some photos.... :rolleyes:

..rest assured, I'll do them soon! (everything else in life just gets in the way of railway modelling!...)

Marc

To the people who are complaining about costs (and why wouldn't they?!) there IS an answer......MAKE IT!

It used to be a very popular pastime before eezi-bild kits came about. I remember making all the fiddly round bits in Metalwork at School, then the rest was a sheet of nickel silver from Kings Cross for 7s and 6d and some cheap wheels, Romfords for 00/EM or some steel ones from Ravenscroft Models in Leytonstone (I think) for O gauge. Done.

Less than a few quid. Update to now with pricey Slaters wheels and it still won't break the bank.

But neither will it appear overnight like a kit or an R-T-R thing.

If you can put such expenses past the Mrs., fine. If not, like me and a lot of others, I would have thought, you just gotta make it yourself.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Marc

Excellent photo's and blog. I'm chuffed to say I have had the previlage of seeing this superb layout up close and it is just that - superb!

Keep it up butty bach

Roger

ps anything new started?!

Hi All,

As promised, I’ve taken a few shots of the progress on this layout so far……I think I may call it “Clarbeston North†and the fiddle yard “Llanycefn Bank†(or Banc, for Welsh speakers).

Some of you may be familiar with “Clarbeston Road†– a station in West Wales, where a junction exists, and the line goes either to Fishguard, or south, to Pembroke Dock – via Tenby.

The backscene on the “main†part of the layout is a proprietary “Hills & Dales†print. I chose this one, as it does remind me of the hills around Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. Of course, I had to “adapt†it a little - I didn’t like the sky, and wanted to extend its’ height. I wanted mist and clouds rolling over the distant hills, so I just dabbed and sprayed some white paint at it.

A word to the wise – be careful with these commercially available back-scenes!

This one expanded when wettened with wallpaper paste, and then contracted when dry! The result was that it shrank and lifted off the hardboard back-scene!

Some areas needed cutting about + repainting! Next time, I’ll paste it onto lining paper first…..

Anyway, here are some pics of the sector-plate – I’ve attempted to demonstrate my idea of the greenery in the foreground, intended to partly disguise the movement of the plate between the tracks on the layout. It isn’t quite finished – I need to add more height to the greenery…..

Position 1 shows the the plate aligned with the track (toe of point) in the foreground, and position 2, when it’s aligned with the rear track. At eye-level, and from a short distance away, I think it works….

Obviously, when you’re closer, or at a more elevated viewpoint, and the disguise doesn’t work so well – I’m hoping that higher hedges in the foreground of the sector plate will improve the illusion, I guess we’ll see………

I’ve included a view from above too, to clarify things a bit! You’ll notice that quite a lot of greenery becomes exposed, when the plate is set to the rear road (as indicated by the arrows). I’ve deliberately left “sunken†areas here, so I could cover the area with short grass & turf – if this was longer, it could obviously hinder the movement of the plate. I know I’ve promised to show it linked to the main board, but time seems increasingly precious, as I realise that I’ve more “stuff to do†than anticipated! Rest assured, I’ll post some pics shortly!

I’ve also started work on the stream in the left foreground of the main board. This will emerge from under the bridge. I’ve always liked the look of old railway sleepers, used to as a retaining wall, and fancied experimenting with some water. Thanks to Barry Ten, for the loan of his pot of “Realistic Water†– so far so good…

Also, I’ve had another idea, about the joining of the sector and main board – I may make a little “add-on†scene, to sit in front of the join. This will probably include a high retaining-wall, leading to a ramp-access for the bridge, and a little cameo scene I have in mind……I don’t think that will be ready for Taunton though, but I’ll keep you posted.

Marc

post-2973-126926539506_thumb.jpg

post-2973-126926540369_thumb.jpg

post-2973-126926541872_thumb.jpg

post-2973-126926543217_thumb.jpg

post-2973-126926544203_thumb.jpg

Marc,

Very, very impressed, and must admit that initially I didn't grasp the 'visible sector plate' idea (but then I had teachers that said similar things in my reports).

Back in the 70s, writing in Model Railways, Don Rowland espoused layout designs without fiddle yards, and where everything was on view - he called it "the full frontal layout"

If you ever want to see what a BR black, motor fitted LMS 3F looks like in Carmarthenshire, or a Swansea Docks Peckett in BR black let me know - I think my Barclay 0-4-0F aka 'Nosmo King' would look a little out of place though.

And you've fitted S & W's too ! (of which I have much praise, very forgiving)

BTW - are you out to play this Thursday ?

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc - nice work with the sector plate, I certainly can't see much difference in the "side-on" shots & I assume a higher viewpoint will be difficult in normal circumstances - so I think it works! :icon_thumbsup2:

I'm sorry to be picky :blush: -but- I think you've got a little confused with your locations! Clarebeston is actually the junction between the Fishguard & Milford (or Neyland) lines, Whitland is the junction for the Pembroke & Tenby ;) Still, nice to have a Pembrokeshire inspiration, I have fond memories of a week's Railrover in the area in the mid 1980s...:)

Marc,

Very, very impressed, ....

And you've fitted S & W's too ! (of which I have much praise, very forgiving)

BTW - are you out to play this Thursday ?

Brian R

Hi Brian,

I should be fine for Thursday!

Yes, I was dithering a bit, with which coupling to use.

As you may remember, I use them in 4mm, in which scale, I find they're a bit fiddly to fit,

and align accurately.

Initially, I thought they may be a bit too large in 7mm, so I built all my stock with 3 links.

The invitation to the SWAG members day prompted me to get some fitted, and sure enough,

when painted, I think they don't look too obtrusive.

Nothing looks as good as 3 link, of course - but I like automatic uncoupling -\

...and my hands aren't getting any steadier.....

Thanks again for your kind words!

Marc

P.S. Rich, I'm not getting confused - I'm just continually confused!

• RMweb Gold

Ahhh.....now I get it!

Interesting idea Marc - I see what you mean about extending the available space, especially on a small layout.

I suppose normal viewing height won't be looking downwards, but more inclined, so perhaps you just have to judge the cone of viewing vision from the public when exhibiting and grass in any areas that need it.

Very impressed...

Pete

Marc,

Now I've grasped your moving / scenic sector plate - I can imagine a similar principle with the backscene being a large warehouse, goods shed or even rolling mill, and front hidden by pallisade or spearpoint fencing !

It could also be effectively used in the triangular shaped plan of a goods yard "Wellington Road" that features in Barry Norman's Wild Swan layout design book, and would all but double the visible length of the layout.

Now, someone starved for space, and with a little imagination could have a section of the LYR Salford Low-Level Goods (Irwell St.) with a 'pug' or two and a Cl.02 shunter, a few vans and sheeted opens - Bob's your uncle !

Brian R

That's fiendishly clever Mr. Smith, I do like that idea!!

Like Brian, I couldn't picture what you meant (but then, I had teachers in Swansea that said similar things to his!) but as they say a photo is worth a thousand words - & those few pics do a good job of getting rid of the need for a textbook! ;)

It's a lovely little layout & I hope you don't mind me possibly stealing some of the essence of it for my first foray into trying to build one - although as we discussed I will be staying with OO, initially at least! There was a free listing day on e-bay yesterday so I am currently liquidating some assets, & so far I've nearly sold enough for a sound equipped Bachy Class 24! B)

All the best

Keith

Marc,

Now I've grasped your moving / scenic sector plate - I can imagine a similar principle with the backscene being a large warehouse, goods shed or even rolling mill, and front hidden by pallisade or spearpoint fencing !

It could also be effectively used in the triangular shaped plan of a goods yard "Wellington Road" that features in Barry Norman's Wild Swan layout design book, and would all but double the visible length of the layout.

Now, someone starved for space, and with a little imagination could have a section of the LYR Salford Low-Level Goods (Irwell St.) with a 'pug' or two and a Cl.02 shunter, a few vans and sheeted opens - Bob's your uncle !

Brian R

Hi Brian,

I've thought of several other uses for the moving "scenic" sector-plate.

An under used (in my opinion) scenic fiddle yard technique, is that of modeling the inside of a building.

Years ago when exhibiting my "Ogmore Rd" EM layout at Kidderminster, there was a nice little model,

based on Hemyock. The line ran into the dairy, and the fiddle was placed directly behind it.

The clever bit was that the inside of the Dairy was on view, through a small window (about 2 feet 6 by 7 inches).

This meant that dairy movements were on view, but other trains disappeared, and rather than folk trying to see into the fiddle - they were distracted by the wealth of detail in the dairy....

Now extending that principle to the moving sector plate - if you modelled the inside of a building,

but the rear wall of the building was fixed in place - there's no reason why the track couldn't be on a separate, moving plate......

A few well-placed "obstructions" on the floor in front of the plate (maybe steel bars, barrels etc?)

you would still see the locos + rolling stock (albeit the top half) - but the obstructions would help disguise the movement of the plate.....

Before starting Hendre, I had started to build the inside of a loco depot in O....

...but then the fabulous "Worcester Rd" emerged, and I thought I'd put the idea on hold...

I too have fancied Barry Normans' "Weelington Rd" goods depot...in 4 and 7mm versions!!!

It's a cracking plan, but the only "downfall" (if there is one) is that the depot building,

being rather large, hides some of the movement of stock...

...could be used to advantage though, in a bit of design tweaking?

Cheers

Marc

Marc, if you ever consider selling this, can I have first dibs? - Stunning, makes me want to reach out for a Parkside Hopper kit in O ......

Hi there,

Wow! Very kind words, and if you saw this layout in the flesh - you may change your mind, honestly!

I'm not thinking about selling it, at the moment - but I'd certainly bear your kind offer in mind.

Mind you, by the time I've built the 4mm steelworks micro I should have been doing in place of this O gauge..

...if all goes to plan, I will have built 4 layouts in 2 years!!!!

...so SWMBO may well encourage me to get rid of something...

Trouble is, I can't pass a model shop these days! (Thank heavens for my Visa, and a garage so full of stuff that hiding places are plentiful!)

Also, Keith I'm pleased to see you more active on the forum again...

and it isn't stealing, so I don't mind....

..after all, we all lift a few ideas from here and there - that's what forums like this are there for....(I'm sure every plan you see has been done 100 times, in some form or other).

Just wanted to highlight my latest "strange thought" which is to place a small cameo over the join between the 2 "halves"...Perhaps a retaining wall or tall trees with some figures, in an interesting cameo....

...I've a few scemes in mind, but am open to suggestions as to whether anyone among our local characters wouldn't mind making an appearance...

Cheers again,

Marc

Hi Marc

Excellent photo's and blog. I'm chuffed to say I have had the previlage of seeing this superb layout up close and it is just that - superb!

Keep it up butty bach

Roger

ps anything new started?!

Thanks again Roger!

I've been working on building some 4mm specialist steel wagons, for my micro steelworks scheme...(may start a thread, after the SWAG day)

but I keep getting distracted......

Think I've done about 10 wagons in the past couple of months?

With a few more "under construction"

How are your 3 layouts looking?

Cheers

M

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

As scene-breaker, between the two halves, how about a large tree with some tree-surgeons lopping off branches ? It would both hide the join and provide some visual distraction.

Cheers

Stu (frantically modelling before next month!)

I too have fancied Barry Normans' "Weelington Rd" goods depot...in 4 and 7mm versions!!!

It's a cracking plan, but the only "downfall" (if there is one) is that the depot building,

being rather large, hides some of the movement of stock...

...could be used to advantage though, in a bit of design tweaking?

Marc,

When I considered 'Wellington Road' I too was concerned about the presence the warehouse, perhaps obstructing the view of such a small layout ... but then, why not view it end on, and not from the side.

With your 'full frontal' sector plate as well, it could be viewed from almost all sides.

BTW

Just committed two consecutive lunch-time hit 'n' runs at Antics, for a large quantity of Plastruct sections and tubes, destined to become overhead piping and an overhead travelling crane for the Cardiff Bar & Section Mill.

Brian

Just clocked this thread, a very big WOW!

Superb work, mind if I nick the concept for a 4mm version?

Regards, Kev

Thanks for the compliment Kev,

Of course you can "nick" the concept - I only cobbled it toigether from other "borrowed" ideas anyway!

Hope it works for you....

Marc :D

Archived